Rumor: Benning shoots down current Tanev rumors; won't guarantee he won't be traded

Machinehead

GoAwayBrady
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
There's more than enough evidence to prove that Tanev CAUSES the Canucks to give up fewer shots.

"Correlation does not mean causation" has become nothing more than a buzzword fallacy on HF that people throw out when advanced stats show CAUSATION and prove them wrong.

KreiderHouseRules*

There's more than enough evidence to prove that Tanev CAUSES the Canucks to give up fewer shots.

Of course, but not nearly to the degree that you tried to falsely claim as "facts!" Do I really need to explain this again? Just go back a page, man.

Machinehead

GoAwayBrady
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
So what's your point? Are you saying he isn't elite defensively? Are you saying the guy that allowed fewer shots than anyone far and away fewer than the guy in 2nd place (and this is already factoring in teammates which you're ignoring) isn't elite defensively?

Heraldic

Dec 12, 2013
Last year, the Canucks faced about 25 shots against every 60 minutes Taven was on the ice. Every 60 minutes he wasn't on the ice, they faced 33.

A team facing 25 shots per game would have been #1 in the whole league in shots against.

A team facing 33 would have been 30th.

He takes the Canucks from literally the worst to literally the best.

That's extremely flawed thinking.

Or do you think that on any other teams there isn't a similar variance among the d-men regarding shot suppression?

Machinehead

GoAwayBrady
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
That's extremely flawed thinking.

Or do you think that on any other teams there isn't a similar variance among the d-men regarding shot suppression?

There isn't because he led the league by a country mile? :laugh:

Sure there's a difference with most team's #1 D and their output without that guy. Nowhere near to the degree of Tanev and the Canucks.

Heraldic

Dec 12, 2013

Sure there's a difference with most team's #1 D and their output without that guy. Nowhere near to the degree of Tanev and the Canucks.

Absolute numbers don't really matter, when your argument is based on Tanev's impact with and without.

You're clearly operating under actual shots. If we examine Corsi, it doesn't seem like Tanev was that great.

In the whole league among d-men, who played at least 750 minutes, Tanev's Corsi against numbers was only 38th best. Relative to the teammate's numbers, Tanev sure did a lot better, but he still got 7 players ahead of him making him 8th best.

And as you realised, there is a difference on every team's numbers with or without their best d-man, so your argument about Tanev making the team from worst to best is just flawed, like I said.

Machinehead

GoAwayBrady
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
And again, what's the point? Are we arguing he isn't elite defensively?

Find anyone who's seen him play who doesn't think he is.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Absolute numbers don't really matter, when your argument is based on Tanev's impact with and without.

You're clearly operating under actual shots. If we examine Corsi, it doesn't seem like Tanev was that great.

In the whole league among d-men, who played at least 750 minutes, Tanev's Corsi against numbers was only 38th best. Relative to the teammate's numbers, Tanev sure did a lot better, but he still got 7 players ahead of him making him 8th best.

And as you realised, there is a difference on every team's numbers with or without their best d-man, so your argument about Tanev making the team from worst to best is just flawed, like I said.

Tanev is very good and smart about blocking shots. Normally you need to take blocked shots with a grain of salt (more shots against more chances to block cough *russell* cough) but if a player is good at shot suppression then blocking shots is also a good thing. Tanev is good at both.

Over the last 3 years (big enough sample) he's 11th in FA/60 in some good company (Vlasic is 12th). Relative to team he is a clear first in the NHL.
http://stats.hockeyanalysis.com/rat...amid=0&type=fenwick&sort=A60RelTM&sortdir=ASC

He's an elite defensive defenseman but he's not an elite attacker. If you wanted to go after him I'd go after his offense side. The team generates a bit less offense with him than without, though a his big defensive boost outweighs it by a lot.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
The only way I would trade Tanev is in a 1 for 1 trade for an exceptional young talent in return. Not saying quite Taylor Hall for Larsson value but that is the only kind of trade I would personally consider. It needs to be a pure quality trade otherwise I would prefer to keep the better player, partially due to the lack of high-end players in our organization.

OK, NAME this player please... Not one of you has thrown out a useful "1-for-1" proposal.

Yes, of course.

But it is worrisome when a player who's very good at everything else is so bad at finishing and just doesn't produce even secondary points. To play Tanev's minutes and barely crack 20 points is almost embarrassing.

When a player lacks any real offensive game, it's more of a concern that they'll become totally useless if they lose a step or their D declines for whatever reason.

Look at Staal and Girardi on NYR.

Not that either are the skater that Tanev is, but Staal was a TOP defensive player until the freak injuries derailed his career, and Girardi was a clear top-4 D, even a top-pair D for a while with his defensive effort and ~30 point contributions (10 more points than Tanev's career-high).

More importantly, it wasn't that long ago that 5.7M and 5.5M were the market values for those players on long-term deals. They both lost a step, and they're both very bad contracts now and it's not like they're 36-37. They're 29 and 32 respectively.

I'm not sure Tanev at age 29-32 is going to be as revered as he is right now. He'll be 27 in two months. He's a pretty skater and a smart, quick defensive player.

No player hides from Father Time, but guys with only one dimension to their game are simply less valuable than those who excel at both ends.

The thing is, Girardi was never actually good at suppressing shots so that's a bad example.

Staal sadly had 3 concussions and damaged orbital all in about 2 years. That's a pretty rare chain of events. had they not happened, Staal would still be a bona-fide #2 dman.

Neither one was ever quick on their feet, and Girardi especially was always horrendous at passing in general, so using them as a comparable to Tanev is apples to oranges.

Instead you should be comparing guys like Vlasic, Stralman, Ellis, etc.

There's only three teams in the world where Tanev is a 3D (or lower) - Sweden, Canada, and the LA Kings.

And yes, most forwards have peaked by 25.

Star players have peaked around 25 (see Crosby). Some players do not peak at 25. Nearly all have peaked by 29, unless again you're a late blooming star player.

Of course he could.

But then let's afford Kreider (who's almost 2 years younger) the same benefit: he could score 55-60 points easily if he's able to bring the effort consistently.

Chris Tanev is a blackhole:

1 goal and 4 primary assists at 5on5 all season.

Elite!

1D!

Woohoo!

PLEASE, stop using point production to judge how good a defensive defenseman is. The idea is that you'd put him with elite playmaker like Yandle, Ekblad, McDonagh, Subban, etc... That's where he would shine immensely. He'd probably have more point totals too

Tanev is very good and smart about blocking shots. Normally you need to take blocked shots with a grain of salt (more shots against more chances to block cough *russell* cough) but if a player is good at shot suppression then blocking shots is also a good thing. Tanev is good at both.

Over the last 3 years (big enough sample) he's 11th in FA/60 in some good company (Vlasic is 12th). Relative to team he is a clear first in the NHL.
http://stats.hockeyanalysis.com/rat...amid=0&type=fenwick&sort=A60RelTM&sortdir=ASC

He's an elite defensive defenseman but he's not an elite attacker. If you wanted to go after him I'd go after his offense side. The team generates a bit less offense with him than without, though a his big defensive boost outweighs it by a lot.

Thank you, some sound analysis here.

Nucklehead Supreme

Jul 10, 2011
Of course, but not nearly to the degree that you tried to falsely claim as "facts!" Do I really need to explain this again? Just go back a page, man.

Kreider is a 2nd line W Yes he could someday be a 60 point winger, he isn't there yet though.

Tanev is a #2 RHD Contrary to your opinion he does not need to put up 40 points a year to be placed here.

#2 RHD are worth more than 2nd line wingers no?

PetterssonSimp

Dec 12, 2008
Kreider is a 2nd line W Yes he could someday be a 60 point winger, he isn't there yet though.

Tanev is a #2 RHD Contrary to your opinion he does not need to put up 40 points a year to be placed here.

#2 RHD are worth more than 2nd line wingers no?

Just in a basic break down of value. Defence is above Winger any day of the week really. Especially when you compare where they play even on their respective teams.

Tryamkin

May 18, 2015
Canada
Wow. This thread is stupid.

If Gudbranson gets McCann + 33rd OA, Tanev gets 2X that. Arguably the best defensive defenseman in the game, getting offers like JT MILLER. Come on guys.. Seriously.:laugh:

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Wow. This thread is stupid.

If Gudbranson gets McCann + 33rd OA, Tanev gets 2X that. Arguably the best defensive defenseman in the game, getting offers like JT MILLER. Come on guys.. Seriously.:laugh:
In order for that two happen

Jim Benning would need to realise Tanev is better than gudbranson

BoHorvat 53

What's a god to a Kane
Dec 9, 2014
In order for that two happen

Jim Benning would need to realise Tanev is better than gudbranson

...except he sort of has acknowledged it.

What a strange world we live in, there's people actually trying to defend Kreider > Tanev.

yoss

May 25, 2011

Aside from what to me seems like your nitpicking here, bottom line is, as a Canucks fan who has watched nearly every game he's played in a Nucks jersey, he also passes the eye test. In flying colors. (playoffs included)

Accuse me of being unobjectively a homer if you will, but ask Connor McDavid what he thinks after playing with Tanev. The guy is underrated, big time. He is not the most offensively inclined, though even then he looks to be improving in that area. If he can develop a better shot (which is debatable, whether that will happen, admittedly) then his value is up there. Maybe a dif. defensive partner would help in that respect also.

Orca Whalers

May 24, 2013
Look, I'm a huge Canucks homer but Tanev isn't this monumentally underrated beast that some people think. He's a great stay at home defenseman and you can count on him with big minutes while making very few mistakes.

The big flaw with Tanev is his abysmal offensive production. The guy can't score and to be an elite defenseman you have to put up numbers. Tanev is a very good player and I like him on our team but I like to be objective. Tanev would absolutely be considered in the elite of d-men in the league if he could put up some respectable numbers, he doesn't but that doesn't mean he's not working on improving.

I would have been open to a trade involving Tanev & Horvat for Subban & Gallagher but the numbers probably wouldn't have worked.

Just some thoughts from an objective Canucks fan who doesn't overate and underrate players just because its my team I want to win.

BubbleGumPlant

Jul 2, 2012
Look, I'm a huge Canucks homer but Tanev isn't this monumentally underrated beast that some people think. He's a great stay at home defenseman and you can count on him with big minutes while making very few mistakes.

The big flaw with Tanev is his abysmal offensive production. The guy can't score and to be an elite defenseman you have to put up numbers. Tanev is a very good player and I like him on our team but I like to be objective. Tanev would absolutely be considered in the elite of d-men in the league if he could put up some respectable numbers, he doesn't but that doesn't mean he's not working on improving.

I would have been open to a trade involving Tanev & Horvat for Subban & Gallagher but the numbers probably wouldn't have worked.

Just some thoughts from an objective Canucks fan who doesn't overate and underrate players just because its my team I want to win.

Not overrating huh? Reality check:

Subban > Weber >>> Tanev
Gallagher > Horvat

Seventy7

May 16, 2015
Not overrating huh? Reality check:

Subban > Weber >>> Tanev
Gallagher > Horvat

Horvat will become a far more valuable player than Gallagher, and you should see that beginning this coming season... And Im a big Gallagher fan. Really tough to compare centers to wingers.

But I agree that the proposed deal doesnt work for the Habs. HOWEVER, from a Habs point of view I think Tanev++ for Subban would have been a better option for the larger picture of the franchise.

Idlerlee

Apr 19, 2013

I suppose the attitude is that Kreiders defensive chops makes up for the 20 point production deficiency Tanev offers (20 v 40p~).

While the argument being that the forwards are a large part of why the Rangers D were so bad. While ignoring that Kreider is a forward.

If you get offered Tanev for Kreider you take it and run

Kreider is soo turning 26. Tanev is not 35. The age difference isn't a factor to consider, what so ever.

NYVanfan

Mar 27, 2002
Visit site
havent read the whole thread, but arent the Rangers committed to Staal and Girardi, so maybe dont need more defensive dmen?

i think the canucks need him more .. would have to be a bluechip O player to get him outta there

JuniorNelson

Jan 21, 2010
E.Vancouver
Little mentioned is Tanev's ability to prop up a pairing. He covers three quarters of the ice so his partner has room to be creative or lame or whatever. He can easily cover for a slow guy, for example or a shooter who is always up in the O zone. He brings a ton of calm to the table, too.

This thread is kind of moot, now. The single trade he might have been involved in was Barrie. That's how this came up.

Kobe Armstrong

Jul 26, 2011
Horvat will become a far more valuable player than Gallagher, and you should see that beginning this coming season... And Im a big Gallagher fan. Really tough to compare centers to wingers.

I really doubt that.. Horvat and Gallagher scored the same number of points this year, however Horvat got his 40 in 82 games, while Gallagher only played 53.

40 points in 53 games puts Gallagher in the top-10 for RW in points per game last season. Only behind Kane, Wheeler, Tarasenko, Kucherov, Jagr, Okposo, Stone, Eriksson, and Perry. And he did this while playing with either Plekanec or Desharnais...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad