Bergevin could be part of Team Canada

canadiensnation

Jun 11, 2011
GTA
McKenzie: Hockey Canada has a big meeting on Friday for Team Canada 2016, and 2015 World Championships. Hope to have a team in place by March at the GM meetings in Florida.

"When you're talking about potential people that would be in that management team, the guys from the Olympic team: Doug Armstrong, Kenny Holland, Peter Chiarelli, Kevin Lowe. But also some new names: Rob Blake, Brendan Shanahan. As well as Marc Bergevin of the Montreal Canadiens. And, get this, Marty Brodeur - recently retired as a future Hall of Fame goaltender. Hockey Canada, historically, has always loved to get those guys like Steve Yzerman, Wayne Gretzky, and others, coming directly out of their playing days and get them involved with the program."

Link: http://www.nicholsonhockey.com/worthreading/2015/2/5/insider-trading

I think this would be great for Bergevin, seems like he's been getting some good reviews around the league since taking over the GM job here in Montreal.

Baruch

I like DD (Cups)
Apr 26, 2014
Montréal
It should be Armstrong if it's one of the first four.

Unlikely Bergevin is considered IMO. Blake, Shanahan and Brodeur are (future) Hall of Fame players. Bergevin... well... ^^.
(not that he's incompetent, just that I'm trying to see Hockey Canada's Modus Operandi).

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007
He'd come in and immediately extend the coach for 4 years. Then he'll try on ties in front of the mirror for way too long while the rest of the management group awkwardly chuckle and wait. Then he'll say something about wanted this player or that player to become "a better person" and lean back in his chair and wait for it all to come together.

Team_Spirit

95% Elliotte
Jul 3, 2002
Kevin Lowe...

MacTavish.jpg

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
Kevin Lowe is very likely the most incompetent exec in the league. Thankfully he can stick to his coloring books while the adults make the final decisions.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
Honestly, i don't find this interesting because we all know Canada will win gold regardless.

S Bah

Nov 7, 2010
victoria bc
It should be Armstrong if it's one of the first four.

Unlikely Bergevin is considered IMO. Blake, Shanahan and Brodeur are (future) Hall of Fame players. Bergevin... well... ^^.
(not that he's incompetent, just that I'm trying to see Hockey Canada's Modus Operandi).

They are looking for top executives to pick personnel, not players, Bergevin fits the bill perfectly. Yzerman quit so that he can concentrate on his GM job, I would prefer Bergy takes the Habs to the SC Championship, first.:handclap:

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
He'd come in and immediately extend the coach for 4 years. Then he'll try on ties in front of the mirror for way too long while the rest of the management group awkwardly chuckle and wait. Then he'll say something about wanted this player or that player to become "a better person" and lean back in his chair and wait for it all to come together.

You're very anti MB for a guy who was so pro Gauthier.

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007
You're very anti MB for a guy who was so pro Gauthier.
I think Goat was unfairly maligned and saddled with *terrible* contracts and a dud coach. I don't think he was a net positive, just not as negative as made out to be.

Bergy waltzed into the best situation a GM could ask for - limitless budget, blue chippers in every position, cap-free buyouts, etc.

And he's only gotten as far as Goat did, he hasn't injected talent into the team and he's extended Therrien and the gong show for 4 years.

So I'm still on the fence, he's essentially coasting, he's not been proactive.

Brainiac

Registered Offender
Feb 17, 2013
Montreal
I think Goat was unfairly maligned and saddled with *terrible* contracts and a dud coach. I don't think he was a net positive, just not as negative as made out to be.

Bergy waltzed into the best situation a GM could ask for - limitless budget, blue chippers in every position, cap-free buyouts, etc.

And he's only gotten as far as Goat did, he hasn't injected talent into the team and he's extended Therrien and the gong show for 4 years.

So I'm still on the fence, he's essentially coasting, he's not been proactive.

What you say isn't false. But you're omitting a very important point. Except for the whole bridge deal thing with Subban, MB has been managing the cap and contracts like a boss.

And even if we're not talking salary. We don't have much dead wood on the team right now.

He's been making mostly minor moves, but each of these moves made the team slightly better.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad