Ben Lovejoy appreciation thread

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
Are you being David Morehouse for Halloween or someone from the media?

Well, he isn't that wrong (EDIT: Just saw the "MEATHEAD Despres" post, yeah, that guy is drunk), to be honest. Despres wasn't a "star" for us.

Despres showed flashes, a lot of them, but he wasn't being consistently great. He was progressing nicely and management was stupid not to give him to give him more chances to grow. They shouldn't have used him the way they did and they surely shouldn't have traded him for what they did (or at all, IMO).

Despres was on track to becoming a very solid number 3-4 (exactly what we are missing, btw) for us. We gave up on him way too soon and we traded him for a guy that is what he is and won't get better. You can sign Benny Lovejoys every year in UFA for about the same cost. Cost-controlled physical d-men who can contribute in transition don't grow on trees.

Let's not get carried away by singing praises Despres hadn't earned yet, but yeah, bad asset management was bad. I will never understand what they didn't like about him. He was ugly and not marketable? Who cares, we have Letang to make teenage girls' panties wet...

Last edited:

High Flying Birds

Aug 29, 2009
Victoria, B.C
If he was getting bottom pairing minutes, I wouldn't dislike him as much. If it all. Alas, the Penguins brain trust seem to have some pretty radical ideas regarding player usage. Scudjoy on the PK is akin to Gladams. It's only a matter of time before it blows up in our faces.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
If he was getting bottom pairing minutes, I wouldn't dislike him as much. If it all. Alas, the Penguins brain trust seem to have some pretty radical ideas regarding player usage. Scudjoy on the PK is akin to Gladams. It's only a matter of time before it blows up in our faces.

I get why they have Lovejoy on the 2nd pair ES. They really don't want to play Scuds and Lovejoy both on the 3rd pair together, so they split them up with a babysitter for each. But then they play them on the PK together and then my brain hurts.

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
Well, he isn't that wrong (EDIT: Just saw the "MEATHEAD Despres" post, yeah, that guy is drunk), to be honest. Despres wasn't a "star" for us.

Despres showed flashes, a lot of them, but he wasn't being consistently great. He was progressing nicely and management was stupid not to give him to give him more chances to grow. They shouldn't have used him the way they did and they surely shouldn't have traded him for what they did (or at all, IMO).

Despres was on track to becoming a very solid number 3-4 (exactly what we are missing, btw) for us. We gave up on him way too soon and we traded him for a guy that is what he is and won't get better. You can sign Benny Lovejoys every year in UFA for about the same cost. Cost-controlled physical d-men who can contribute in transition don't grow on trees.

Let's not get carried away by singing praises Despres hadn't heard yet, but yeah, bad asset management was bad. I will never understand what they didn't like about him. He was ugly and not marketable? Who cares, we have Letang to make teenage girls' panties wet...
lots of flashes? that's consistent enough to be great for me, anyone who could make scuds look serviceable is a star. on track to be a 3-4? he was a good 3-4 and on track to be 1-2 pairing.
.......free ic.......

joeyjake5

Feb 23, 2014
lots of flashes? that's consistent enough to be great for me, anyone who could make scuds look serviceable is a star. on track to be a 3-4? he was a good 3-4 and on track to be 1-2 pairing.
.......free ic.......

I am for trading anybody including Sid, Geno, Tanger, Kessell if it improves the team. But making a stupid trade, SD for Joy is is just plain stupid. I just hope someone in pens organization comes out and tells why this trade was made. When Billy G. comes out and says Joy is a good defender and has experience, this is just plain BULL unless you value bad experience and someone who can't defend like JOY showed in the NYR series.

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
.......free ic.......

On track to be a #1? Come on now... 3 on a contender, 2 at most. Despres doesn't have the offensive skills to be a #1. A partner for Letang? Hell yeah!

Gold Diamond

Watermarks
Jul 11, 2008
Coatesville, PA
He's been playing well. Probably just as good as that meathead Despres ever played. I think people forget (or refuse to believe) that Despres was never really that great for us. He was lost 1/2 the time and confused the other 1/2. But, yeah, long-term it's a really bad trade considering Despres' potential.

April Fools is a long ways away, buddy.

eXile59

Shirts on.
Jan 2, 2009
PA
He's made a career of being a serviceable player as long as his D partner carries him.

Corvidae

May 5, 2009
If he was our worst d-man and playing #6 minutes, he'd look serviceable like this a lot more often. But every time you see him make a mistake, you just get reminded that there's even worse coming onto the ice to replace him.

This.

If they dumped Scuds and we used hypnotherapy to forget the trade, he'd look acceptable.

Tender Rip

Wears long pants
Feb 12, 2007
Shanghai, China
I was here talking about pathetic asset management when we let Lovejoy go. Then more vociferously so when he was re-acquired.

Today, the only problem with him is that we need him to do more than be third pairing. In that capacity, he'd be a fine player.... and better person, I'm sure.

Last edited:

joeyjake5

Feb 23, 2014
Whether you consider SD to be a #1 or #6 D, he is better than Joy no matter where you cast Joy. Joy is nothing more than a dime or dozen #6 D, just like Scuds. If this team continues to play Scudjoy game in and game out the playoffs will be (are) in doubt. If management feels they don't have better options than these two and willing to use them, then this team is really in a mess.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Dumoulin and Lovejoy look like a good pairig to me. Dumo especially is playing guys well one on one. I believe that pairing has ridiculously low GA numbers. As in like 1 last I checked.

This isnt a coincidence anymore with Dumoulin. Same thing in the playoffs. Dude's a good player. May not have the physicality of Despres. But ill take not giving up goals.

plaidchuck

Feb 26, 2013
Pittsburgh
Thing is Despres even at a second pairing ceiling gives you so much more depth and flexibility, while.AHL fodder could replace lovejoy right now.

cassius

Jul 23, 2004
Mike+Woodson+Face.gif

Boocock

Feb 3, 2007
It's gotten to the point where I'd like to have both Despres and Lovejoy on this team. No longer do I outright hate having Lovejoy.

Maatta - Letang
Despres - Cole
Dumoulin - Lovejoy

What could have been...

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
I have nothing bad to say about Lovejoy until further notice. Strike that. He keeps hitting the right wing with sucker passes, but most of the time it's Porter, so it's not like it's costing us anything.

madinsomniac

Jul 3, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa
He has, at times, been ok... but I don't think he is the kind of defenseman best suited for this lineup if it was playing at its most efficient... he isn't playing as badly as last playoffs

Human

cynic
Jan 22, 2011
Bandwagon
The hate for Lovejoy on this site is downright comical. He's a serviceable bottom pair defenseman that can be masked by a good puck mover (Dumoulin and Fowler for example). People put him on a level with Scuderi and Kunitz and it doesn't make a lick of sense. People are still just bitter we traded Despres for him, which was a god awful trade.

I don't see the reason for this post. you just explained in your own post why Lovejoy is hated in here while calling it comical...

we ****ing know he's a serviceable bottom pairing guy if he doesn't need to actually anchor the pair... he's been brought in in return of a first pairing d-man. it would be laughable not to hate on the guy...

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I don't see the reason for this post. you just explained in your own post why Lovejoy is hated in here while calling it comical...

we ****ing know he's a serviceable bottom pairing guy if he doesn't need to actually anchor the pair... he's been brought in in return of a first pairing d-man. it would be laughable not to hate on the guy...

How does hating a player for what we traded for him make any sense at all? That is the dumbest thing I've seen. How is it Lovejoy's fault that the Pens traded Despres for him? And people don't call him a serviceable bottom pair D, people say he sucks.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
How does hating a player for what we traded for him make any sense at all? That is the dumbest thing I've seen. How is it Lovejoy's fault that the Pens traded Despres for him? And people don't call him a serviceable bottom pair D, people say he sucks.

because sports fandom generally isn't a logical thing, and when you think of Lovejoy it makes you think of the stupid trade. I've never met Claude Giroux and I never will, but I ****ing hate that guy too.

deczola

Jan 21, 2015
Philadelphia, PA
Lovejoy is our #6 D man. In the recent past we had Deryk Engelland there. He is vastly better than that garbage.

I was out in LA (where I spend half my time) and Despres before he got injured was BRUTAL bad from the 3 games I seen.

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
Lovejoy is our #6 D man. In the recent past we had Deryk Engelland there. He is vastly better than that garbage.

I was out in LA (where I spend half my time) and Despres before he got injured was BRUTAL bad from the 3 games I seen.

now's our chance...trade lovejoy back for fatty....I wonder how much we would have to add? .......maybe I don't want to know. :)
free ic.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad