Bergevin Discussion Thread Part IV - Low Expectations Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
The best is how the MB fanboys were so certain he would make moves to fix all the problems. That there was no way he'd go into next season with the exact same ****ing team.

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
This is a disturbing quote. I hope it's just PR bullcrap and not his actual feelings.

HabsDieHard*

The UFA crop is not that interesting anyway, improvements will come through trades.

Will they?

His track record in trades to date is middling at best.

Only one trade, the Petry deal, provided any sort of long standing benefit to the team.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
Аrpon Basu ‏@ArponBasu 2 minil y a 2 minutes
Bergevin sounds like #Habs will have quiet summer: "We finished second overall with the team we had...I’m comfortable with the team we have”

This can't be real. I'm having a nightmare.

How can you be comfortable with PAP/Weise and DD in the top 6? I can live with one of those 2 on the 2nd line but the 2 at the same time that's brutal.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
It's even worst than before. Before he was saying empty phrases like "We always work to improve our team". Now it's "We're confortable with the team we have". :laugh:

Shutdown

Sep 7, 2009
Montreal
I don't understand why anyone takes what he says to heart, when he usually turns around and does the opposite. He never lets on as to what his plan is, why would he start now?

Aug 25, 2009
éal
Not buying it. Not saying he will make a big splash but I'm sure he will at least try to move a bit of deadwood/passengers off this team.

Habsawce

Nov 16, 2010
Canada
Sign Kostitsyn to 1 year 1M AAV. The left side is pretty damn weak on this team. Come to think of it, the right side is pretty **** too and so is centre. God damn, our forward corps sucks!

void

Jan 5, 2006
I don't understand why anyone takes what he says to heart, when he usually turns around and does the opposite. He never lets on as to what his plan is, why would he start now?

When did he ever turn around and do the opposite of what he said?

HabsDieHard*

which is exactly why he traded for petry and vanek yup

Yes exactly.

Trades a 2nd and Collberg for Vanek

Trades a 2nd and a conditional pick for Petry.

If they walk, it's not a big deal because "he didn't mortgage the future" by trading a 1st.

You really don't see how that fits in exactly with what I'm saying?

That's ultra conservative to a T.

As opposed to, for example, trading for a younger guy with term on his contract. Because then if that player doesn't work out he has to deal with the repercussions for years.

Gives him a perfect cop out in the event the player signs elsewhere "He didn't fit in our plans" and it lets the worshippers kiss the ground he walks upon whether he signs them or not.

Mike Mike Caron

Aug 29, 2010
He said the contrary before the draft, he said he already talked to UFAs and he plans to talk to some more.

HabsDieHard*

The best is how the MB fanboys were so certain he would make moves to fix all the problems. That there was no way he'd go into next season with the exact same ****ing team.

I still don't think he is going to go all Summer without making at least a couple of moves.

BUT

He needs to stop taking a page out of that geek loser Bryan Murrays' playbook.

Stop updating everyone on everything.

No one gives a **** if you're disappointed people would question Therrien, or what your "July 1st" was.

Just shut your mouth and do your job.

He just looks like a clown.

Either he goes out and does nothing, and then everyone says "WTF is the point of telling us the truth"

Or he goes out and does something, and then everyone says "WTF is the point of opening your mouth"

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal

We are so ****ed.

we all knew he wasnt going after free agents, i mean its just crazy to think we would

its all about possible trades now

and again i feel he is just trying to shut the media up

he will be working on trying to improve tghe team for sure, just not on free agency, and thats fine, theres nobody we want there anyway

Gustave

Feb 15, 2007
Here
I'm convinced that our top 6 won't include all of PAP, DD and Weise/DSP.

At least one of them (I expect PAP) won't be back and replaced by someone outside.

Otherwise, it would be insane.

Habsawce

Nov 16, 2010
Canada
All I want to hear him say is that Michel can't coach this team anymore because he's literally turned into a leather jacket. Then say the new coach will be wearing Therrien behind the bench since he's being paid anyhow.

Aug 25, 2009
éal
Sign Kostitsyn to 1 year 1M AAV. The left side is pretty damn weak on this team. Come to think of it, the right side is pretty **** too and so is centre. God damn, our forward corps sucks!

I'm all for this kind of recovery project but not AK, that ship has sailed in Montréal especially with all he darkest day bull**** storm the made made he would be too much of a distraction

But yeah, as a player AK is exactly what we need: sniper with size and playmaking skills. He would have done well with Galchenyuk and Gallagher.

HabsDieHard*

we all knew he wasnt going after free agents, i mean its just crazy to think we would

he will be working on trying to improve tghe team for sure, just not on free agency, and thats fine, theres nobody we want there anyway

He must be the biggest moron in Montreal if he thinks quotes like that are going to shut the media, or the fans up.

Besides---He constantly talks about how he doesn't listne to the media or fans.

Why would he care what they say?

:shakehead

Habskrieg

Apr 6, 2008
Germany

We are so ****ed.

There isn't anything all that interesting on the UFA market.
We did finish 2nd overall.

Some things need to change, he knows that. He doesn't need to tell anyone who on the team he needs to trade. He doesn't want to gets his players paranoid.

Relax.

void

Jan 5, 2006

So why doesn't he just say that he'll try his best to improve the team? Why does he have to say that he's content with what he has?

First his HORRIBLE post-mortem PC and now this? I'm worried.

HabsDieHard*

There isn't anything all that interesting on the UFA market.
We did finish 2nd overall.

Some things need to change, he knows that. He doesn't need to tell anyone who on the team he needs to trade. He doesn't want to gets his players paranoid.

Relax.

"We are always looking at options to improve the team, whether we are coming off of a 28th place finish or a 2nd place finish"

Simple, crisp quote that highlights the fact that as a GM you are never satisfied.

WTF is the point of saying what he's saying?

It just makes him look like a bumbling moron.

SnapVirus

Jul 16, 2010
Mtl., QC.
Bergevin's roster when he came in :

Pacioretty - DD - Gallagher
Galchenyuk - Plekanec - Erik Cole
Rene Bourque - Lars Eller - Brian Gionta
Mathieu Darche - Travis Moen - Scott Gomez

Andrei Markov - PK Subban
Alexei Emelin - Josh Gorges
Hall Gill - Raphael Diaz
Kaberle

Bergevin's roster 4 years later :

Pacioretty - DD - Gallagher
Galchenyuk - Plekanec - (P.A. Parenteau)
(DLR) - Lars Eller - (DSP)
(Prust) - (Mitchell) - (Weise)

Andrei Markov - PK Subban
Alexei Emelin - (Jeff Petry)
Beaulieu - (Gilbert)

He solidified our Defense and our 4th line. For the rest..... eh boy!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad