Benoit Pouliot

McDeathbyCheerios*

To me all he's done is come in and eat up Perron's minutes because they have to somehow justify his $4 million a year. Another mistake by a brutal franchise.
Perron has been fighting with an injury, so I wouldn't say it's a bad thing Pouliot is taking up some of his minutes

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
To me all he's done is come in and eat up Perron's minutes because they have to somehow justify his $4 million a year. Another mistake by a brutal franchise.

He's getting the least amount of 5v5 time of any of the forwards.

He isn't eating up anyone's minutes.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
Am I the only one who's been happy with Pouliot? He's used his size well, been very good defensively, drives the net, and doesn't lose puck battles

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Hopefully we'll be seeing a lot more of the Pouliot that we saw tonight going forward. That's what I was hoping for when we signed him.

1-1-2 +1 3 hits and 2 takeaways

Obviously I don't expect him to be a point/game guy but I'll definitely take the intangibles that he brought tonight.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
He seems to play well against his former teams, if he can show consistency and helps to better balance our top 6 he could still prove to be a solid signing for us.

JESSEWENEEDTOCOOK

Oct 8, 2010
For the record and your guys' information, Pouliot was absolutely horrendous in the first 20-25 games of last season. Then he just turned it on and was a huge part of our success. He's a good guy to put with two talented players like Eberle/RNH because he's big, skilled enough to hang with them and drives possession.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
For the record and your guys' information, Pouliot was absolutely horrendous in the first 20-25 games of last season. Then he just turned it on and was a huge part of our success. He's a good guy to put with two talented players like Eberle/RNH because he's big, skilled enough to hang with them and drives possession.

Thanks for that, hopefully he's starting to hit his stride then.

OiledUp

Sep 17, 2011
He seems to play well against his former teams, if he can show consistency and helps to better balance our top 6 he could still prove to be a solid signing for us.

Good thing he's played for so many teams then.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Good thing he's played for so many teams then.

If only he had played with 29 teams we might be seeing the remotest bit of consistency.

I guess last nights game can be seen as a reason to be optimistic. But the history of this player has been having that talent, which was on full display last night, and seldom if ever using it.

The issue has never been the talent level with this player. Its been that he's spent most of his career being a floater.

He spent over a dozen games here so far being that.

Until last night he feels like showing up.

Do we even see 10 games/year like that from this player?

This was always going to be a high risk contract.

Some people thought this was a hard working player from a SC cup finalist that would instill good habits and a winning attitude here.. I could never figure that.

More "possession" comments I see. If only he were possessed. To be a consistent NHL player.

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
I don't have a real strong opinion on Pouliot either way.
I was against the signing strictly because this player has either worn out his welcome or been deemed expendable by five teams already. No reason to give that guy a long term deal. So far he's done nothing to make me think the other five teams had it wrong.

I really only posted in this thread to plead with the board to come up with something more dignified to call the man than "Pou" or worse "Poo".
No matter how invisible the guy may be at times, he doesn't deserve that. He's a hockey player ffs, not a baker or a dog walker.

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
I was against the signing strictly because this player has either worn out his welcome or been deemed expendable by five teams already. No reason to give that guy a long term deal. So far he's done nothing to make me think the other five teams had it wrong.

I really only posted in this thread to plead with the board to come up with something more dignified to call the man than "Pou" or worse "Poo".
No matter how invisible the guy may be at times, he doesn't deserve that. He's a hockey player ffs, not a baker or a dog walker.

How about Uncle Ben? We already have Uncle Jesse. All we need now is Danny Tanner Pearson and we got a full house.

Big Ben also seems to work.

mactforcoach

Nov 18, 2008
Drayton Valley Ab
It's nice to see Pouliot play to his potential. A year ago when Hall went down for any stretch the team was screwed, now they seem to have a short term solution. I'm not saying he should be permanent 1st line but maybe play Hall on the second line for 2 or 3 games while he gets up to speed thus giving this "new" 1st line a better look. It's as if Pouliot is bringing out the best in RNH

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
It we can have a 1A and 1B line, this team will be pretty dangerous. Hopefully they put Hall with Arco and Yak when he returns.

Crabapple

Jun 17, 2010
Edmonton
We're better with Pou than without him, so I don't mind the signing that much. Sure he's a mill overpaid, but not much we can do now. Hopefully he can be a bit more consistent than he has been

dustrock

Too Legit To Quit
Sep 22, 2008
The Hall injury is exactly why guys like him are valuable, although we no doubt had to overpay.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC

Poo is the nickname given to him by teammates i believe so nobody is calling him Poo to insult him, at least i don't think that's the intention.

As far as the player is concerned, he will never be consistent and hoping for him to be is just not realistic considering the history of the player.

The key is keeping him motivated. If the Oilers go into the tank, so will his play and he will just float his way through games basically killing time. If the team starts winning, he'll be a more prominent player.

I do think keeping him with RNH and Eberle should properly motivate him as well. Place him with Draisaitl or Arco and he will likely resort back to floating.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad