Benefit to Buffalo of CAD$ Crashing?

MayDay

Oct 21, 2005
Pleasantville, NY
One could also argue that Buffalo may be hit the hardest out of all the American teams with a declining CDN dollar.

Buffalo relies quite a bit on Canadians crossing the boarder and coming to home games. Not only those who come to see the Leafs and Habs but the Canadian Sabres fans, some of whom, are season ticket and flex pack holders.

So while perhaps the Sabres may gain an advantage based on capitalizing on the cap constraints of some teams, they may in fact take a hit in terms of generating the same revenue from Canadians compared to what they have in the past few years.

Ehh..it's not that big a percentage (I think like 12%?).

And remember, the Blue & Gold Club waiting list is thousands of names long. Even if some Canadians decide to give up their season tix because of the exchange, their place would quickly be taken by American fans on the waiting list.

But I don't think the exchange rate will have much impact even on the numbers of Canadian fans who come. Fans from southern Ontario have shown themselves to be rather price-insensitive - particularly the Leafs fans. Look how much they pay now to go to games at the ACC! Even if the CAD$ continued to nosedive, games at FNC will still be far cheaper than the price-gouging the Leafs commit for their home games.

Insomniac99

Oct 26, 2006
Orchard Park, NY
One could also argue that Buffalo may be hit the hardest out of all the American teams with a declining CDN dollar.

Buffalo relies quite a bit on Canadians crossing the boarder and coming to home games. Not only those who come to see the Leafs and Habs but the Canadian Sabres fans, some of whom, are season ticket and flex pack holders.

So while perhaps the Sabres may gain an advantage based on capitalizing on the cap constraints of some teams, they may in fact take a hit in terms of generating the same revenue from Canadians compared to what they have in the past few years.

Canadians pay a premium to see Sabres games here because it's still cheaper than going to a Leafs game. You often hear them say things like "I would have gladly paid more" when they cite the cost of tickets down here. Im not too worried about Canadian attendance dropping off.

yahhockey

Jan 23, 2013
Canadians pay a premium to see Sabres games here because it's still cheaper than going to a Leafs game. You often hear them say things like "I would have gladly paid more" when they cite the cost of tickets down here. Im not too worried about Canadian attendance dropping off.

That sounds about right. For the most part if you are a Canadian going to Buffalo there's probably a high enough income that a 10-20% currency premium won't change your opinion. Even if you went to every Sabres game via StubHub tickets it's amazing where you can sit in Buffalo for $100 to $150 compared with Toronto. We're talking lower bowl centre ice versus upper level, maybe even upper level corners in Toronto. Sure there is the odd exception to the rule but generally you get superior bang for your buck going to a game in Buffalo versus Toronto. If someone is purchasing individual box office tickets and taking their child(ren) to an NHL game in Buffalo simply because the Toronto prices are too high they too are unlikely to be deterred by the declining dollar for a one-off outing.

Last edited:

MayDay

Oct 21, 2005
Pleasantville, NY
That sounds about right. For the most part if you are a Canadian going to Buffalo there's probably a high enough income that a 10-20% currency premium won't change your opinion. Even if you went to every Sabres game via StubHub tickets it's amazing where you can sit in Buffalo for $100 to $150 compared with Toronto. We're talking lower bowl centre ice versus upper level, maybe even upper level corners in Toronto. Sure there is the odd exception to the rule but generally you get superior bang for your buck going to a game in Buffalo versus Toronto.

Plus don't forget that when Canadians buy tickets on StubHub, they are buying tickets from other fans, tickets that have already been bought and paid for.

The Sabres don't get any extra money when tickets are resold. So if fewer tickets are re-sold on StubHub and the like, I don't think that would impact them negatively at all.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA

The past few years the CND $ has been in par eith the US dollar but fir a long time it was around 89% so I don't think it would be that big of a deal.

For fans who go to 1-2 games not that big of SN impact that will deter them from going. On $50 tix that means paying $10 more Canadian ($60 CND).

The drop doesn't change The sabres prices.

Plus don't forget that when Canadians buy tickets on StubHub, they are buying tickets from other fans, tickets that have already been bought and paid for.

The Sabres don't get any extra money when tickets are resold. So if fewer tickets are re-sold on StubHub and the like, I don't think that would impact them negatively at all.

I'm not so sure. I think in licensed resale of season holder tickets ( internal site or ticket master) through they may get some part of any price mark up.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad