Bergevin Discussion Thread Part V - [Mod Warning post #105]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr_Hook

Jun 4, 2006
Travis Yost just tweeted "Montreal just hired a shap sharp data guy" then did not follow up... Is it being discussed ? Legit ? Is it him ??

Gotta say I'm intrigued

*edit : just saw it being discussed in the free agent frenzy thread.

znk

Nov 5, 2005
Montreal
Travis Yost just tweeted "Montreal just hired a shap sharp data guy" then did not follow up... Is it being discussed ? Legit ? Is it him ??

Gotta say I'm intrigued

Wait do you think "hired a sharp data guy" means "traded for Sharp"?

znk

Nov 5, 2005
Montreal
No.

Toews-Teuvo-Anisimov-Desjardins seems to be what they're going with down the middle next season. They don't have a need for DD.

And I don't see them even entertaining the idea of trading TT. They'll trade Sharp/Bickell, re-sign Oduya and Stephen Johns and someone else (Rundblad, TVR) will get the other spot on the bottom pairing.

They'll ask for De la Rose.

OnTheRun

/dev/null
May 17, 2014
The Habs hiring a data guy is a close equivalent to a landfill site hiring a butler.

It doesn't matter if the coach don't understand and/or care about the said data.

dcal64

Jul 4, 2010
Ottawa
The Habs hiring a data guy is a close equivalent to a landfill site hiring a butler.

It doesn't matter if the coach don't understand and/or care about the said data.

Actually it does, the smart data guy will tell Bergevin who needs to get traded. Therrien can't play guys that are not on the team :sarcasm:

Dr_Hook

Jun 4, 2006

Well, maybe a strong data guy might demonstrate to MB the need to fire said coach... :naughty:

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
All your eggs in one basket. If it doesn't get you a cup fast, you're done for. They've mortgaged too much of their future, IMO.

Even if the Rangers don't win a Cup, I'm not sure how you can blame them for doing what they did. The only thing that one could point too is that they never really had a 1st line center and we have one waiting on the sidelines. But there comes a point where you stop playing for the future and you play for now. I think we're at this point. We always pick super-low anyways.

Fish on The Sand

Untouchable
Feb 28, 2002
Canada
No.

Toews-Teuvo-Anisimov-Desjardins seems to be what they're going with down the middle next season. They don't have a need for DD.

And I don't see them even entertaining the idea of trading TT. They'll trade Sharp/Bickell, re-sign Oduya and Stephen Johns and someone else (Rundblad, TVR) will get the other spot on the bottom pairing.

I don't think they'll be able to re-sign Oduya.

habs03

Subban #Thoroughbred
Jun 21, 2010
They might have hired someone but I think they had ppl already working on that.

I believe last year there was a conference in Mtl, I think it was hosted by Elliot Friedman at was held at Concordia, I think it was about sport management, I remember reading tweets about it while it was going on, they had few guest, I think Julien BriseBois Ast GM in Tampa, and Bergevin were there.

I believe when asked about advance stats, Bergevin talked a little about it, how they used to for preparing in incoming opponents, he was very low key about, he mentioned how the biggest mistakes the Oakland A's did in regards to advance stats in baseball is let people know about it, so he seems to like that info secret, Brisebois was in agreement with him on that.

HCH

Dec 17, 2003
The Wild West
Visit site
With one surprise signing or trade that resulted in the Habs going a long way, a lot of Bergevin's critics would be silenced. And I believe he is trying to do that without compromising the team in other areas. It is easier said than done despite what many have posted.

In the meantime he hasn't neglected other parts of the roster that needed addressing and has kept the cap in mind during the entire process. The alternative is to focus solely on a big name player and do nothing else until that player is in place. That doesn't sound like a good approach to me.

I would be ecstatic if a sniper fell into our hands at the expense of a few spare parts and low round draft choices. But if you give up too many assets, assume an over-priced contract and don't win then you have disadvantaged the team for a long time. I know it's tempting when the team was so close the past couple of years but I don't honestly believe that the mythical sniper would have taken the team over the top.

Bryson

#EugeneMolson
Jun 25, 2008
With one surprise signing or trade that resulted in the Habs going a long way, a lot of Bergevin's critics would be silenced. And I believe he is trying to do that without compromising the team in other areas. It is easier said than done despite what many have posted.

In the meantime he hasn't neglected other parts of the roster that needed addressing and has kept the cap in mind during the entire process. The alternative is to focus solely on a big name player and do nothing else until that player is in place. That doesn't sound like a good approach to me.

I would be ecstatic if a sniper fell into our hands at the expense of a few spare parts and low round draft choices. But if you give up too many assets, assume an over-priced contract and don't win then you have disadvantaged the team for a long time. I know it's tempting when the team was so close the past couple of years but I don't honestly believe that the mythical sniper would have taken the team over the top.

Desharnais 3.5M, Parentau 4M, Gilbert 3.8M, Emelin 4.1M

That's more than enough to spend on any UFA the past four years. He should be prioritizing improving our top 6 instead of our bottom six. I do believe he's trying but he can't get the job done and truth is he can spend any number of millions on a sniper as long as Therrien is the headcoach it won't make a damn difference. This is the genius that had Vanek playing on the fourth line after all. Also can't believe no one has gotten fired yet over the most pathetic PP I've ever seen. :shakehead

digmor crusher

Jul 11, 2009
If Vanek's play deserved to be on the 4th line so be it.

Yes, it will make a difference if we get a 1st line sniper, do you actually think Therrien is dumb enough not to use a guy like that in the right position? As much as everyone bashes him he is a NHL head coach, he didn't get there by being stupid? How many HF board posters have even got close to that level? " Crickets"

Powerplay woes are the players responsibility, I can't say how many times I've seen them make a bad pass, not go to the net, not shoot, not outman the other team along the boards. There are only so many ways to scheme a powerplay, our players are idiots, to me its 90% their fault.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
Power play woes are a coaching problem. They're not sending out the right players and they don't experiment.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
I don't think they'll be able to re-sign Oduya.

He's holding out on signing a contract with anyone else and waiting for the Hawks to clear space. I don't know how much longer he'll wait, but if the Hawks can move Bickell and Sharp soon, I think he'll re-sign in Chicago at a discount.

digmor crusher

Jul 11, 2009
Power play woes are a coaching problem. They're not sending out the right players and they don't experiment.

I disagree, sometimes it is a coaches problem but when I see the players out there doing the most stupid things that even you and i can see well then its a players problem.

znk

Nov 5, 2005
Montreal
Vanek denied he was injured after his playoff run was done.

He just truly has a zero reading on his playoff give-a-**** meter. He didn't score one single goal for the Wild this year.

I did not want to see that guy back with the the money he wanted.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad