Bergevin: "I look to make this team better everyday"

JLP

Refugee
Aug 16, 2005
Does MB even lift? (...the phone)

Trade freeze finishes in 48 hours we'll see.

googlymoogly

Oct 27, 2007
OK, what do you think for tomorrow?
38843587.jpg

Refresh time.

HCH

Dec 17, 2003
The Wild West
Visit site
To be honest, Gionta has been one of our best players this year and I don't see him going anywhere. This says more about our forwards.... but Gio has been ok in my books.

Responsible defensively but he his paid to score. At anything less than 25 goals he is falling short of what the team needs him to do... and he is on pace for about 15. It's not good enough in the role he has been given on this team.

Using equivalent ice time to project his stats, Bourque would have more goals than Gionta at this point. And that's not a defense of Bourque.

Smokey Thompson

May 8, 2013
Responsible defensively but he his paid to score. At anything less than 25 goals he is falling short of what the team needs him to do... and he is on pace for about 15. It's not good enough in the role he has been given on this team.

Using equivalent ice time to project his stats, Bourque would have more goals than Gionta at this point. And that's not a defense of Bourque.

I wouldn't be opposed to resigning him for around $3m, assuming he is given a role on the 3rd line and on the PK. Sending him out on every second PP wave and using him in the dying minutes of a game when we need a goal is non sense at this point.

However, I've never told my self "wow, Gio really needs to step it up". He plays an honest game every night. His greatest attribute would be his defensive awareness and his knack for intercepting passes / shutting down the rush with his stick positioning. He'd be a good linemate for Eller on the 3rd line. He's also a great example and role model for the younger guys.

He just NEEDS to stop taking slapshots, which either miss the net by a few feet or go straight into the goalie's crest. Instead, he should use his quick release to surprise the goalie with a quick shot on net.

sampollock

Jun 7, 2008
in my home
MB and his posse should get new suits, go to the spa,

and come out swinging, making the other GM's know that the habs are players,

not just good at the draft.

Habnot

Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
I wouldn't be opposed to resigning him for around $3m, assuming he is given a role on the 3rd line and on the PK. Sending him out on every second PP wave and using him in the dying minutes of a game when we need a goal is non sense at this point.

However, I've never told my self "wow, Gio really needs to step it up". He plays an honest game every night. His greatest attribute would be his defensive awareness and his knack for intercepting passes / shutting down the rush with his stick positioning. He'd be a good linemate for Eller on the 3rd line. He's also a great example and role model for the younger guys.

He just NEEDS to stop taking slapshots, which either miss the net by a few feet or go straight into the goalie's crest. Instead, he should use his quick release to surprise the goalie with a quick shot on net.

The issue with Gionta is more about overall teams size. With Gallagher and DD already signed and not going anywhere, you have to replace Gionta with bigger body. You cannot have 3 guys under 5'8" on your top 2 lines.

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
I can see Bergevin trading Subban, I have a bad feeling about this one, they don't see Subban the same way that all of us do and it wouldn't surprise me to see him go.

Richiebottles

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Jul 26, 2010
I can see Bergevin trading Subban, I have a bad feeling about this one, they don't see Subban the same way that all of us do and it wouldn't surprise me to see him go.

If he does it will be a huge meltdown. I doubt that they would unless he asks for a trade out of Montreal. He is to important to our team even from just a marketing standpoint.

JayKing

Go Habs Go
Dec 30, 2011
Montreal

I don't. Bergevin doesn'thave the balls. (Not that I want him to trade PK, but in general, he seems like he'll never make a major move.)

sampollock

Jun 7, 2008
in my home
Ok. Enough. PK is going no where. You don't draft your whole term to find a PK. And then move him

Let's be real. PK is a star. He will be a Hab for a long time

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
The issue with Gionta is more about overall teams size. With Gallagher and DD already signed and not going anywhere, you have to replace Gionta with bigger body. You cannot have 3 guys under 5'8" on your top 2 lines.

Of course, Gionta proponents will say that Gionta would only be a 3rd line player on a renewed deal for far lesser coin. Try telling that to MT.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Ok. Enough. PK is going no where. You don't draft your whole term to find a PK. And then move him

Let's be real. PK is a star. He will be a Hab for a long time

Exactly. Plus the added bonus of PK-driven derivative revenue helps make up for any perceived overpayment. He's worth every cent. No. 1 pairing physical specimens who play an overall high level NHL game are in short order and can't be replaced. He's the generational talent that every team dreams about -- we finally have one, he's not going anywhere.

JuicyHam

Dec 16, 2013
windsor
Exactly. Plus the added bonus of PK-driven derivative revenue helps make up for any perceived overpayment. He's worth every cent. No. 1 pairing physical specimens who play an overall high level NHL game are in short order and can't be replaced. He's the generational talent that every team dreams about -- we finally have one, he's not going anywhere.

also money. I'm almost positive he is going to make the team more than anything they pay him just with merchandise.

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006

not the way he is used, he and Plekanec are used to shut down opponents...

given they have a new LW every oter game and that their focus is on shutting down other teams top line, any of the two reaching 40+ points would be GREAT...

if they were used for what they can bring, wich is two way play, then it would be a different story.

sampollock

Jun 7, 2008
in my home
MB now is the time.

Make your mark on the NHL GM's

Get a scorer, this team sucks and can't score, yet we all feel Markov is helping, yes he is

but the scoring is not going up with markov, if he is traded, how it get it worse!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad