Waived: Ben Harpur, Jordan Schmaltz, Tyler Gaudet & Pontus Aberg

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
I don't think an enforcer is what is required.

Leafs just need guys who'll step into the mayhem to even the sides.
It’s a contact league.
You need to be willing to use your body to win just like you use a wrist shot, slap shot or pass.

Using your body helps on the forecheck, impedes the opposition and makes them think about space and time. Sometimes you use your stick to check and sometimes the body. Or sometimes just scrum.

That’s the physical aspect.

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
It’s funny how many of the same people concerned about who should be on our 4th lines and 3rd pair are likey the same people that will complain about xx player not getting enough ice time.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
It’s funny how many of the same people concerned about who should be on our 4th lines and 3rd pair are likey the same people that will complain about xx player not getting enough ice time.
for me personally, i love getting into the minutia of the team i love

how the cap fits
who needs waiver

ect ect ect

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
for me personally, i love getting into the minutia of the team i love

how the cap fits
who needs waiver

ect ect ect

No, I get it... it’s a fun time of year for sure. Just not looking at the ‘Babcock made the wrong choice’ spin and then that turning into “give xxxx more ice time” banter that will come regardless of what happens.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
No, I get it... it’s a fun time of year for sure. Just not looking at the ‘Babcock made the wrong choice’ spin and then that turning into “give xxxx more ice time” banter that will come regardless of what happens.
babs has my full backing

i can see what kind of values, morals and on ice responsibility he is trying to teach this very young roster.

Reactions: MyBudJT

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
Not necessarily these guys but Dubas may waive a player or two he intends to keep as extras because he'll have to demote an extra d-man or two once Dermott and Hyman return anyways. Better to waive within a smorgasbord of claimable bodies than in mid-November once teams have become disillusioned with some of their defensemen.

Reactions: ShameOnYouZidlicky

HawkeyTalkMan

Jun 23, 2015
Life must be good as a Leafs fan when people are talking about 7th dmen as the biggest issue.

Yet people are still miserable with the team.

Lol what primitive fan base.

I don't think it's really that, it's more about the 1-6 dmen don't really instill the most confidence for a deep playoff run as a whole. I'm sure there's hope a guy plays above his pedigree to surprise and solidify the D

CanadasTeam

Nov 9, 2009
Tarrana
It’s a contact league.
You need to be willing to use your body to win just like you use a wrist shot, slap shot or pass.

Using your body helps on the forecheck, impedes the opposition and makes them think about space and time. Sometimes you use your stick to check and sometimes the body. Or sometimes just scrum.

That’s the physical aspect.
That’s fantastic, i’m sold. Where can we sign one of these guys right now and fit under the cap?

moon111

Oct 18, 2014
Martin Marincin was former 2nd round draft pick. I think part of his problem was he actually had some offensive skills
and wasn't always that 6'5" stay-at-home that many of us would think him to be.

2010-11 WHL defenseman scoring leaders:
-6th Tyson Barrie
-8th Martin Marincin
-37th Morgan Rielly (note: two years younger the Marincin, 1 year younger then Barrie)

The issue with Marincin, to be an effective NHL defenseman, he needed to learn how to reliable defensively. He wasn't going to be the green light to play being bad defensively like Rielly and Barrie have been. It will be interesting to see if he can play with some confidence, relax and perhaps open up and improve. It it just me or does he seem a little faster and more decisive so far in the pre-season? Think he's won a spot on the opening day roster.

Reactions: smitty10

Ashdown2

Aug 19, 2006
should have kept borgman he would have made this team, Schmatlz is the most garbage "first round draft pick" defenseman ive ever seen. i would fire that professional scout that suggested that trade.

the rest are a bunch of AHLers. who cares.

Reactions: Faltorvo

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
Martin Marincin was former 2nd round draft pick. I think part of his problem was he actually had some offensive skills
and wasn't always that 6'5" stay-at-home that many of us would think him to be.

2010-11 WHL defenseman scoring leaders:
-6th Tyson Barrie
-8th Martin Marincin
-37th Morgan Rielly (note: two years younger the Marincin, 1 year younger then Barrie)

The issue with Marincin, to be an effective NHL defenseman, he needed to learn how to reliable defensively. He wasn't going to be the green light to play being bad defensively like Rielly and Barrie have been. It will be interesting to see if he can play with some confidence, relax and perhaps open up and improve. It it just me or does he seem a little faster and more decisive so far in the pre-season? Think he's won a spot on the opening day roster.
He does look better. Even that play behind the net the other night wasn't really his fault, he was tripped, so a missed call there. Both he and Sandin actually fell on the same play. I get trapped into liking Marincin, but then have my soul crushed by him. I don't know what to think of him anymore...he's been very good everywhere but on the Leafs. He just needs to be good until Dermott comes back. I actually like Gravel better. We'll see who they pick.

Ryan Michaels

Mar 21, 2017
In a salary cap league, the Leafs need players like Marincin...humble, making minimal salary, wants to continue to work and improve his game, willing to settle into a role defined for him, and doesn't think he's worth more and demands much more money than the team could afford to pay him. If only some of our players have a tiny bit of his humility.

Ya pretty easy for a guy like Marincin to be "humble" especially when you want to use it to throw shade on our young stars. Guess I must be a saint for not charging my friends Kayne West level appearance fees when I go to a party. Being a league minimum fringe player is not a personality trait. Nothing against the guy but this is silly.

Ryan Michaels

Mar 21, 2017

Makes perfect sense actually because if they're worried about the top of the lineup not getting enough ice time they'd be worried about who it's going to.

Sometimes arguments get repeated, especially when the same perceived problems occur without change and you're not exactly beating an unfamiliar drum by arguing the other side on this.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
He does look better. Even that play behind the net the other night wasn't really his fault, he was tripped, so a missed call there. Both he and Sandin actually fell on the same play. I get trapped into liking Marincin, but then have my soul crushed by him. I don't know what to think of him anymore...he's been very good everywhere but on the Leafs. He just needs to be good until Dermott comes back. I actually like Gravel better. We'll see who they pick.
Marincin can be frustrating, but just like Sandin and Dermott he's so good along the lines. That's what I liked the most from the Sandin-Marincin duo. They killed so many transition attempts by just stopping the opponents as they tried to cross either blueline.

If Marincin was rock solid at in-zone defensive to go with his transition-defense and PK proficiency, he'd be a surefire NHLer.

Reactions: Eb

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad