OT: Bentley Generals & 2013 Allan Cup

Everest

Apr 19, 2005
Two Alberta SR AAA hockey teams have qualified for the top tournament in amateur hockey:

Bentley Generals (HOST & Alberta Champion)
&
Stony Plain Eagles (Alberta Representative)

The tournament starts one week from today, running April 15-20. The other 4 teams are Fort St John Flyers (BC) Rosetown Red Wings (SASK) Kenora Thistles (ONT) and Clarenville Caribous (NFD).

I know from posting SR AAA stuff here in the past, not everyone is aware or excited about the Allan Cup...but...I sure am!

timekeep

Apr 28, 2010
Why doesn't Smyth go play with his brother in Bentley, maybe he can finally win something.

Everest

Apr 19, 2005
Why doesn't Smyth go play with his brother in Bentley, maybe he can finally win something.

His brothers are retired now but had he not signed this contract in EDM you can bet your ass he would've been here.

We've got Trent Hunter signed with the Gens' this year. Along with a truckload of other talented players.

The Generals had an exhibition game lined up against U of A Golden Bears this year but they backed out when they looked at Bentley's roster.

And after Saskatoon Blades were swept out of WHL 1rst round, Lorne Molleken considered bridging the gap into Memorial Cup time with some exy's against Bentley & Rosetown but the Saskatoon GM quickly changed his mind when he was told how strong the SR AAA teams are.

Just sayin.

timekeep

Apr 28, 2010
His brothers are retired now but had he not signed this contract in EDM you can bet your ass he would've been here.

We've got Trent Hunter signed with the Gens' this year. Along with a truckload of other talented players.

The Generals had an exhibition game lined up against U of A Golden Bears this year but they backed out when they looked at Bentley's roster.

And after Saskatoon Blades were swept out of WHL 1rst round, Lorne Molleken considered bridging the gap into Memorial Cup time with some exy's against Bentley & Rosetown but the Saskatoon GM quickly changed his mind when he was told how strong the SR AAA teams are.

Just sayin.

It was a cut on Smyth, Bentley is always strong and I'm pretty sure they loaded up since they were hosting. Interesting that the Blades were thinking of playing them, I would have liked to have seen that on their reality show.

Good luck to the Generals team and volunteers.

Everest

Apr 19, 2005
It was a cut on Smyth, Bentley is always strong and I'm pretty sure they loaded up since they were hosting. Interesting that the Blades were thinking of playing them, I would have liked to have seen that on their reality show.

Good luck to the Generals team and volunteers.

It would've been great exposure for the Allan Cup if we could've lured Lorne into playing Bentley or Rosetown...but...I am 98% certain he is smart enough to realize he would be putting his kids in jeoprady...on many levels...for not much benefit on his end of it.

Thanks for the support :nod:

The Allan Cup final will (again) be broadcast on TSN next weekend. Hopefully "my" team can step in and grab another Cup this spring.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
I drive through Bentley about 6 or 7 times a year on my way to Rocky Mountain House. One of these years I will have to go off main street and find the hockey rink.

Everest

Apr 19, 2005
why are all these teams located in tiny towns?

I could write an essay to answer that one. Its an excellent question.

These days, the bigger centres all have very busy Arena schedules which are dominated with JR hockey teams. Thats one reason.

And...

Allan Cup teams DO exist in bigger cities, mind you. It is just the way it worked out this year, the qualifiers are coming out of mostly smaller cities.

Also...

The Gens' do very well operating out of Bentley but Bentley is only 20 minutes from Red Deer and a lot of our players are shuttled out of Calgary each weekend.

Oiltankjob Fail

Feb 10, 2013
They have a very good coach in Brandin Cote who in his playing days was a very good shutdown center who was great at faceoffs. Watch for him to pursue a coaching career.

Everest

Apr 19, 2005
They have a very good coach in Brandin Cote who in his playing days was a very good shutdown center who was great at faceoffs. Watch for him to pursue a coaching career.

He's been a god send after the mess Brian Sutter left behind in Bentley before he was fired.

Everest

Apr 19, 2005
Go Stony!!!

Stony Plain Eagles go against BC winner, Fort St John Flyers, in the opening game of the tournament next Monday (16:00HRS local time). The Eagles 2nd round robin game is next Weds. against Atlantic Champ, Clarenville Caribous.

Its a very tough field to handi-cap but I'd say Stony has a very decent chance to win their pool...and if they can do that...it would set them up as a sleeper to at least get into the Allan Cup Final and anyone who can get that far will have to like their chances.

That being said...The Army absolutley dominated Stony Plain during the regular season & the Eagles will want to avoid meeting their rivals any earlier in the tourney than the Final, IMO.

Everest

Apr 19, 2005
DAY ONE is in the books & DAY TWO is ready to roll.

Last night Bentley shut out Rosetown 2-0 and Gens' goaltender, Dan Bakala, brought the house down when he scored into an empty net. Rare feat indeed.

Early game saw Fort St John hang on to beat Stony Plain 3-2.

Today Fort St John can clinch a bye through quarters with a win over Clarenville and Bentley can do the same if they take care of Kenora Thistles.

Place is packed. City is revved. Its a great week already!

Guelkey

Mar 7, 2008
May the highest paid team win :)

So much for it being considered amateur hockey

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
JJ Hunter plays in Rosetown hey, remember when he played for our farm team? I played bantam and midget against him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad