Confirmed with Link: Bennett signs 2x2.55

crackdown44

Cold milk cools down hot food
Dec 1, 2017
Arguably Bennett hasn’t been consistently good in the playoffs because we haven’t been consistently in the playoffs

So there’s that

Rangediddy

The puck was in
Oct 28, 2011
I think we can all agree that Sam Bennett is not getting worse as a player, so let's just remind ourselves he's 21 and as long as his confidence isn't completely shattered, he should be able to round into a decent top 6... whether that's as a LW, RW or C.

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
I think we can all agree that Sam Bennett is not getting worse as a player, so let's just remind ourselves he's 21 and as long as his confidence isn't completely shattered, he should be able to round into a decent top 6... whether that's as a LW, RW or C.

Uh.... Bennett's not 21 anymore. He's 23.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
I could see Bennett as the RW with Gaudreau and Monahan. Lindholm with Backlund and Tkachuk to balance the offense (thats assuming Frolik gets dealt.

I'd rather look into something like this:

Gaudreau -Monahan - Bennett (Thinking... Ferland/Chiasson type of chemistry)
Mangiapane - Lindholm - Tkachuk (Wild card. But balance of talent, speed and defensive responsibility)
Lucic - Backlund - Frolik (Backlund/Frolik pairing. Add a dude and see what transpires.)
Janko - Ryan - Czarnik (average skill, speed and physicality in relation to 4th lines)

I wouldn't make a trade unless an amazing deal was to be had. I'd just do some serious blendering in the top 9.

LMFAO

May 20, 2010
I'd rather look into something like this:

Gaudreau -Monahan - Bennett (Thinking... Ferland/Chiasson type of chemistry)
Mangiapane - Lindholm - Tkachuk (Wild card. But balance of talent, speed and defensive responsibility)
Lucic - Backlund - Frolik (Backlund/Frolik pairing. Add a dude and see what transpires.)
Janko - Ryan - Czarnik (average skill, speed and physicality in relation to 4th lines)

I wouldn't make a trade unless an amazing deal was to be had. I'd just do some serious blendering in the top 9.

The Flames needs at the very least 2M in cap space more to sign Tkachuk and Mangiapane... a deal has to happen.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
The Flames needs at the very least 2M in cap space more to sign Tkachuk and Mangiapane... a deal has to happen.

I don't completely know about 2 mil... but extra cap is nice. Cap friendly is showing 7.75 million in cap space right now with Quine on the roster (.735M) and no 7th D or Mangiapane and Tkachuk. Assuming Quine is off and that same caphit is taken by Davidson as the 7th D, That's weirdly nearly exact for a 6.75 + 1.00 for Tkachuk and Mangiapane. Another mil might be enough to bring Tkachuk to around 7.5 AAV and IMO that could mean either moving Mangiapane or Czarnik to be cap compliant if there's seriously no takers for Frolik. I'm leaning towards Mangiapane, because we have so many LHS C or LW in the pipeline (Dube/Pelletier) and a move seems inevitable sooner or later even if we move both Bennett and Tkachuk to RW.

LMFAO

May 20, 2010
I don't completely know about 2 mil... but extra cap is nice. Cap friendly is showing 7.75 million in cap space right now with Quine on the roster (.735M) and no 7th D or Mangiapane and Tkachuk. Assuming Quine is off and that same caphit is taken by Davidson as the 7th D, That's weirdly nearly exact for a 6.75 + 1.00 for Tkachuk and Mangiapane. Another mil might be enough to bring Tkachuk to around 7.5 AAV and IMO that could mean either moving Mangiapane or Czarnik to be cap compliant if there's seriously no takers for Frolik. I'm leaning towards Mangiapane, because we have so many LHS C or LW in the pipeline (Dube/Pelletier) and a move seems inevitable sooner or later even if we move both Bennett and Tkachuk to RW.

Sorry to burst your bubble dude but Tkachuk's AAV will start with 8

crackdown44

Dec 1, 2017

Kind of need to carry 23 in the west since the travel is so brutal for calling guys up when you need them. I think realistically with Davidson up we currently have 7mil in space for Tkachuk/Mangi

I think Brad is going to want a little bit of flexibility too. It’s gotta be Frolik at this point. That would leave us with 11.3 mil for Mangi (1-1.5), Lomberg (7ook) and then ~9.5mil for Tkachuk and some space for a deadline add

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Sorry to burst your bubble dude but Tkachuk's AAV will start with 8

We don't know the answer, so no point arguing. We will just have to see what transpires.

Kind of need to carry 23 in the west since the travel is so brutal for calling guys up when you need them. I think realistically with Davidson up we currently have 7mil in space for Tkachuk/Mangi

I think Brad is going to want a little bit of flexibility too. It’s gotta be Frolik at this point. That would leave us with 11.3 mil for Mangi (1-1.5), Lomberg (7ook) and then ~9.5mil for Tkachuk and some space for a deadline add

Actually, we would still be carrying 23. Quine is on the cap friendly roster. His cap hit would be applied to Davidson, so it's the 7.75 for Tkachuk and Mango. It can fit, but I agree Treliving may want some flexibility.

They were talking a lot about bridge deals for Tkachuk recently on 960... it's starting to look reasonable to grab 2-3 seasons (to retain RFA) and pay an extra 2-3 AAV to Tkachuk later. I'm warming up to that idea.

SKRusty

Napalm
Jan 20, 2016
I love self-defeating charts like this. This same metric puts Crosby and Ovechkin in the bottom 10 with Gaudreau. Which tells me the way the metric is being used is useless for determining anything.

No it shows how the bandwagon draws the conclusion that Gaudreau is close to Ovi and Crosby.. Arguably 2 of the best players over the last 15 years.

To be in their ballpark Gaudreau would have to reduce his giveaways by half. Like true members of a bandwagon, they overlook fundamental issues with a player or team. In this case somehow trying to draw a parallel between Gaudreau and Crosby or Ovi. In reality Crosby and Ovi are closer to Kane's stats than they are to Gaudreau. And just remember Ovi is a sniper and as such should have a higher giveaway rate... Crosby and Gaudreau are play-makers.

From a statistical analysis point of view Gaudreaus giveaways are over 3 standard deviations. From a stats perspective that threshold tells any statistician the player is not only bad but extraordinarily terrible.

crackdown44

Dec 1, 2017
We don't know the answer, so no point arguing. We will just have to see what transpires.

Actually, we would still be carrying 23. Quine is on the cap friendly roster. His cap hit would be applied to Davidson, so it's the 7.75 for Tkachuk and Mango. It can fit, but I agree Treliving may want some flexibility.

They were talking a lot about bridge deals for Tkachuk recently on 960... it's starting to look reasonable to grab 2-3 seasons (to retain RFA) and pay an extra 2-3 AAV to Tkachuk later. I'm warming up to that idea.

A 3 year bridge takes him to the expiration of Gio and Gaudreau so that’s actually not a bad plan. I think Gio is likely looking at retirement or a pay cut at that point and Treliving will have a clear idea of what he’s doing with Gaudreau as well. The 2.67mil from the Stone/Brouwer buyouts will also both be off the books by then and we will likely have lost some salary to Seattle in the expansion draft

3x6.75 would make too much sense

Reactions: Fig

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
No it shows how the bandwagon draws the conclusion that Gaudreau is close to Ovi and Crosby.. Arguably 2 of the best players over the last 15 years.

To be in their ballpark Gaudreau would have to reduce his giveaways by half. Like true members of a bandwagon, they overlook fundamental issues with a player or team. In this case somehow trying to draw a parallel between Gaudreau and Crosby or Ovi. In reality Crosby and Ovi are closer to Kane's stats than they are to Gaudreau. And just remember Ovi is a sniper and as such should have a higher giveaway rate... Crosby and Gaudreau are play-makers.

From a statistical analysis point of view Gaudreaus giveaways are over 3 standard deviations. From a stats perspective that threshold tells any statistician the player is not only bad but extraordinarily terrible.
I've stayed out of the all the Gaudreau talk, but man, you really need to reign it in on your Gaudreau hate. It has reached ridiculous proportions recently. Use your biases for good, not evil.

Reactions: Mazatt

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011

This is so hilariously disingenuous, so much so that it's a flat out lie. I've never ever seen anyone (Save for maybe that one crazy Devils fan) here suggest that Gaudreau is equal a player to Crosby or Ovechkin, and I know that you haven't either.

Your response is simply a really poor attempt to cover up the actual reason for the absolutely embarrassing spreadsheet you posted. Arguing that Gaudreau's G/T ratio was an issue when the same metric bears out the fact that two of the best players of this generation also have 'bad' G/T ratios.

With even an ounce of critical thinking it's pretty easy to deduce that because these elite players see the most ice time, against the hardest opponents, they are bound to end up turning the puck over more often.

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
the player is not only bad but extraordinarily terrible.

Gaudreau is extraordinarily terrible, but Bennett is elite. Got it.

Don't quit your day job.

Part of Gaudreau's turnover rates being higher than the normal because our coaches force our zone entry through him and ONLY him most of the time. Given that, teams can literally focus on him and force him to turn it over. It's literally not rocket science.

Repeating your earlier mantra at me back at you, it's like you don't even watch the games. But you are so deep down the stats are the only thing that matters rabbit hole you can't even see the fallacy of your arguments.

Reactions: Mobiandi

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
A 3 year bridge takes him to the expiration of Gio and Gaudreau so that’s actually not a bad plan. I think Gio is likely looking at retirement or a pay cut at that point and Treliving will have a clear idea of what he’s doing with Gaudreau as well. The 2.67mil from the Stone/Brouwer buyouts will also both be off the books by then and we will likely have lost some salary to Seattle in the expansion draft

3x6.75 would make too much sense

The only so called "issue" would that Treliving would have to extend Gaudreau/Tkachuk/Gio all at the same time (assuming everyone wants to stay). But TBH, I don't think Treliving sweats contract negotiations. It seems to be his forte. I do think there would be more than enough cap at that time to give both Gaudreau and Tkachuk a raise and Gio a modest pay cut extension.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria

Don't quit your day job.

Part of Gaudreau's turnover rates being higher than the normal because our coaches force our zone entry through him and ONLY him most of the time. Given that, teams can literally focus on him and force him to turn it over. It's literally not rocket science.

Repeating your earlier mantra at me back at you, it's like you don't even watch the games. But you are so deep down the stats are the only thing that matters rabbit hole you can't even see the fallacy of your arguments.

Perhaps some people don't watch too many other teams, but this can't be emphasized enough. The way that the Flames direct absolutely everything through Gaudreau when he is on the ice is not normal. A lot of teams have a superstar that they look to have carry the puck more often than others, but the Flames are unique in that they are so obvious about it. Even 5-on-5, they'll sometimes do the bump-back and have him be the only Flame skating while he carries it in. One way this team can make a big step forward is to get away from that isolation and try to act like a team when he's on the ice. The book is out on that entry method, and most of the time the opposition knows exactly what to do to stop it.

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012

Don't quit your day job.

That strategy and not adjusting it was a big big failure in the playoffs.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Perhaps some people don't watch too many other teams, but this can't be emphasized enough. The way that the Flames direct absolutely everything through Gaudreau when he is on the ice is not normal. A lot of teams have a superstar that they look to have carry the puck more often than others, but the Flames are unique in that they are so obvious about it. Even 5-on-5, they'll sometimes do the bump-back and have him be the only Flame skating while he carries it in. One way this team can make a big step forward is to get away from that isolation and try to act like a team when he's on the ice. The book is out on that entry method, and most of the time the opposition knows exactly what to do to stop it.
That's because he has a pylon for his center. They failed to address that, it's now a decease. Time to split them up.

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
Bednar figured it out pretty quick and it absolutely killed their attack

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad