News Article: Bergevin interview on 98.5

Team_Spirit

95% Elliotte
Jul 3, 2002
Great info in this interview!

fav parts :

-MB try to talk to every GM at least once every 2 week.
-says he would have picked Galchenyuk 1st overall
-not afraid of other team gooning up
-briere>ryder
-collberg at least 3 years away

Gally11

Sep 20, 2010
Toronto
Great info in this interview!

fav parts :

-MB try to talk to every GM at least once every 2 week.
-says he would have picked Galchenyuk 1st overall
-not afraid of other team gooning up
-briere>ryder
-collberg at least 3 years away

lol I was about to post something almost identical except I was going to add I like what he said about patience with goalies as well.. He hinted without saying at teams like philly that don't give their goalies a chance to develop they end up regretting it

macavoy

May 27, 2009
Houston, Tx
Why don't people understand that we aint even contending until Galchenyuk is a 1st line center in 2-3 years. So what is the point unitl then?

Beendair Donedat

Punk in Drublic
Dec 29, 2010
Truth or Consequences, NM
The point is that it's ****ing hockey and the greatest ****ing franchise of all time. You play to win! You play for pride, you play for the CH.

Not just waking up one day and saying, oh I guess we will win now... Gretzky, Lemieux, Yzerman, Sakic... They all struggled and lost before winning. But they won. You endeavor to persevere.

PricePkPatch*

Why don't people understand that we aint even contending until Galchenyuk is a 1st line center in 2-3 years. So what is the point unitl then?

Because when Chuckie will become our star forward, I want him to have learned to always give his best, to clutch comes playoff time and to build a love for his fanbase.

Not develop a "why care" attitude, resent the fans and learn that coasting it okay.

These are human beings; they will not start caring on cue in 2-3 years just becasue you tell them that THIS YEAR, it matters.

25get

Nov 15, 2012
Montreal
MB was the GM I wanted here, so I don't want you to think I'm hating on the guy. But I feel people go out of their way to give him credit.

Point remains, we don't know what we have in McCarron. We don't. You want to give him credit for picking a guy that has big potential but is nothing but a project thus far, go for it, but that's pretty crazy. You can credit every GM in the league for doing this.

Our prospect pool is currently filled with plenty of picks from previous administration.

He surrounded the team with his buddies. Everybody believes this was a good move. We'll see if our prospect development improves.
But giving him credit for things that aren't yet determined is jumping the gun.
Seems that the real value of MB is the organization he has put in place.
We had a BG and PG era where spending was minimal and power was centralized.
I remember TT being tight lip and prevented to talk.
There is a world of difference between BG era and 24CH.

We now have a team in hockey operations.
This administration went from a centralized operation to a full cooperative approach.
He also added significant resources in player development and scouting.

When he talks about other GM's trying to pick change off his pockets, he shows that he did handle the situation quite well.
Sometimes, the best trade is the one you avoid.

On the trade side, his biggest trade was Cole for Ryder. Not only did Cole wanted to go but he got some cap space as a result. Ryder did well for us during his time in Montreal.

I like what MB is doing. He is taking a route toward teams like Boston, Chicago, Detroit, Pittsburgh and Vancouver.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Seems that the real value of MB is the organization he has put in place.
We had a BG and PG era where spending was minimal and power was centralized.
I remember TT being tight lip and prevented to talk.
There is a world of difference between BG era and 24CH.

We now have a team in hockey operations.
This administration went from a centralized operation to a full cooperative approach.
He also added significant resources in player development and scouting.

When he talks about other GM's trying to pick change off his pockets, he shows that he did handle the situation quite well.
Sometimes, the best trade is the one you avoid.

On the trade side, his biggest trade was Cole for Ryder. Not only did Cole wanted to go but he got some cap space as a result. Ryder did well for us during his time in Montreal.

I like what MB is doing. He is taking a route toward teams like Boston, Chicago, Detroit, Pittsburgh and Vancouver.

Definitely, kudos to him on reshaping the make up of the organization. However, we still don't know if those guys are actually doing a good job. This will be more evident if they develop more youngsters that reach their potential.
So far, who knows if Mellanby, Lapointe or Brisebois are actually doing a good job. It will take more time for us to really know, but yes, you can definitely give him props for at least doing that and getting more scouts.

As far as other GMs trying to short change him, well, not that this is not believable but I'd be interested to know what offers were made to him. Maybe some were bad, maybe some weren't that bad after all.

As for his Ryder vs Cole trade, had I known we were going to end up with Briere, I'd have kept Cole, or even Ryder for that matter.

Zathronas

Aug 10, 2012
Montreal
I'm not so sure where the blind faith is coming from. I see a man who is clearly inexperienced and learning on the job, and also seems to be making most things up as he goes along. Says some things that are nice, but then says some things I don't agree with at all. I see a passive guy who will be taking the longest route possible, the same route Bob Gainey traveled down.

He's done nothing to severely hamper us at this point, but he's done virtually nothing to improve us either. He's been pretty neutral so far, but I think there's more to the GM job than to not make us worse.

Only if you're looking short term. It's not blind faith but a wait and see approach.

His overhaul of the front office, scout and development is nothing short of spectacular. This more than anything else will give positive results.

his draft of 2012 was great this year a bit less so but still good

his resigning may be good or bad it's still too early. I think that despite what the Desharnais and Moen hater thinks, one season does not make a bad player.

His FA signing are short term and stopgaps until the prospect are ready.

His trades has been good but not great.

I think those who hate MB already do not see anything but the short term.

Last edited:

25get

Nov 15, 2012
Montreal
Like Kristo for Thomas?
That trade is clearly a Bergevin trade.

We need to wait a few years before judging this trade.
Kristo is two years older, can we wait till Thomas has the same age as Kristo now?

I am really upset about this trade but I am willing to wait.

Jamie Thomas

Apr 4, 2003
You can't argue that the 2012, 2013 drafts have been our 2 best in atleast a decade. Bergevin's obssession with character is because he knows that people who have character usually work hatder to achieve their potential, whatever that potential may be.!it's probably what he saw in McCarron.

Yes you can. Look up the 2007 draft.

Phil Parent

Sorel, 'fant d'chienne!
Feb 4, 2005
Sorel-Tracy, Quebec
Ron asked him if this team was "His" yet. He said no.

I'm wondering, what players on the team you guys think wouldn't be on the team if it was "His" ?

Gotta think Diaz is one.

habsfanatics*

May 20, 2012

This is a really bone-headed way of thinking. In 2-3 years pleks (number 1 center currently will be older, possibly gone), Markov (our number 1 dman for the last decade, older, possibly gone) Gionta (captain and a lock for 20 goals per year, gone) and on and on and on. If you wait for one player to develop you watch the others disappear and have no replacement for the ones you lose.

We currently have no one in our system capable of logging the minutes that either markov/pleks log. The window is now, you add pieces one move at a time. You don't put everything off for 2 years and then do everything at once. The bluejays tried this and failed miserably. No chemistry, no nothing.

Bergevin keeps talking about down the road, down the road, future, draft, bla bla bla, hopefuly at some point he'll start talking about the present, because if we postpone contending for another few years we'll be back in the same place we are today, and looking for overpaid replacements for markov/pleks just to avoid moving sideways. We don't want to become the panthers or oilers.

A couple of tweaks and this team is in the upper echelon of the league rather easily. The time is now, not 2 years from now. We're at the point where we could use a Holmgren or a Burke to put the finishing touches on. We don't need anymore passive Gainey like GMing so we cab watch our opportunity pass us by.

Subban Markov Gorges
Pleks Eller Patches Gally Galla

Price and plenty others is a very solid core that many teams can't match. Number 1 d, number 1 goalie, potential franchise center, with a great 1b covering for now, one of the best left wingers in the game, blossoming pleks lite in eller, calder nominee, we got the pieces, we need to get off our ***** and augment them.

Last edited:

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008

You can't just wake up one morning and try to contend, see how that has worked out for Edmonton the last 3 years...

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
Definitely, kudos to him on reshaping the make up of the organization. However, we still don't know if those guys are actually doing a good job. This will be more evident if they develop more youngsters that reach their potential.
So far, who knows if Mellanby, Lapointe or Brisebois are actually doing a good job. It will take more time for us to really know, but yes, you can definitely give him props for at least doing that and getting more scouts.

As far as other GMs trying to short change him, well, not that this is not believable but I'd be interested to know what offers were made to him. Maybe some were bad, maybe some weren't that bad after all.

As for his Ryder + pick vs Cole trade, had I known we were going to end up with Briere, I'd have kept Cole, or even Ryder for that matter.

fixed.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
This is a really bone-headed way of thinking. In 2-3 years pleks (number 1 center currently will be older, possibly gone), Markov (our number 1 dman for the last decade, older, possibly gone) Gionta (captain and a lock for 20 goals per year, gone) and on and on and on. If you wait for one player to develop you watch the others disappear and have no replacement for the ones you lose.

We currently have no one in our system capable of logging the minutes that either markov/pleks log. The window is now, you add pieces one move at a time. You don't put everything off for 2 years and then do everything at once. The bluejays tried this and failed miserably. No chemistry, no nothing.

Bergevin keeps talking about down the road, down the road, future, draft, bla bla bla, hopefuly at some point he'll start talking about the present, because if we postpone contending for another few years we'll be back in the same place we are today, and looking for overpaid replacements for markov/pleks just to avoid moving sideways. We don't want to become the panthers or oilers.

A couple of tweaks and this team is in the upper echelon of the league rather easily. The time is now, not 2 years from now. We're at the point where we could use a Holmgren or a Burke to put the finishing touches on. We don't need anymore passive Gainey like GMing so we cab watch our opportunity pass us by.

Subban Markov Gorges

Price and plenty others is a very solid core that many teams can't match. Number 1 d, number 1 goalie, potential franchise center, with a great 1b covering for now, one of the best left wingers in the game, blossoming pleks lite in eller, calder nominee, we got the pieces, we need to get off our ***** and augment them.

Remember the Centennial? We had one good season with a young team, then we went full Pejorative Slur to win and embarrassed ourselves.. Then we liquidated every asset for the run and after the failed run which hurt us. Impatience breeds mistakes.

PricePkPatch*

You people heard Michel Therrien interviewed by Fournier, yesterday?

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
Ron asked him if this team was "His" yet. He said no.

I'm wondering, what players on the team you guys think wouldn't be on the team if it was "His" ?

Gotta think Diaz is one.

If Diaz leaves it will be because A-he can make more money as a UFA or B-because we have young guys on the way with more upside, not because he isn't a "Bergevin guy".

Apr 6, 2011
Listening to a Ron interview is like going to the restaurant with a baby sitting at the table right next to yours.

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
Kriss E;71516699 He surrounded the team with his buddies. Everybody believes this was a good move. .[/QUOTE said:
Jeeze, man, you can't make crap up and expect to get away with it:

Therrein
Lafebvre
Daigneault
Lapointe
Dudley
Mellanby
Brisbois
Gallant
Ethan Moreau
Mark Mowers
Donald Audette
Stephan Waite

Those are the people he has hired. I may have missed one or two. i only see one buddy on that list Dudley and maybe an argument can be made for Waite. But I see that more as a case of I worked with him, I know he can do the job.

So where are all these buddies you're going on about?

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008

Subban Markov Gorges

I don't see where Plekanec will be gone in 2-3 years. He's a guy that should have 5-6 or more years left in the tank. Even if he declines a bit we have guys like Eller and Galchenyuk that should be hungry for big minutes.

Gionta, we have a slew of young wingers that should be knocking on the door the next couple years, plus Gallagher looking to grow into a bigger role. I'm not very worried about the wings, lots of good options...LeBlanc Holland McCarron Bozon Collberg Hudon Lehkonen etc Even if we had to replace Gionta with a UFA, it would hardly be a big deal.

Markov will not be easy to replace, but guys like Subban Gorges and Emelin are already in place getting 20+ minutes. In 2-3 years guys like Tinordi Beaulieu Pateryn Nygren should all be approaching their NHL prime. I'm also not discounting the fact that Markov may be retained for another 2-3 years, he's looked good in preseason, not like a guy on his last legs.

NoNachoNoParty

Dec 8, 2011
Montreal
Jeeze, man, you can't make crap up and expect to get away with it:

Therrein
Lafebvre
Daigneault
Lapointe
Dudley
Mellanby
Brisbois
Gallant
Ethan Moreau
Mark Mowers
Donald Audette
Stephan Waite

Those are the people he has hired. I may have missed one or two. i only see one buddy on that list Dudley and maybe an argument can be made for Waite. But I see that more as a case of I worked with him, I know he can do the job.

So where are all these buddies you're going on about?

I agree. And even if they were his buddies, who are we to judge their competence levels ?

1UP

Oct 2, 2007
Québec
i'm not sure that's a good thing.

It's more to do with how he's been living all across the continent than the fact he's not intelligent.

He says smart stuff in a very down to earth way, you could say. We're more used to wooden tongues like Gainey and Gauthier, the last GM we had that was so upfront was Houle.

And we don't really like to remember those years...

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Remember the Centennial? We had one good season with a young team, then we went full Pejorative Slur to win and embarrassed ourselves.. Then we liquidated every asset for the run and after the failed run which hurt us. Impatience breeds mistakes.

Except that the previous year we were bad at ES, a surpringly healthy roster all year, and we were dependent on inconsistent players. So it wasn't all that surprising that we ended up struggling the following year. Not to mention, we were also relying on kids that were just coming up and teir discipline was crap.
That being said, signing Lang and trading for Tanguay were good moves. Sadly both got big injuries.

I think we're in two completely different situations.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad