Prospect Info: Ben Harpur

Nylander88

Aug 13, 2016
Ontario
I think the hope is he can play on the bottom pairing, likely with a mobile defender like Dermott. And also be a PK guy. #6/7 guy

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare
I think the Leafs have identified someone they think has some NHL upside in Harpur. I expect him to be the #6 and to rotate in and out of the lineup with Borgman. He led the league in majors last season in limited action, as an every day player he could reach a pretty high number.

The one thing that maintains my positivity even though the Leafs traded my favourite player yesterday is the look of the defense. Very deep unit. I think Harpur will be a positive, between him and Borgman, keep your head up.

What is the difference between Harpur and McQuaid in 2019? Outside of the fact one shoots right, which lines up the left/right shots more evenly?

Last edited:

Lethalsniper007

Aug 2, 2005
Yes. Yes he is.
So I don’t think the leafs will have the cap to sign Barrie and muzzin and don’t for get Morgan Rielly him to will need a new contract soon and what’s he going to get ? I think muzzin is the guy leaving if the leafs can resign Barrie

Reactions: Kiwi

The Iceman

Sep 22, 2007

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
If the guy can play some safe minutes (8-12 per night) I wouldn't mind having him keep things civil during the dog days of the schedule. But the other option when Dermot gets back is Marincin or Holl or Gravel or Borgman I suppose ...not taking away ice from Bobby Orr there.

SensontheRush

Never said it was Sunshine
Apr 27, 2010
Ottawa

Sure, Harpur has been in fights. My usage of "soft" meant that he does not look for opportunities to hit, and when he does, he does not put much force into his hits. Perhaps he is being mindful not to injure players; however, since he does not play with much energy, and has difficulty using through defensive body-positioning to keep players out of the play, on top of not being much of bruiser, I would consider him soft.

If he worked on his "edge" though he could be a much better player.

67Leafs67

Nov 8, 2014
By all accounts, Harpur should not touch NHL ice. Yeah he's 6'15" or whatever, and I'm sure Babs would love to have him out there, but he's absolutely atrocious statistically, was near the bottom of Ottawa's defense last season. Maybe if he was a right shot he'd have a chance on the Leafs, but there's no way that this guy should get ahead of Rielly/Muzzin/Dermott/Borgman/Marincin/Sandin in my opinion.

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
By all accounts, Harpur should not touch NHL ice. Yeah he's 6'15" or whatever, and I'm sure Babs would love to have him out there, but he's absolutely atrocious statistically, was near the bottom of Ottawa's defense last season. Maybe if he was a right shot he'd have a chance on the Leafs, but there's no way that this guy should get ahead of Rielly/Muzzin/Dermott/Borgman/Marincin/Sandin in my opinion.

Its not like Borgman and Marincin have shown much at the NHL level either, though. Sandin will likely play another year on the Marlies for a couple reasons. 1) Don't rush him and 2) Push his ELC back another year.

67Leafs67

Nov 8, 2014
Its not like Borgman and Marincin have shown much at the NHL level either, though. Sandin will likely play another year on the Marlies for a couple reasons. 1) Don't rush him and 2) Push his ELC back another year.
Borgman and Marincin haven't shown much at the NHL level, but what Harpur has shown is that he is a negative impact on the ice. When he is on, the other team scores a lot of goals, gets a lot of quality chances, and offense dries up for his team. He's not a good penalty killer either by all accounts. Borgman & Marincin have at least been, while unimpressive, passable and adequate as #6 defenders. I too doubt that Sandin gets pushed into the lineup this year, at least, not at the beginning, but I'd still say he's a better player than Harpur at this point.

Maybe I'm being harsh, and there are underlying analytics and stats that show he is better than it appears, but both my eye test, and statistical models, show him to be a major liability, even against weak competition. I would prefer not to see him in the blue and white on a regular basis.

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
Borgman and Marincin haven't shown much at the NHL level, but what Harpur has shown is that he is a negative impact on the ice. When he is on, the other team scores a lot of goals, gets a lot of quality chances, and offense dries up for his team. He's not a good penalty killer either by all accounts. Borgman & Marincin have at least been, while unimpressive, passable and adequate as #6 defenders. I too doubt that Sandin gets pushed into the lineup this year, at least, not at the beginning, but I'd still say he's a better player than Harpur at this point.

Maybe I'm being harsh, and there are underlying analytics and stats that show he is better than it appears, but both my eye test, and statistical models, show him to be a major liability, even against weak competition. I would prefer not to see him in the blue and white on a regular basis.

I think you're being harsh. A lot of Sens fans see NHL potential in him, some suggest he could turn into a #4 guy.

He's only 24, big defensmen like Harpur don't normally find their way until their late 20s, TBH.

Reactions: kb and SHANNYPLAN

Leafsman

I guess $11M doesn't buy you what it use to
May 22, 2008

I would like to know how Ottawa fans pinpointed a negative contribution from Harpur from the shit tornado that is the Ottawa Senators. Trying to distinguish a negative player on the Ottawa Senators is like trying to distinguish your piss from the pool you pissed in!

67Leafs67

Nov 8, 2014
I think you're being harsh. A lot of Sens fans see NHL potential in him, some suggest he could turn into a #4 guy.

He's only 24, big defensmen like Harpur don't normally find their way until their late 20s, TBH.
Fair enough. I certainly hope he exceeds my expectations tenfold, and is a great defender. Lord knows we need somebody who can kill penalties and clear the front of the net.

67Leafs67

Nov 8, 2014
I would like to know how Ottawa fans pinpointed a negative contribution from Harpur from the **** tornado that is the Ottawa Senators. Trying to distinguish a negative player on the Ottawa Senators is like trying to distinguish your piss from the pool you pissed in!
Actually, it's quite the contrary. The fact that Harpur stands out as a bad player on a team as bad as Ottawa shows you just how bad he actually is. If somebody looks bad compared to the rest of his team, and said team is the Tampa Bay Lightning...he might not be that bad, if you catch my drift.

Reactions: matrixtrippin

JEI

Jericho
Jun 7, 2004

Sorry, that made me sound like I would want Gravel in the lineup, I don't. I'm just saying between those two 'big guys', I like Gravel better. Both would not be in the lineup, ideally.

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
Sorry, that made me sound like I would want Gravel in the lineup, I don't. I'm just saying between those two 'big guys', I like Gravel better. Both would not be in the lineup, ideally.

Yes, but why do you like Gravel over Harpur?

ChuckWoods

Sep 13, 2009
I prefer Harpur as our #7 over Marincin.

He provides something we dont and thats a legitimate heavyweight but he’s got mobility in his game where is isnt a complete liability. He will be good for spot games here and there.

But hes worse with the puck than Polak... which is where everyone is quick to write him off.

Gravel I havent seen enough of, but the simple fact that Dubas added both of these guys makes me very comfortable with our “press box” depth and his focus on allowing our prospects to naturally grow.

Reactions: saltming

ottawah

Jan 7, 2011
Harpur is the classic guy you put on your third pairing, playing 10 minutes a night against 3rd and 4th liners, say hey he looks pretty good, pencil him into your 2nd pairing, and watch the bottom fall out. Against marginal talent he looks pretty steady, against average talent, he looks maybe passable, against top talent, he looks pretty bad. His advanced stats can look pretty bad, but he got some pretty bad deployment at times last year. I think as a stop gap third pairing 10 minute guy, he an everyday player to have on your team. Not likely any more than that.

He is roughly a better skating Jared Cowen. His biggest asset is it takes an extra half second for players to skate around him.

JEI

Jericho
Jun 7, 2004
Yes, but why do you like Gravel over Harpur?

Because it seems like Gravel is a more steady presence for the role, but it's interchangeable. Harpur, if there's anything 'there' in his game, will have to be honed at the AHL level for now because it certainly didn't seem like it was happening with the Sens.

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
Because it seems like Gravel is a more steady presence for the role, but it's interchangeable. Harpur, if there's anything 'there' in his game, will have to be honed at the AHL level for now because it certainly didn't seem like it was happening with the Sens.

I'm not convinced Harpur would pass through waivers TBH. Big, mobile, tough defencmen are attractive.

Harpur is 3 years younger than Gravel, they've played the same amount of games, but Hurpur averages > 2:00TOI/GP. There is more upside with Harpur.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad