Bergeron the Selke favorite again?

compan

Sep 30, 2009
Nashville
I don't see Kopitar or Toews competing for it this year, so maybe? As long as he can stay healthy for the rest of the season, I think he will have done enough for it to be his.

HarryLime

Jun 27, 2014
Halifax
He's the best. Voter fatigue may play a factor though and he's missed some games so Barkov might get it.

Chips

Aug 19, 2015
Morgan Reilly

I hope Backstrom will get more votes this year at least. He doesn’t even need to be on Ovi’s line to continue producing offensively.

Reactions: dukeofjive

StoneHands

Feb 26, 2013
He's the best. Voter fatigue may play a factor though and he's missed some games so Barkov might get it.
I know +/- is a pretty useless stat but the writers are lazy and I just cannot fathom them voting in a guy with a -11 half way through the season though he still has time to recover. In the last 10 years there has been one Selke finalist with a minus and that was Kopitar with a -2 a few years back and he finished 3rd.

Reactions: DominicBoltsFan

VoluntaryDom

Formerly DominicBoltsFan / Ⓐ / ✞
Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
I know +/- is a pretty useless stat but the writers are lazy and I just cannot fathom them voting in a guy with a -11 half way through the season though he still has time to recover. In the last 10 years there has been one Selke finalist with a minus and that was Kopitar with a -2 a few years back and he finished 3rd.
not to mention better on-ice stats dont like barkov this year either

HarryLime

Jun 27, 2014
Halifax
I agree with you but the narrative around here is that Barkov is in a class of his own and has passed Bergy and Kopi. I would vote Bergy unless he missed like 25 games.

Emerz

#1 PLD Fanboy
Jun 5, 2013
Nova Scotia
I don't think Barkov's even in the conversation if he's rocking a negative plus/minus at year end, let alone in the double digit negatives. Voters simply won't be willing to vote that way.

Bergeron likely finishes with 70+ points and his usual amazing defensive play so I'd think he's currently the front runner + whoever else is currently on playoff teams and playing great two way hockey.

A lot of guys that are his usual competition are having down years so might be some new looks in the finalists. Kopitar, Couturier, ROR, etc all on teams deep out of the playoff structure.

Last edited:

HolyCrap

Oct 2, 2015
His defensive numbers are inflated due to his amazing line mates and solid Dmen. He should never have won a selke prior.

I learned this from HF today. Lol.

All seriousness he’s my favourite non-leaf player by a landslide and deserves every bit of praise he gets. It’s between him and I guess Barkov.

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
its got to be Barkov for me right now

This just shows that the award is a reputation award and nothing more. Nearly every stat we have to evaluate defense shows Barkov is not the best guy in the league this year. Bergeron is amazing but he's also a reputation finalist at this point. He could play like shit all year and finish in the top 3.

It probably will be Bergeron again this year just because honestly, we have no proper way to evaluate defense in the league. Possession numbers and shot attempts for/against are dependent on the players usage and system which are completely out of their control.

And to top it off, the league prefers to give it to a big name star player when in reality, the real winner is likely some bottom 6 guy half the league hasn't heard of.

tom leafers

Jan 25, 2017
Toronto
This just shows that the award is a reputation award and nothing more. Nearly every stat we have to evaluate defense shows Barkov is not the best guy in the league this year. Bergeron is amazing but he's also a reputation finalist at this point. He could play like **** all year and finish in the top 3.

It probably will be Bergeron again this year just because honestly, we have no proper way to evaluate defense in the league. Possession numbers and shot attempts for/against are dependent on the players usage and system which are completely out of their control.

And to top it off, the league prefers to give it to a big name star player when in reality, the real winner is likely some bottom 6 guy half the league hasn't heard of.

Thats why i think the Selke is kind of a stupid award. Sure the player can obviously be more willing to play defensively, but the rest is up to the system, as you mentioned.

I just think Barkov's penalties for and against stat is amazing, which was the deciding factor for me.

Reactions: Cats2TheCup

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
He’s the best defensive forward in the nhl. Since the selke can’t be quantified like the Richard and Ross, most guys in the top 3 and the winner are there by reputation.

The usual suspects Bergeron Kopitar and Toews. You can add young Barkov to the list because he will probably be in the selke conversation for the next 10 years.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Kopitar should be nowhere near the race this year, just to confirm what others have been saying.

His production is coming around but by HIS and Selke defensive standards he has not been good and has been rather soft.

Sniperberg

Mar 30, 2017
This just shows that the award is a reputation award and nothing more. Nearly every stat we have to evaluate defense shows Barkov is not the best guy in the league this year. Bergeron is amazing but he's also a reputation finalist at this point. He could play like **** all year and finish in the top 3.

Have you ever watched Bergeron play?

PatriceBergeronFan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 15, 2011
USA

He isn't, so what is the issue?

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
And he should be. He's the best defensive forward in the game, and despite missing games this year is still on a great point pace.

Reactions: dukeofjive

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
Injury is big. If he doesn't miss another game he'll finish at 66 games. I think that would be just enough to actually win it, but he realistically can't miss anymore time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad