Waived: Ben Harpur, Jordan Schmaltz, Tyler Gaudet & Pontus Aberg

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
Is there any other LTIR contract in the league Leafs can acquire to ice a 23 man roster?

EDIT: actually never mind. Now that you think about it 21 man roster is fine; if injuries I.e. more than one leafs can use the emergency recall I guess if we have someone that meet the salary criteria of that rule

Last edited:
Reactions: Forgotusername

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
LTIR doesn't work that way. It doesn't give you more cap space, it just effectively increases your max cap from 81.5 to whatever the amount you have on LTIR.

Yes but that’s the idea; by having that additional spending power leafs can carry 22 or 23 man roster if needed

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
Yes but that’s the idea; by having that additional spending power leafs can carry 22 or 23 man roster if needed

It would be no different then the space we have now. We don't have to acquire any LTIR guys at all to have a 23 man roster, now.

When Hyman comes back, we won't be able to ice a 23 man roster, no matter how many LTIR guys we acquire.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
It would be no different then the space we have now. We don't have to acquire any LTIR guys at all to have a 23 man roster, now.

When Hyman comes back, we won't be able to ice a 23 man roster, no matter how many LTIR guys we acquire.

Yup that’s true

TheGoldenJet

Apr 2, 2008
Coquitlam, BC
Yesterday during the game they said Tuesday (Oct. 1st) by 5 pm all the teams in NHL have to announce their roster; I assume that also means teams have to be cap compliant by 5 pm Tuesday

Yep it’s Oct 1st at 5pm ET for final roster due dates. I do wonder whether in practicality that means the final players cut will physically join the Marlies for practice on Oct 1st or Oct 2nd.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
Yep it’s Oct 1st at 5pm ET for final roster due dates. I do wonder whether in practicality that means the final players cut will physically join the Marlies for practice on Oct 1st or Oct 2nd.

I think the rule is that Leafs have to put players on waivers (if not waiver free) 24 hours before so I expect some movement on Monday 12 pm so that by Tuesday 12 pm these players either clear or get claimed.

The way their contracts are structured (1 way deals) and handsomely paid at that it won't be easy for other teams to claim these and pay the 1 way contracts for these players to play in the minors; leafs on the other hand can afford it

So in terms of reporting for marlies I think that would be on Oct. 1st since these guys have to be put on waivers on Sep 31st (monday).

Not sure if that is also true for the players that do not need to clear waivers ex: Liljegren; that said - since my assumption is that Leafs have to be cap compliant by 5 pm Oct 1st (Tuesday) - most of the players if not on the Leafs roster would be available for the Marlies by oct 1st I think.

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
Who was Borgman beating out for a LHD job, Reilly, Muzzin or Sandin?
umm,,,, he could have been the 7th Dman or the marlies 1rst call up since he does not need waivers

schmaltz on the other hand needs waivers, let see if will still be leafs property

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
its called 7th defensman or he could play on the right side because our options their are pretty pitiful.

Borgman who has not played the right side in North America? Borgman who definitely isn't better than Rielly, Muzzin, Sandin, Dermott? Borgman who hasn't played an NHL game in 20 months?

P.S. I've always wondered whether something happened off the ice with Borgman that never came to public attention. He got buried quickly and permanently after starting 48 of 53 NHL games as a rookie.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Borgman who has not played the right side in North America? Borgman who definitely isn't better than Rielly, Muzzin, Sandin, Dermott? Borgman who hasn't played an NHL game in 20 months?

P.S. I've always wondered whether something happened off the ice with Borgman that never came to public attention. He got buried quickly and permanently after starting 48 of 53 NHL games as a rookie.

I was surprised he got 48 games in the first place. He was not exactly ready, and then when he went down to the Marlies, he had his fair share of issues down there. He was getting passed up on the depth chart pretty quickly.

Between Sandin and then bringing in fellow 95's Kivihalme and Harpur, he was not going to get anywhere any time soon. Schmaltz had a chance to take the RD spot and I guess it did not work out... Which is somewhat surprising because he was better than Gravel and Holl.

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
Ya pretty easy for a guy like Marincin to be "humble" especially when you want to use it to throw shade on our young stars. Guess I must be a saint for not charging my friends Kayne West level appearance fees when I go to a party. Being a league minimum fringe player is not a personality trait. Nothing against the guy but this is silly.

Marincin being a lesser talent does not make him a lesser human being character-wise...he could have certainly pressed Dubas to give him an extra $100K to 200K...same for Johnsson and Kapanen...they both could have pushed Dubas for another $200K to $300K or so and make things difficult...and why not? The others have and made a drama out of the negotiations, but they did not. Did Marner really have to SETTLE for $10.893 million? You mean, $10.25 million couldn't get it done? And Matthews couldn't afford to settle for $11 million AAV for 5 years? That's too much to give up in a salary cap league where every dollar adds up? In combination, that's over $1 million in savings between the 2...if all 20 plus players want an extra few hundred thousand dollars on average because their egos are too big, how much does that add up to?

Reactions: Ciao

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad