Benoit Pouliot

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Pouliot needs a playmaking center to excell. That's why he was great with the rangers, they had him playing with Brassard. I'd love him to play with RNH.

He really needs to be with skilled guys that can work off the cycle to be successful.

Draisaitl/Arcobello and Yak don't really have that kind of skillset yet.

ohheyhemsky

Regehr DooDoo
Nov 1, 2010
DT Cowtown
He really needs to be with skilled guys that can work off the cycle to be successful.

Draisaitl/Arcobello and Yak don't really have that kind of skillset yet.

Draisaitl is likely the closest, although Yak is getting pretty great at the quick dish during his version of a cycle.

If only one of Purcell or Perron were capable of playing C, we'd have ourselves a golden line. Those two are possession kings, and Pouliot would help on that cycle.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
Yeah he really needs great players to drag him around and let him produce. Which is why we gave him a big money multi year deal. Horcoff #2. Can only produce when given pp time, butter minutes with the best players. I guess we paid about 2million a year too much for those corsi numbers.

SoftDumps

Oct 11, 2013
He's been struggling with controlling the puck, that's for sure. Still, I'm not going to form a concrete opinion on a handful of viewings of a player, especially considering the state of the team the first 5 instances...

Also, anyone figuring he was going to come in and bang bodies really never watched the player. He uses his size more for puck protection than for crushing guys (although we haven't seen him control the puck much as of yet either).

Anyways, let's not get all twisted up/start patting ourselves on the back saying "I told you so" just yet...season did just start :help:

McDraekke

5-14-6-1
Jan 19, 2006
Edmonton
Yeah he really needs great players to drag him around and let him produce. Which is why we gave him a big money multi year deal. Horcoff #2. Can only produce when given pp time, butter minutes with the best players. I guess we paid about 2million a year too much for those corsi numbers.

I'm not going to defend the signing right now, because so far he has been underwhelming. But it's too few games to really tell yet, especially given our record.

But whenever someone brings up us paying him too much... I mean really guys. It's not like we went up to him and said, "Hi Benoit, nice to meet you. Here' 20 mil." It's very likely there was a bidding war for him, and we paid the most. Similar to the Clarkson scenario. Shouldn't have even come close to that amount of money... but the bidding war took things out of context for the player they were signing.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
I wonder if it has occurred to anyone that Draisitl is being dragged down by a jag 3rd liner who couldn't stick with any team for about his first 5 years in the league.
As others have said however the sample size is too small,. expect him to get 2nd or 3rd line minutes and lots of pp time soon though. He's going to be the new Horcatross.

Seems like an obvious point to me. Drai if anything has looked like a better NHL player than Pouliot already.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Typical HFboards boxcar stats analysis and inability to decipher the concept of small sample size.

Pouliot has been dragged down by Draisaitl (who isn't ready at this level). Further, he hasn't received too much TOI because of his said sheltering role.

He'll be fine when he starts getting some NHL linemates.

He just will.

Typical _____ post that doesn't bother watching games or knowing enough about numbers to be shouting down from his soap box to be taken seriously.

Last season:
80gp. 15-21-36 +10 56pim. 141sog. 141 hits 13:26/toi game

This season:
7gp. 0-2-2 -3 6pim. 10pim. 6 hits 13:59/toi game

So uhhh he's not getting "too much" toi? What are you expecting? For him to play more than Hall? He's playing more than he did for the Rags last year, he's getting PP time, I see no reason at all why someone would think that he isn't getting enough time based on his play.

I guess this is what an advanced stats warrior looks like, hopefully the next one that we sign will be even pricier and every bit as much of a non factor to us non analytics idiots.

Did Pouliot ever have a reputation of a physical player? I thought he was drafted as a skilled power forward --in a Penner/Ryan/JVR mode--a big body who could protect the puck and put up some points.
He obviously did not develop his offence, but became an effective 3rd line player who could play against top competition and occasionally chip in with some goals.

I have not seen many games this year, but i think people have been setting their expectations a bit too high for Pouliot--he's a 30 point a season player. He's had 2 points in 7 games--so he's not to far behind his normal production level. One or two good games and he will be right there.

141 hits last year, less than a hit/game this season. I expected more physicality than what he has shown.

Speed220DChalavan

Mar 29, 2014
Typical _____ post that doesn't bother watching games or knowing enough about numbers to be shouting down from his soap box to be taken seriously.

Last season:
80gp. 15-21-36 +10 56pim. 141sog. 141 hits 13:26/toi game

This season:
7gp. 0-2-2 -3 6pim. 10pim. 6 hits 13:59/toi game

So uhhh he's not getting "too much" toi? What are you expecting? For him to play more than Hall? He's playing more than he did for the Rags last year, he's getting PP time, I see no reason at all why someone would think that he isn't getting enough time based on his play.

I guess this is what an advanced stats warrior looks like, hopefully the next one that we sign will be even pricier and every bit as much of a non factor to us non analytics idiots.

141 hits last year, less than a hit/game this season. I expected more physicality than what he has shown.

How much offense are you expecting when:

1. He's baby sitting Draisaitl?
2. His EV TOI is low?

Before the Washington game (have not checked updated stats), he was 2nd on the team in EV/60 scoring.

Oct 30, 2011
Yeah, not sure that he's found his spot yet.

I really think we should be pairing him with Perron though. I think there is some chemistry there.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
How much offense are you expecting when:

1. He's baby sitting Draisaitl?
2. His EV TOI is low?

Before the Washington game (have not checked updated stats), he was 2nd on the team in EV/60 scoring.

My biggest issues are the lack of physicality and getting in on the forecheck physically. It's not all about points but he hasn't looked great offensively either.

oilersrule14

May 13, 2003
Visit site
Also, anyone figuring he was going to come in and bang bodies really never watched the player. He uses his size more for puck protection than for crushing guys (although we haven't seen him control the puck much as of yet either).

I'd respectfully disagree with that. At least from the games I've seen of him, he's thrown some huge body checks. And he's had a reputation for taking bad offensive penalties a lot of which involved him running guys. A lot like that boarding call he took earlier on this year. That's what I remember of him.

jellybeans

Nov 9, 2007
As a habs fan i'm so happy minnesota pick him at 4 can you imagine us picking him instead of Price outch that would hurt.

Tyrolean

Feb 1, 2004
As a habs fan i'm so happy minnesota pick him at 4 can you imagine us picking him instead of Price outch that would hurt.

Habs have been known to make bad picks before as with every other team. Wickenheiser over Savard ouch!

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
Yeah, not sure that he's found his spot yet.

I really think we should be pairing him with Perron though. I think there is some chemistry there.

I agree with this. I'd like to see the Pouliot-Drai-Perron line reunited. The only problem with that is moving Perron to RW means one of Yak/Purcell would have to move over to LW, a position neither has looked comfortable doing.

I still have faith Pouliot can turn it around. The skill set is great, the consistency has always been an issue. That, and dumb O-zone penalties. He's really gotta quit with those. It's starting to look like a faster version of Smitty.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I think they should tweak the lines a bit

Perron Draisaitl Pouliot
Purcell Arcobello Yakupov

But of course Eakins is not going to change anything until they stink it up again.

Klimando Kostani

Sep 17, 2013
Victoria
If I recall didn't he have a slow start in NY last year and then turn it up? Maybe he like most people in the world benefit from learning and getting comfortable with their teemates and system.

He's already been moved lines once, the line up has changed, defensive coverage has changed as we are no longer giving away huge openings in the slot since the second Vancouver game...

Give it time people. It might never come together but it will take more than a couple weeks to find out what kind of team we have here.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad