Bergevin could be part of Team Canada

Blind Gardien

nexus of the crisis
Apr 2, 2004
Four Winds Bar
Meh, don't care about Team Canadas, any time MB spends away from concentrating on the Habs is time wasted, IMHO. He can see all those other players without having to be a GM on the team. Plus, I don't want any of our players on the team. I don't want him to have any influence in picking them.
:p:

OneSharpMarble

Oct 30, 2007
Calgary
What you say isn't false. But you're omitting a very important point. Except for the whole bridge deal thing with Subban, MB has been managing the cap and contracts like a boss.

And even if we're not talking salary. We don't have much dead wood on the team right now.

He's been making mostly minor moves, but each of these moves made the team slightly better.

You mean the fiasco where he raced out to sign DD and held Subban over a barrel for no reason? What a "boss" move, ended up paying more for Subban and creating a bad situation out of a good one.

He really hasn't done anything significant with the team.

attachetatuque

un gros bonhomme!
Feb 1, 2013
Does Bergevin deserve to be on Team Canada? No
Is he better than most execs on Team Canada? Probably

speaks more about the quality of people working with Team Canada currently/in the recent past than the quality of Bergevin as a GM

Anyways, it doesn't really matter does it? I could pick the team and they would still have great odds of winning gold.

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007
What you say isn't false. But you're omitting a very important point. Except for the whole bridge deal thing with Subban, MB has been managing the cap and contracts like a boss.

And even if we're not talking salary. We don't have much dead wood on the team right now.

He's been making mostly minor moves, but each of these moves made the team slightly better.
There is a sunk cost going into every season, as players age, other teams struggle, etc. We do not operate in a vacuum.

It's with this kinda thinking that I think he's been treading water at best. This team is almost entirely healthy and we're still rolling two bottom 6ers on the top line, our young players have not progressed as they should have and Subban and Galchenyuk have not hit their high gear. We're not looking like a cup contender, even though we should be, so it's looking like another wasted year.

It's not entirely on Therrien, it falls on him too.

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007
You mean the fiasco where he raced out to sign DD and held Subban over a barrel for no reason? What a "boss" move, ended up paying more for Subban and creating a bad situation out of a good one.

I'm convinced it was Molson who stepped in at the 11th hour - I think it Bergy was willing to sign Subban to that arbitration contract and see if he's "going to become a good person" and worthy of the long-term investment by the end of the season or two.

Again, he hasn't given away talent or signed long-term bad UFA contracts, but he really hasn't done much.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal

No reason? They 'settled' on 9 million per. ***** was subban asking for?:laugh:

We gave him a bridge deal, so what. Duchene got one too and many others will. Maybe subban wanted big bucks off the bat and habs wanted him to prove more consistency before that.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
The entire fiasco was avoidable, we don't have to rehash it now in some fake attempt to paint MB as the victim and Subban as some greedy monster.

My thoughts on this were exactly the same before he signed the contract.

I never panted MB as a victim in this. There's a difference between calling something a blunder and a calculated risk that fails.

Either way, Subban doesn't deserve 9 mil. MB gave too much and subban asked for too much.

yoyo999

May 24, 2012
Never understood the idea of having so many GMs. Any of us could pick a gold medal winnig roster.

I always wondered that as well, but I think each GM is probably assigned a specialty (ie forwards, D-men, powerplay guys, etc....) and then they bring that to the other GM's and they debate.

I know, I know....'Team Canada! Even my mom could win gold!!'. I think if we were actually on the selection committee we'd see there is A LOT more that goes into it than just picking whomever was on the last team or filter the top 40 scorers in the league and there's your team.

S Bah

Nov 7, 2010
victoria bc
Just remembering some or most posts when Subban wasn't yet signed and what the party line was here, about getting it done, just sayin!:nod: I calls em the way I seen em! straight up no crap!:nod:

OneSharpMarble

Oct 30, 2007
Calgary
No reason? They 'settled' on 9 million per. ***** was subban asking for?:laugh:

We gave him a bridge deal, so what. Duchene got one too and many others will. Maybe subban wanted big bucks off the bat and habs wanted him to prove more consistency before that.

Before the bridge deal Subban had not won a Norris, afterwards of course he was going to be expensive. How anyone can call this whole situation anything but a blunder is a classic case of fanboyism and rivals how gainey use to handle contacts.

Toro

Sep 6, 2005
Windsor
There is a sunk cost going into every season, as players age, other teams struggle, etc. We do not operate in a vacuum.

It's with this kinda thinking that I think he's been treading water at best. This team is almost entirely healthy and we're still rolling two bottom 6ers on the top line, our young players have not progressed as they should have and Subban and Galchenyuk have not hit their high gear. We're not looking like a cup contender, even though we should be, so it's looking like another wasted year.

It's not entirely on Therrien, it falls on him too.

I think were running with a few extra youngsters on the forward lines to see what the youngsters can do( as were sitting nicely in the standings and can afford to do this) and to save cap space to acquire the missing pieces at or near the deadline.

Asset management, cap space conscious, and puts himself in position to make a run if it is warranted.. Were building steadily and are giving our youngsters a chance to play...some not as much as you would like but at least they are in the NHL learning from NHL'ers every day...and were wining..whats not to like?

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
Before the bridge deal Subban had not won a Norris, afterwards of course he was going to be expensive. How anyone can call this whole situation anything but a blunder is a classic case of fanboyism and rivals how gainey use to handle contacts.

You expected Subban to win a Norris after holding out? Really?

Everyone thought "Maybe at some point" not ASAP.

In any case, in hindsight it would've obviously been better to sign him to some kind of smaller deal but everything is easier in hindsight. I can easily understand the logic from a business perspective. No one wants to give a kid huge bucks on a super deal(pre-lockout 8+ years was allowed) that may backfire. In business, that's terrible asset(money) management.

That being said, how can anyone justify Gauthier's tenure as 'positive' is also beyond me. His best legacy is apparently trading away players and charging them 1000+ for game worn jerseys.:laugh:

S Bah

Nov 7, 2010
victoria bc

Yes you're right every hockey fan in the world knew PK Subban would win the Norris Trophy that year!:shakehead:sarcasm:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad