Post-Game Talk: Bergevin Press Conference at 3:30

Gustave

Feb 15, 2007
Here
It's a long summer guys. A lot time before the season starts so trades, arbirtation, etc. all a possibility.

1UP

Oct 2, 2007
Québec
Seriously, did we really improved today???? We need offence, and nothing happen.

PAP's much better than Brière.
Gilbert can pitch in offensively, Gorges cannot. As a bonus, Beaulieu is likely to start with the team now.

+20pts from PAP, +15pts from Gilbert, and +20pts from Beaulieu compared to Bouillon/Murray are realistic and conservative. Plus the bonus in points from everyone that comes with a more offensive D corps and more puck possession.

And that's all without knowing what Sekac will bring.

We didn't change our core that we drafted and developped. We however added a lot of good stuff to surround and support Price, Subban, Markov, Pacioretty, Plekanec, Desharnais, Galchenyuk, Eller and Gallagher. That's how you build a team.

I'm miffed about Gorges being let go, but Bergevin had a good free agency so far. Anything more would be gravy. And we keep some cap space for a solid deal to a team that wants to release a player for picks (like Minny's 2nd? :sarcasm:) come the trade deadline, and we can give Subban pretty much whatever he wants.

Habidelidoo

Aug 3, 2005
Maybe, but we're still lacking scoring touch on the top 2 lines. Let's be realistic.

Draft

Jan 23, 2013
Seriously, did we really improved today???? We need offence, and nothing happen.

Gilbert over Gorges?
Parenteau over Briere?
Malhotra over White?
Sekac over Gionta?*

That looks like a significant upgrade offensively to me. Our PP will likely be ~10x better with our young players steeping in (Galchenyuk-Parenteau in, Gionta-Briere out) and likely Beaulieu-Gilbert on the 2nd wave instead of Bouillon-Gorges. From what some insiders/experts are saying about Sekac, he could be making a big impact. Saved a lot of money, got some picks, and solidified our defence.

I'm happy about today.

Fish on The Sand

Untouchable
Feb 28, 2002
Canada

Parenteau is our Vanek replacement. I don't see what is so hard to understand about that.

We replaced Vanek with Parenteau - massive downgrade
We replaced Gionta with Bournival - probably about the same
We replaced Briere with Malhotra - this is actually a good move

PricePkPatch*

Parenteau is our Vanek replacement. I don't see what is so hard to understand about that.

We replaced Vanek with Parenteau - massive downgrade
We replaced Gionta with Bournival - probably about the same
We replaced Briere with Malhotra - this is actually a good move

No he isn't.

If anything, I think management's plan is that Sekac will be our Vanek replacement.

LastChancePrice

Dec 12, 2004
Ok let see:

Gilbert over Gorges. Each bring their plus and minus, but on top of that, we save 1.1 million per year, and we got room in 2 years rather than having Gorges. I love Gorges, still dont understand why we let him go. But at 4m. He was overpaid. Did we improved? Time will tell.

Malhotra over White. Yop any time.

Parenteau over Briere. Its an upgrade.

Gionta over ????: He havent got replaced yet. We have a hole here.

Vanek??: Not replaced yet.

Sekac: Hoping its not the replacment for Vanek...

So for now...sorry, we didnt improved. Gionta and Vanek were not replaced...

Scotianhab

Aug 2, 2005
Nova Scotia
Malhotra is a very good signing and great 4th line Center. Great at faceoffs and a very good pker. Upgrade over White and it keeps Prust on the wing.

Beaulieu, Gilbert & Weaver are better than Bouillon, Murray, & Gorges

Sekac is a free asset that potentially has huge upside especially if there is a Galchenyuk-Plekanec-Sekac 2nd line.

Parenteau is better than Briere.

Trade Moen for a pick & cap relief.

Pacioretty-Desharnias-Gallagher
Galchenyuk-Plekanec-Sekac/Parenteau
Bourque-Eller-Sekac/Parenteau/Bournival
Prust-Malhotra-Weise

Markov-Subban
Emelin-Gilbert
Beaulieu-Weaver
Tinordi-Pateryn

Price
Budaj-Tokarski.

No Captain this year. Plekanec, Prust, Markov & Subban with the A.

PricePkPatch*

Ok let see:

Gilbert over Gorges. Each bring their plus and minus, but on top of that, we save 1.1 million per year, and we got room in 2 years rather than having Gorges. I love Gorges, still dont understand why we let him go. But at 4m. He was overpaid. Did we improved? Time will tell.

We did not played White at all during the end-season. I hardly see how we can assess Malhorta to replace him.

Basically, Malhorta replaced Briere for 4C, and Parenteau took over Gio's 3rd W

CH25

Self-proclaimed Habs connoisseur
Apr 12, 2010
Montreal
Ok let see:

Vanek was a deadline acquisition don't forget that. He was never more than a rental. Just by not having Gionta in the line up is an improvement.

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014
Is Bergy's presser going to be broadcast somewhere?

PricePkPatch*

That's even worse then.

It's a big bet, I don't think I can disagree with the assessment.

But Plek might actually be given a change to play with young, talented players in both Chuckie and Sekac. It's a solid bet to take.

Robiyardov

Jun 27, 2006
Vanek was a end-of-season-playoff-rental : he will potentially need to be replaced when we get there, next year and hopefully by someone who will work harder and contribute more.

As a team, we are bigger, stronger and faster than we were hours ago. I'm happy with everything that's been done so far, and I would be happy if they are done for now.

bipolarhabfan

Sep 16, 2006
Burnaby, BC
I like the moves he made today. Our D is set, and Emelin now gets the chance to move back to the left side, which is his strong side. We now have three right-handed D, so the D will look something like this next season

Emelin-Subban
Markov-Gilbert
Beaulieu-Weaver
Tinordi-Patyrn

I would have liked a top-six winger. It hurts losing Vanek, but his compete level was questionable. He has no heart and does not have the drive to win.

You do not win championships during UFA time. It is the time to add pieces, but not construct a team overnight. As well, the team let go of most of the dead weight we wanted them to get rid of from last season, and managed to get bigger today. Gionta, Briere, Murray, Bouillon, Gorges, and Vanek leaving will make the team better.

Draft

Jan 23, 2013
Yeah, and you remember that Vanek guy.

Oh and Sekac won't replace Gionta. Nice try.

Vanek wasn't with us for most of the year and was a non-factor in the playoffs. Why does he need to be replaced? Never expected to keep him and glad we didn't. We improved on our playoff team and our team through most of the regular season.

We have no idea if Sekac will be able to replace Gionta. There's a good chance Bournival could and I'm quite confident a combination of the two will be able to.

Lots of free assets and cap savings.

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
Gionta, Briere, Gorges, Vanek, White became Parenteau, Malholtra, Gilbert and a wild card in Sekac.

I don't think Parenteau replaces the offense of Vanek, Gionta and Briere combined. Malholtra could be an upgrade on the 4th in terms of matchups and starts. Won't bring Briere's occassional offense.

Gilbert might be a slight upgrade on Gorges. Definitely moves the puck better. I like Gilbert's signing. MB is probably hoping that internal improvement of Beaulieu, Eller, Gallagher and Galchenyuk can fill the rest of the void not replaced.

Vanek, Gionta and Briere's offense getting replaced only by Parenteau is a little concerning.

habsfanatics*

May 20, 2012
I like all the moves today, but it's debatable if we improved. I really don't think we have replaced Gio/Gorges at all.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad