Player Discussion Bergeron re-signs (1 year, $2.5M base with $2.5M incentives)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
Scary.

…I just find it odd that he would want to be captain of the Boston Bruins for a couple years. I would think he’d want to play until 39-40 to have a realistic Bergeron era. But maybe he doesn’t care about that…which is strange to me.
In a way, yes, but since he's never been about individual accomplishments, I don't think that's really a factor for him. I'm sure he's proud to be captain, and he absolutely should be, but I don't think he wants people to think of it as "Bergy's team/era."

I do find the freakout on twitter a little odd. Some people are already acting like he'll never play another game for the Bruins, ever. Let the man finish out this contract in peace and if that's when he calls it quits, we can cry then. :laugh:

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
He’s easy worth 9 M on a one year deal- I’m guessing 8 M

Will be interesting how this goes

Reactions: Ladyfan

Baddkarma

El Guapo to most...
Feb 27, 2002
Midland TX
He is easily worth more than he has been getting. How much more, I'm not sure. I think he could easily get 2x8 from the Bruins and be worth every penny.

The National

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2017
Los Angeles
So as it stands now with Mcavoy locked up and taking some leaps assuming they don’t trade for any multi-year contracts this year. It looks like they’ll have around 10-13 million to sign Bergeron along with the other FAs.

Notable FAs: Debrusk, Zboril, Vaakanainen, Studnicka, Steen, Kuhlman, Keyser, Achan, Froden, and Lazar.

Obviously some of those guys are either non roster players or are replaceable but it could be close depending on how much they give to Bergeron. Doesn’t leave us with much to add with.

A lot can change til then but looking ahead it could be tight.

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009

I’m getting a bad feeling this could be Bergeron last year

Bergeron and Marchand both deserve nothing less than 10m per after current contract

I would tell Bergy to stay on a year by year basis. Especially since he will likely need one more season in addition to this one to reach 1k total point mark

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine

It forces the Bruins hand in finally looking for another top 6 center, even if Bergy secretly wants to keep playing until 40. If he signs a three year deal now, Bruins will probably continue to procrastinate. The potential of losing Bergeron one preseason after Krejci should be a wake up call to make a trade or be ready to pony up in FA for someone. I feel Bergy will resign and do what it takes to make the contract fit in terms of team structure, but that replacement needs to be in place first.

Reactions: inactive user

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
So does Bergeron want to give another discount after the Charlie deal?

People have suggested he’s going to get McAvoy AAV. I just don’t see that at all. I’ve been trying to find examples of players who get their highest AAV at this stage of their careers and besides Ovechkin I haven’t been able to find one. Jagr got a pay increase from florida from a previous season in his 40s but that was going to a new team.

Honestly if bergy is back I’d be more surprised if he got an uptick in AAV as opposed to taking the Chara route and getting paid less to win.

The National

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2017
Los Angeles
It forces the Bruins hand in finally looking for another top 6 center, even if Bergy secretly wants to keep playing until 40. If he signs a three year deal now, Bruins will probably continue to procrastinate. The potential of losing Bergeron one preseason after Krejci should be a wake up call to make a trade or be ready to pony up in FA for someone. I feel Bergy will resign and do what it takes to make the contract fit in terms of team structure, but that replacement needs to be in place first.
Ahh I see well considering the contract they gave to Coyle I think they planned for him to take over at 2c eventually, which was obviously an oversight.

The only real 1c UFA option next year is Hertl which I assume will be moved by Sharks this year before his contract expires.

We would then need to approach moving salary out if we are looking at 1Bergeron/2Hertl, or hope Bergeron takes a massive sweetheart deal.

Moving Coyle would really help things out cap wise.

Reactions: PB37

inactive user

Aug 20, 2020
Ahh I see well considering the contract they gave to Coyle I think they planned for him to take over at 2c eventually, which was obviously an oversight.

The only real 1c UFA option next year is Hertl which I assume will be moved by Sharks this year before his contract expires.

We would then need to approach moving salary out if we are looking at 1Bergeron/2Hertl, or hope Bergeron takes a massive sweetheart deal.

Moving Coyle would really help things out cap wise.
I think they’ll definitely explore potentially trading Coyle if it’s possible but I think it’s highly unlikely. They probably will end up moving out the Moore and Wagner contracts and trading DeBrusk’s RFA rights.

The National

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2017
Los Angeles
I think they’ll definitely explore potentially trading Coyle if it’s possible but I think it’s highly unlikely. They probably will end up moving out the Moore and Wagner contracts and trading DeBrusk’s RFA rights.
Well there’s 22 teams out there he can be traded to but I think they like him too much to move on.

Debrusk is a no brainer to move. Wagner and Moore might be better to keep buried at a little under 2m combined depending on what the cost is to dump them or how much cap space needed.

Reactions: inactive user

Tbaybruin

Feb 2, 2016
People have suggested he’s going to get McAvoy AAV. I just don’t see that at all. I’ve been trying to find examples of players who get their highest AAV at this stage of their careers and besides Ovechkin I haven’t been able to find one. Jagr got a pay increase from florida from a previous season in his 40s but that was going to a new team.

Honestly if bergy is back I’d be more surprised if he got an uptick in AAV as opposed to taking the Chara route and getting paid less to win.
Don’t you think he’s been under paid for a long time? Why shoild he do it again? He just saw Charlie get paid.

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
Don’t you think he’s been under paid for a long time? Why shoild he do it again? He just saw Charlie get paid.

Players 36+ historically don’t get paid career high AAVs on contracts. I spent a good amount of time earlier trying to find one example and couldn’t find any situation where a player got a career high AAV at the age of 36 or older. It just doesn’t happen. Ovechkin didn’t even get a raise.

Yes he just saw Charlie get paid. He’s also 23 years old with his best hockey ahead of him. The overwhelming vast majority of players get paid equal or less money at 36+. Nearly every case I’ve seen it’s similar to what Chara did and get one or two year deals at reduced money each year.

If you can find examples where players got career high AAVs at 36+ please feel free to share. Not saying there aren’t players out there that it’s happened to. Just very rare for that to happen. Almost never does.

Tbaybruin

Feb 2, 2016
Players 36+ historically don’t get paid career high AAVs on contracts. I spent a good amount of time earlier trying to find one example and couldn’t find any situation where a player got a career high AAV at the age of 36 or older. It just doesn’t happen. Ovechkin didn’t even get a raise.

Yes he just saw Charlie get paid. He’s also 23 years old with his best hockey ahead of him. The overwhelming vast majority of players get paid equal or less money at 36+. Nearly every case I’ve seen it’s similar to what Chara did and get one or two year deals at reduced money each year.

If you can find examples where players got career high AAVs at 36+ please feel free to share. Not saying there aren’t players out there that it’s happened to. Just very rare for that to happen. Almost never does.
Yes but if Bergeron is at the top of his game what kind of contract would he get? Even for one year

Kegs

Nov 10, 2010
Well there’s 22 teams out there he can be traded to but I think they like him too much to move on.

Debrusk is a no brainer to move. Wagner and Moore might be better to keep buried at a little under 2m combined depending on what the cost is to dump them or how much cap space needed.
I wouldn’t move debrusk

The National

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2017
Los Angeles
I wouldn’t move debrusk
The MQO on his next contract is 4.8m, he’s not worth that.

Even if he was, does it make sense to have 17m in 3 LWs (Marchand 6.25m, Hall 6m and Debrusk 4.8m) when you have bigger holes elsewhere?

Doesn’t make a whole lot of sense to me. LD could use some help, 2c could use some help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad