Player Discussion Bergeron re-signs (1 year, $2.5M base with $2.5M incentives)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Patrice Bergeron says he’ll play out the final year of his contract, and take it from there

“The way I approach this year is I want to concentrate on this year. I have a year left on my contract. I think it’d be useless of me to think about the future.
“I want to create something special. We obviously want to work toward winning a Stanley Cup. I know everyone says that, but it’s definitely our goal as a team. I think we’re always competitive to be in that group of teams. I think that’s where my focus is at right now.

Obviously, it’s a completely open door for how long Patrice wants to play the game for us,” Sweeney said, “and we’ll leave it at that.”

The fact that Bergeron’s wonky groin — a troublesome issue the last few seasons — held up fine last year was encouraging to him. Asked if his good health gives him optimism that he could extend his career by a few years, he stopped himself short.
“Yeah, I mean, I’m glad — ah, I probably shouldn’t talk about that,” he said. “I don’t want to jinx myself.
“But you know, I feel good. I feel healthy and confident, and mentally I’m excited. I want to play this year and have a good year as a team and again, that’s where my focus is at. I do feel great.”

Sevendust

Jan 11, 2010
Munich, Germany
Patrice Bergeron says he’ll play out the final year of his contract, and take it from there

“The way I approach this year is I want to concentrate on this year. I have a year left on my contract. I think it’d be useless of me to think about the future.
“I want to create something special. We obviously want to work toward winning a Stanley Cup. I know everyone says that, but it’s definitely our goal as a team. I think we’re always competitive to be in that group of teams. I think that’s where my focus is at right now.

Obviously, it’s a completely open door for how long Patrice wants to play the game for us,” Sweeney said, “and we’ll leave it at that.”

The fact that Bergeron’s wonky groin — a troublesome issue the last few seasons — held up fine last year was encouraging to him. Asked if his good health gives him optimism that he could extend his career by a few years, he stopped himself short.
“Yeah, I mean, I’m glad — ah, I probably shouldn’t talk about that,” he said. “I don’t want to jinx myself.
“But you know, I feel good. I feel healthy and confident, and mentally I’m excited. I want to play this year and have a good year as a team and again, that’s where my focus is at. I do feel great.”

Doesnt sound good for me. Bruins better get a top line center as soon as possible

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
Walking away from Chara was the right decision.

I can live with them not able to reach terms with Krejci.

But if Don lets Patrice Bergeron walk and play a single game for another NHL franchise, I will never, ever forgive him.

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
Bergeron has taken a lot of hits and has a lot of milage over the years and his job is now harder this year being the only capable center on the team. He has to think of life after hockey

Agent86

Jun 20, 2010
Missed it by That Much
Doesnt sound good for me. Bruins better get a top line center as soon as possible
Bergeron should be good for a few more seasons, has some milestones upcoming - 400 goals/1,000 points/lift the Stanley Cup as El Capitan/make another 20 million or so for a rainy day .

Only thing that might derail this plan is a potentially unannounced burning desire to play in front of the Cleary clan at the 35 and up Tuesday evening beer league in Sainte-Foy. Tuesday is half price chicken wing night as well and they also have Labatt's 50 on tap, pretty tempting and maybe worth considering.

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
yup. This guy has given everything he’s got. I won’t be shocked to see him retire at the end of the season.
I wouldn't be shocked either. He doesn't need to chase a Cup, his name is already on it. If his groin injury acts up again, how long does he want to keep fighting that? He has three young kids, at some point I'm sure he'd like to spend more time with them.

So no, I wouldn't be surprised if he retired at the end of the season.

But I wouldn't be surprised if Marchand talked him into another year, either. :laugh:

Whenever he does decide, whether it's this year or, y'know, ten years from now ;) I'm sure he won't announce retirement until the end of a season. He wouldn't want to be a distraction to the team, and he also would hate a season-long "retirement tour." I think having to sit through his 1000 game ceremony was enough of that kind of torture for him. :laugh:

Flannelman

Quiet, Gnashgab.
Dec 3, 2006
Didn’t like reading the Twitter quotes from Amalie or the original article by Marty Ports.

I don’t think this statement wavers from what Patrice said years back: he will honor his current deal.

do I want him to play forever, just for me? Yes, I’m a selfish douchecanoe and want to see him win another cup and mentor the next generation.

but he has to do what is best for him.
I’ll worry at the end of the year and enjoy this one for what it is.

However if I know this is his last year, I will absolutely go to the last home game no matter the cost.

DiggityDog

2 Minutes for Ruffing
Nov 2, 2019
Hasn’t he said this already? I don’t have it handy, but I remember him stating previously that he will honor this year than take it year by year

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
Hasn’t he said this already? I don’t have it handy, but I remember him stating previously that he will honor this year than take it year by year
Yeah, but you know the reporters had to ask again. And they will again. And again....

Reactions: DiggityDog

Sevendust

Jan 11, 2010
Munich, Germany
Bergeron should be good for a few more seasons, has some milestones upcoming - 400 goals/1,000 points/lift the Stanley Cup as El Capitan/make another 20 million or so for a rainy day .

Only thing that might derail this plan is a potentially unannounced burning desire to play in front of the Cleary clan at the 35 and up Tuesday evening beer league in Sainte-Foy. Tuesday is half price chicken wing night as well and they also have Labatt's 50 on tap, pretty tempting and maybe worth considering.

I rember reading that he would love to play for an NHL team in Quebec. Until the Nordiques will be possible back I think we are safe. Probably he will be retired before.

Reactions: Agent86

mar2kbos

Sep 28, 2017
Had a feeling since last season between starting young, groin issues and I am sure in the back of his mind is the concussion issues he suffered earlier may make him decide to hang them up. May come down to how close they get to a cup at the end of the season. If they aren’t closer or go further away that may also sway his decision

Sevendust

Jan 11, 2010
Munich, Germany
Didn’t like reading the Twitter quotes from Amalie or the original article by Marty Ports.

I don’t think this statement wavers from what Patrice said years back: he will honor his current deal.

do I want him to play forever, just for me? Yes, I’m a selfish douchecanoe and want to see him win another cup and mentor the next generation.

but he has to do what is best for him.
I’ll worry at the end of the year and enjoy this one for what it is.

However if I know this is his last year, I will absolutely go to the last home game no matter the cost.

I think it probably will be a playoff game so difficult for me to plan but I absolutely have to fly in from Germany for his jersey retirement. Doesnt matter the costs ...

Reactions: Flannelman

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
Probably in the very small minority here, but never really cared for the whole “this player has to retire with the team he’s always played for” lol hypothetically if the Bruins were to be awful this year and Bergeron can’t guarantee that he will sign a deal next year, I’d trade him for a kings ransom at the deadline.

Honestly it’s probably the best opportunity to jumpstart the rebuild. Idk maybe seeing Tom Brady go to Tampa has made me immune to the situation, but this type of stuff happens all the time.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Not saying going to happen but definitely a good chance this is it

I suggest fans get that last home game ticket

Kalus

Sep 27, 2003
Florida
Not saying going to happen but definitely a good chance this is it

I suggest fans get that last home game ticket

I think it really comes down to his level of play this season. If at the end of the season he feels like he lost a step, he will likely retire.

The fact the team team around him isn't likely to be a top contender in the next few years doesn't help.

He'll be successful in whatever his next career move will be, but I think he'd make a suoerb GM if he has the desire to build a career toward that end.

Serpico

Aug 16, 2020
NYC
the-office-no.gif

GloveSave1

*** 15 ***
Jun 11, 2003
N.Windham, CT
Scary.

…I just find it odd that he would want to be captain of the Boston Bruins for a couple years. I would think he’d want to play until 39-40 to have a realistic Bergeron era. But maybe he doesn’t care about that…which is strange to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad