Waived: Ben Harpur, Jordan Schmaltz, Tyler Gaudet & Pontus Aberg

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
/ or perhaps because every other team also has it's own players on the bubble they would like to keep, too?

Reactions: SAMCRO44

The Iceman

Sep 22, 2007
Borgman who has not played the right side in North America? Borgman who definitely isn't better than Rielly, Muzzin, Sandin, Dermott? Borgman who hasn't played an NHL game in 20 months?

P.S. I've always wondered whether something happened off the ice with Borgman that never came to public attention. He got buried quickly and permanently after starting 48 of 53 NHL games as a rookie.

Ozhiganov got a similar 53 game treatment

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
I guess all the paranoid people claiming Babcock would have Harpur in the starting line-up can go back to their caves.
Personally I didnt think that, but I guess it was a reasonable scare, he proved he doesn't know what he was doing in the last meaningful game the Leafs played.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I really like Gaudet. If he continues to develop with the Marlies we have ourselves a great find. Has history with Dubas.

He's a big body, throws his weight around, has some scoring touch and has speed. Definitely a Babcock type player. Maybe a Hyman replacement?????

Not sure there's much development left in a 26 year old. The problem sometimes is that some players go all out in pre-season and look so much better than their skill and ability level. When the season rolls around, the sample size is much larger and you can see why they are pretty below average in terms of quality.

I think you're being very generous with the "scoring touch". He skates well and seems to have a good motor but he's very sub par in terms of skill ability. His career high in the AHL for goals is 13 and career high is 28 points, which is not very good.

I was also impressed with his play though. If he can play like he did in pre-season with the Marlies, he might be able to sneak into another contract for next season and perhaps be a useful depth grinder player.

Last edited:
Reactions: JustAShadow

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
Not sure there's much development left in a 26 year old. The problem sometimes is that some players go all out in pre-season and look so much better than their skill and ability level. When the season rolls around, the sample size is much larger and you can see why they are pretty below average in terms of quality.

I was also impressed with his play though. If he can play like he did in pre-season with the Marlies, he might be able to sneak into another contract for next season and perhaps be a useful depth player.

It feels really great when you see these type of guys play their absolute best but, yes, you can't lose sight of what kind of player he is. Those preseason games were probably the games of his life and he should be immensely proud of his performance.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
If Read goes down and continues to show he's still got something, someone will come knocking.

While this organization is going to be forced to squeeze its lower tier players financially, I like that it's become a haven for many in-betweener pro players to make a decent living while in the AHL. It's an indirect act of good will.

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
Who had more shifts? Perhaps Matthews was not in good enough shape to handle more minutes?

Pretty sure he was saying again he wanted to play more.

Speaking of not in good shape... He was playing Hyman on one leg.

And this was the tip of the iceberg.... See Babcock coaching in game 7 thread.

Reactions: SAMCRO44

Ashdown2

Aug 19, 2006
Borgman who has not played the right side in North America? Borgman who definitely isn't better than Rielly, Muzzin, Sandin, Dermott? Borgman who hasn't played an NHL game in 20 months?

P.S. I've always wondered whether something happened off the ice with Borgman that never came to public attention. He got buried quickly and permanently after starting 48 of 53 NHL games as a rookie.

not sure if your agreeing or disagreeing with me lol
sure 7th defensman means he isnt better then those guys ... either way half those guys you mentioned are LD so im not 100% sure i understand your point.

even if you play with BEST 7 D available no matter the position (because lets just convert a guy or have the 7th guy with LD or RD)
reilly, barrie, muzzin, sandin, ceci, dermott (i wouldnt even count him because he doesnt start the season) ... yep 7 is borgman. I dont see a better option. either way you cant really dispute that borgman isnt way better than schmaltz. That guys is horrible.

horner

May 22, 2007
The best thing for Harpur is to play a yr with the Marlies.
This will be his best opportunity to get some really good individual coaching .

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad