Confirmed with Link: Ben Chiarot (50% Retained) Traded to Florida for 2023 1st (Unprotected), 2022 4th & Ty Smilanic

Colezuki

Apr 27, 2009
Toronto
The % they finish bottom 10-16 range is not 0%. There is always a chance they slip and if they have injuries, it becomes a higher %.

giphy.gif
10-16th in the league, so 22 -16th in the draft. If they go deep and suffer a lot of injuries then yes I think it goes higher

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
10-16th in the league, so 22 -16th in the draft. If they go deep and suffer a lot of injuries then yes I think it goes higher
Bottom 10-16 range, not top. Low % they slip like that but they have cap issues and Giroux and Chiarot are gone. Requires a lot of bad things for them to slip like that though. The got good parts in many areas.

Colezuki

Apr 27, 2009
Toronto
Bottom 10-16 range, not top. Low % they slip like that but they have cap issues and Giroux and Chiarot are gone. Requires a lot of bad things for them to slip like that though. The got good parts in many areas.
Agreed, I think there's a 25-40% chance of it happening if they make the finals this year, they'll have a lot of injuries that take recovery time and have 8 weeks to get ready for training camp. Much like the islanders this year. If they don't I think it's more likely the pick is 17-25th

Reactions: Habs Halifax

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Agreed, I think there's a 25-40% chance of it happening if they make the finals this year, they'll have a lot of injuries that take recovery time and have 8 weeks to get ready for training camp. Much like the islanders this year. If they don't I think it's more likely the pick is 17-25th

Yeah, If I was forced to bet money on it, I'd say 17-25 range. That's a good guess

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Oh but i don't think they have to do that either anyway not now maybe in the future but for now until Knight can be a number 1A they can find other ways to fill the lineup.
Agreed.

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
Yeah but what's the goal here? Staying competitive and 1st/2nd round exits or chasing cups when you have stars?

The issue with the Oilers, Leafs, and now the Knights is not staying competitive. It's being competitive and addressing roster flaws giving them a better chance at a cup. That's cap hell to me anyways.
No one can guarantee a cup win.

The leafs have been among the top teams in the league for a few years now. This is the knights first year where they didn't perform well, but their two best players (pacioretty and stone) missed 60% of the year.

The idea is to be competitive and the leafs, oilers, panthers, bolts, boston, canes, avs, wild have been consistently competitive.

Cap hell is not being able to ice more than a bubble team because you have bad contracts. Being a great team that can't get over the hump is not cap hell. Only team wins per year. And most contenders spend to the cap. From year to year their depth shifts. The star players remain the same year to year. It's rarely one big acquisition that puts the team over the top.

Reactions: LaP

Hins77

Apr 2, 2013
I still believe the panthers will regress, 1st in GF 16 in GA, scoring up league-wide in a year that follows many teams not seeing each other play for almost 2 years. I think it's more likely the panthers are like 10-16 GF and GA which would put them in the 13-16 range as defenses readjust to them
It could go really quickly, just an injury to Ekblad and Barkov and im wondering if they makes playoffs

Reactions: viceroy

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
Agreed. Panthers won't be able to retain either of Chairot or Giroux. 16 players under contract with about $4M in cap space. They will be trying to move Hornqvist but good luck with that and not taking a contract back.

They won't be able to improve the team this offseason with their cap challenges. And if they run into injury trouble next year, they could slip to bottom 10-16 range. Not probably but certainly possible. Doubt they slip to bottom 10 but just missing could be at play if circumstances come up that they can't overcome.
Dunno 4 millions for 6 depth players and by depth here we mean mostly 4th line, 7th dman, 13th forward doesn't sound like a major issue to me. I wish this would the biggest trouble we had ...

So i guess this summer will be the summer where Florida doesn't have a good team and will fail like last summer was the summer Carolina did not have a good team. I think many here will be extremely disappointed.

NewEraGM

Jun 19, 2010
Dunno 4 millions for 6 depth players and by depth here we mean mostly 4th line, 7th dman, 13th forward doesn't sound like a major issue to me. I wish this would the biggest trouble we had ...

So i guess this summer will be the summer where Florida doesn't have a good team and will fail like last summer was the summer Carolina did not have a good team. I think many here will be extremely disappointed.
Keep in mind they need to sign mason marchment who is going to get a big raise. He will go from 800k this year to maybe in the 3-4 range. So he’s taking up all that cap space.

I certainly think FLA will regress but I’m not sure if it’ll be to the point of missing the playoffs completely….in the Atlantic , I’d say the leafs and Lightning are locks for playoffs and then it would be a battle for the 3rd between Boston/Florida. I don’t think any of BUF MTL DET or OTT are ready to compete with those top 4.

That being said I still think it’s possible they get bounced early if they are 3rd in division or WC which would mean a 20th overall roughly…That’d be nice!!!

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

Other than letting Giroux and Chiarot walk to UFA, there are no big issues. I agree there. They just won't improve though. Chances they slip to bottom 10-16 range? Possible but very low. A lot of bad things need to happen and they have many parts in different areas. Not probable yes. They would need to slip from 122 pts to 76-94 pts range to finish bottom 10-16 range. Doubt they have another 122 pts season but 100 pts is probable.

I do see them trying to unload the Hornqvist contract but good luck with that and not taking a cap dump back. If they can pull that off, they might be able to retain Giroux

Reactions: themilosh

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
Other than letting Giroux and Chiarot walk to UFA, there are no big issues. I agree there. They just won't improve though. Chances they slip to bottom 10-16 range? Possible but very low. A lot of bad things need to happen and they have many parts in different areas. Not probable yes. They would need to slip from 122 pts to 76-94 pts range to finish bottom 10-16 range. Doubt they have another 122 pts season but 100 pts is probable.

I do see them trying to unload the Hornqvist contract but good luck with that and not taking a cap dump back. If they can pull that off, they might be able to retain Giroux
There's just one year remaining on his contract. He'll be relatively easy to dump in a trade deadline move. They'll do like other top teams did since the salary cap has been introduced. They'll trade picks until their window is closed and then start again.

Reactions: Habs Halifax

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
Good article showing how difficult a road Fla has ahead with the cap. They went all in this year and lost and now leaves the in a difficult spot with some tough decisions to make ahead. Master stroke by HuGo to get the unprotected 1st for 2023. It may be a much higher pick then expected. Now we just have to beat FLA EVERY time we play them to ensure the highest possible pick from them!

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014
Good article showing how difficult a road Fla has ahead with the cap. They went all in this year and lost and now leaves the in a difficult spot with some tough decisions to make ahead. Master stroke by HuGo to get the unprotected 1st for 2023. It may be a much higher pick then expected. Now we just have to beat FLA EVERY time we play them to ensure the highest possible pick from them!

They'll still be a top 10 team next year imo

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
They'll still be a top 10 team next year imo
That’s what they said about San Jose after the Karlsson trade. NHL is a very competitive league. We’ll see.

Wasn't the knock on Tampa bay before they won that they were a good regular season team, but couldn't win in the playoffs...

I think Florida will be good for a while. They need to tinker to get playoff success. But their core are young and/or in their prime.

Reactions: CheldishGamibno

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
Wasn't the knock on Tampa bay before they won that they were a good regular season team, but couldn't win in the playoffs...

I think Florida will be good for a while. They need to tinker to get playoff success. But their core are young and/or in their prime.
The lack of cap and amount of dead cap against is the biggest issue. They have $8+ in dead space and a LOT of players young and old to fil the roster. We see all the time depth is a big factor so it’s anyones guess how they do next year. Just pointing out that they’re in a very different spot than they were this year where everything lined up and they blew there load to go all in. Next year will be more difficult, which will no doubt benefit Habs.

Reactions: jaffy27 and 26Mats

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
The lack of cap and amount of dead cap against is the biggest issue. They have $8+ in dead space and a LOT of players young and old to fil the roster. We see all the time depth is a big factor so it’s anyones guess how they do next year. Just pointing out that they’re in a very different spot than they were this year where everything lined up and they blew there load to go all in. Next year will be more difficult, which will no doubt benefit Habs.

The only good player they need to sign is Mason Marchment. If they could move that 1 remaining year of Hornqvist's contracts off the books, they should be able to sign him, no?

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Is it somehow Chiarot's fault that the Lightning swept the Panthers?

Hell no. Habs played him 25+ a game and the Panthers played him 17 min/game. Paid a premium to acquire a rental and played him in a depth role. Even if they played him 25 min/game, they might have still loss but very weird to pay that price and only play him 17 min. I guess Tampa did that with Savard.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
The only good player they need to sign is Mason Marchment. If they could move that 1 remaining year of Hornqvist's contracts off the books, they should be able to sign him, no?
Well they're also losing Chiarot, Giroux, Nuutivara, Acciari etc... That's a lot of depth and experience to be losing. Bottom line, they won't have as good a team as they did this year so as long as they don't finish 1st OA again, we'll be getting a better pick. If they suffer a significant injury(s), they could be in big trouble which is even better for us. Here's hoping they bottom out next year like Tampa did when they reloaded.

Reactions: jaffy27

dinodebino

Sep 27, 2017

Huberdeault becoming a FA after next season?

CheldishGamibno

Turtles & Refrigerators
Aug 19, 2006
Mute City

Yep, people seems to forget Barkov is only 26 and Huberdeau 28, both in their prime. The core made of them and Ekblad, Reinhart, Weegar and Bennett will still be there and Knight will only get better if Bob chokes for some reason. No chance they miss the playoffs next season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad