Confirmed with Link: Bennett signs 2x2.55

Rangediddy

The puck was in
Oct 28, 2011
IPA5.gif

Reactions: Tofveve and Kahvi

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
Not shocked, takes him right to UFA which is probably what he wants. This could very well be his last contract here

Edit: maybe he's still an rfa after this? Good deal if so

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
Not shocked, takes him right to UFA which is probably what he wants. This could very well be his last contract here

Edit: maybe he's still an rfa after this? Good deal if so

Still an rfa after this is done. That's when he signs his 8x7 deal.

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
About what I expected. I’m pretty sure his first playoffs here doesn’t count, so he would still be an rfa after this?

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Steal..no longer saddle by Neal...60 pts if they can get him away from jank

GumbyCan2

Jul 7, 2019
Warm & Sunny
Still an rfa after this is done. That's when he signs his 8x7 deal.[/QU[/QUOTE
If he turns into a prolific scorer, 30+ goals and 10+ fights and is a positive defensive player next 2 years, then he might get 7 mil for 6 years (if inflation has hit+10% or more)
Likely-hood?

GumbyCan2

Jul 7, 2019
Warm & Sunny
Steal..no longer saddle by Neal...60 pts if they can get him away from jank
Possibly?? If he can gel with say Dillon Dube stepping up at C and find a scoring RW? Or, maybe SB-DRyan-ACzk?? SB is the toughness, basher and finishes checks, Ryan can playmaker, win draws and forecheck, sound Defensively and maybe?, Cznk finds his offensive touch and scoring?

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Fair deal. One year left of RFA once it's over which is important.

About 9.5M left for Tkachuk, Rittich and Mangiapane.

HF Flames / Media: OH my GODDDD Flames have no cap space left, what are they going to doooo?!?!

Treliving: <standing up from patio chair, setting down his beer> Let me just bang another one of these out quickly.

The overreaction on this forum was masterful. We are going to be just fine in terms of our cap, and who we have to sign. Flames have far too many valuable players, who might also be expendable, to have truly been in trouble.

Tables of Stats

Nov 1, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Canucks fan here in peace.

What do you realistically see Sam Bennett's ceiling as? I see some of you talking raises, but this is a player who hasn't been able to replicate his rookie season in his next three years pro. His TOI per game has been steady from season to season, suggesting that this isn't a usage issue. What are his flaws, what's holding him back from taking the next step and becoming a second line player instead of a skilled 3rd liner?

Having watched players on the Canucks, like Kassian and Virtanen, struggle to grow I'm interested in your take when it comes to a similar type of player.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012

What do you realistically see Sam Bennett's ceiling as? I see some of you talking raises, but this is a player who hasn't been able to replicate his rookie season in his next three years pro. His TOI per game has been steady from season to season, suggesting that this isn't a usage issue. What are his flaws, what's holding him back from taking the next step and becoming a second line player instead of a skilled 3rd liner?

Having watched players on the Canucks, like Kassian and Virtanen, struggle to grow I'm interested in your take when it comes to a similar type of player.
I can't speak on Kassian or Virtanen and their situations, but Bennett is a weird case IMO. Bennett has improved each season, contrary to what his point totals suggest. Between seasons 2 & 3, his defensive game grew. Now between his 3rd and 4th season, his physical impact on the game grew, as did the amount he uses his linemates.

Bennett's biggest problems have been ineffectively using his linemates (which, as mentioned, has improved) and his inability to finish off great scoring chances. He's always involved in the play, he isn't a liability defensively, he has a positive impact physically, and he's always creating scoring chances. I think this is why everyone is clinging to the idea of him breaking out because other than the puck actually crossing the line, he has been playing very well.

SKRusty

Napalm
Jan 20, 2016
I can't speak on Kassian or Virtanen and their situations, but Bennett is a weird case IMO. Bennett has improved each season, contrary to what his point totals suggest. Between seasons 2 & 3, his defensive game grew. Now between his 3rd and 4th season, his physical impact on the game grew, as did the amount he uses his linemates.

Bennett's biggest problems have been ineffectively using his linemates (which, as mentioned, has improved) and his inability to finish off great scoring chances. He's always involved in the play, he isn't a liability defensively, he has a positive impact physically, and he's always creating scoring chances. I think this is why everyone is clinging to the idea of him breaking out because other than the puck actually crossing the line, he has been playing very well.

To put this as succinctly as possible the only part of Sam's game that is not yet at a star NHL level is his play-making abilities. Sam may never be a 70 point player but 50 with amazing possession numbers is very possible and even his play-making abilities have grown. I was very impressed with Sam's game in the playoffs.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
To put this as succinctly as possible the only part of Sam's game that is not yet at a star NHL level is his play-making abilities. Sam may never be a 70 point player but 50 with amazing possession numbers is very possible and even his play-making abilities have grown. I was very impressed with Sam's game in the playoffs.

He also missed on many of his shots.

He created lots of chances but only cashed in a few.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
Bennett's shot sucks. It's probably the worst part of his game. He's also a guy that thrives with faster teammates (fast in the sense of skating and thinking/hockey IQ). No surprise he looked dangerous with Gaudreau on the other wing in the brief time they played together in the ploffs.

I'm really excited to see what he can do in a top 6 role. This could be the year the floodgates open for him

Last edited:
Reactions: Tofveve

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014

Throw a softball around with Bennett's name on it and it might come back marked as Kesler lite, winger version. I think that might still be a possibility of his ceiling. His floor seems to be Micheal Ferland IMO.

I also feel like one of Bennett's strengths is chaos. He can cause all sorts of ruckus in the offensive zone and get in the right spot for lucky bounces to go our way. However, in structured systems like Gulutzan's system and possibly Peters system, he's not thriving as much. He thrived the most under Hartley who has a simple system that also thrives on chaos.

As mentioned already, Bennett thrives with other fast players. I think his best style of game is one that is designed the speed of all players on the ice causes the play to go faster than all the players on the ice can process. I really want him to play RW with Gaudreau and Monahan to see if he can invoke the same type of chemistry Hudler and Ferland were able to enjoy, but more consistently.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad