Confirmed with Link: Ben Chiarot (50% Retained) Traded to Florida for 2023 1st (Unprotected), 2022 4th & Ty Smilanic

GrandBison

Jul 1, 2019
I think Panthers will just dump Bob+assets for cap relief and run with Knight as #1 with another cheaper vet. Their downfall overstated but would be good for us....

They have more than enough good young players to tempt a team to take on Bob IMO.
If Bob is tradable with his cap hit and playoff record, Price is too.

Colezuki

Apr 27, 2009
Toronto
There is no such thing as cap hell. The Pens, Bolts, Hawks and Caps have shown that the core stars is what matters.
While normally I’d agree this is the same team that two years ago drafted Lundell 11th with those same core stars. The reason they are such a beast this year is the depth they finally added. But beyond that having 7M to sign 7 players with no cheap contracts coming is where it falls down on the cap side. Now maybe they’re pro scouting is good enough but that means that they’re entire bottom two lines and bottom pairing d are going to be making $1M not exactly a recipe for success

If Bob is tradable with his cap hit and playoff record, Price is too.
Bob has a NMC he isn’t going anywhre

Reactions: GrandBison

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
While normally I’d agree this is the same team that two years ago drafted Lundell 11th with those same core stars. The reason they are such a beast this year is the depth they finally added. But beyond that having 7M to sign 7 players with no cheap contracts coming is where it falls down on the cap side. Now maybe they’re pro scouting is good enough but that means that they’re entire bottom two lines and bottom pairing d are going to be making $1M not exactly a recipe for success

Bob has a NMC he isn’t going anywhre
We hear about cap hell every year and it never comes to pass. The panthers will find a way like every good team at the cap have found a way.

When you have good players, they can be traded. This isn't the habs giving almost 4 million to Armia. Reinhart, Bennett are still very tradable if the panthers are absolutely stuck.

The panthers dominated most of the year without Giroux. They don't really need to bring him back. The only player they really need to bring back next year is Marchment. Giroux, Acciari, Thornton, Hagg, Mamin, Chiarot, Hagg can all be replaced with prospects or cheap journeymen. The core of their team is still on contract next week.

They'll be fine.

Reactions: Sorinth

Colezuki

Apr 27, 2009
Toronto
We hear about cap hell every year and it never comes to pass. The panthers will find a way like every good team at the cap have found a way.

When you have good players, they can be traded. This isn't the habs giving almost 4 million to Armia. Reinhart, Bennett are still very tradable if the panthers are absolutely stuck.

The panthers dominated most of the year without Giroux. They don't really need to bring him back. The only player they really need to bring back next year is Marchment. Giroux, Acciari, Thornton, Hagg, Mamin, Chiarot, Hagg can all be replaced with prospects or cheap journeymen. The core of their team is still on contract next week.

They'll be fine.
Cap Hell doesn't exist to Take away your best players what it does is gut your depth, which this year it absolutely will for the Panthers

Forwards - 9 - $41M - Need 4 more (or minimum 3 for roster)
Reinhart (6.5), Barkov (10), Bennett (4.4), Hornqvist (3.5), Huberdeau (5.9), Duclair (3), Verhaege (4.1), Lundell (0.9) and Lomberg (0.8)
Of the above 7 are having career years I think it's safe to assume that Huberdeau, Duclair, Verhaege, bennett and reinhart will either not improve on this years production or slightly regress. Hornqvist is likely to severely downslide given his age and Lundell is the only one who is safe to continue progressing.

Defenseman - 5 - $19.4M - Need 2 more or minimum 1 for roster likely all will stay at this years level especially as 2 are approaching UFA

Goalie - 2 - $10.9M - Fine
Buyouts - $6.6M
total room $4.6M need minimum 4 Players

The Panthers were not some defensive juggernaut they we're and still are offense first like the caps of old, on defense they were 14th in the league on GA and are likely to either stay the same or get worse. From the forward core they are losing Marchment who had 49 pts in 54 games, Giroux and Jumbo as the biggest gaps. While I agree that Jumbo and Giroux aren't likely to be huge misses losing Marchment as well basically moves them from a three line team to a 2 line team. While on Defense there going to have a weak bottom and middle pair and in Goal they have Bob and knight, Bob has always been streaky and Knight is still Young. They have no reasonably young assets and no picks in the next three drafts to trade away to alleviate the cap pains and probably the best they can hope for is moving Hornqvist which gives them 8M for 5 players.

Now I think the above makes it hard to replicate what they did this year, We're talking about a team that defensively isn't super sound also losing offense, I'd say normally high teens to low 20's. However, I will say that part of my assumption is based on them being able to go deep this year. Consider this if the Panthers do make the Finals they'll be playing until Late June of this year, 8 Weeks later training camp for 22-23 begins. If they win that means 2-3 weeks to celebrate and 5 weeks to train or 8 weeks total to recuperate look what that did to us. Couple all of that with an improving Atlantic, (Toronto staying strong, Tampa Strong, Detroit Improving, Ottawa Improving, Buffalo Improving) with Boston being a wild card and Montreal being the only team expected to struggle it's not impossible to see a situation where the panthers finish in the 10-16th range to me.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
I can't stop laughing we actually got a 1st for Chiarot lol.. I swear a year ago it seemed like the stupidest most ridiculous thing you could bring up... and it ends up happening lmao, just wow

If we're patient, I think we can get a 1st for Petry too. Things seem bleak now. But he was rounding into form at the end of the year.

If he can play like that the 1st half of next year, he should have value at the TDL.

Reactions: shamrun

OnceWasNot

Jul 28, 2009
Chiarot trade will go down as a fleecing. Good on Hughes to deal him while he's being heavily overrated around the league his value is near peak.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
I would give my left nut to get Lundell.

I doubt FLA let's him go to dump salary. But if they did, I would buy our Gallagher, etc... to make room to take on more bad contracts that come with Lundell.

If only Price were healthy, we could send them Price for Bob and a prospect like Lundell.
Lundell is signed for the next 2 seasons and still on his ELC dumping him would not dump much for now and would be a mistake. He is better than fans outside of Florida think he is. Dumping Gudas if needed would dump as much money and he's more easily replaceable in the grand scheme of things.

People forget PH contract will be over summer 2023 (along with most of Yandle buyout) and he has been mostly useless this season and will be replaced very easily for significantly less money.

Here's Florida lineup if they do not sign any of their own UFA (Giroux, Marchment, Uncle Ben, ...).

Huberdeau-Barkov-Verhaegehe
Duclair-Bennett-Reinhart
???-Lundell-PH
???-Luostarinen-???

Fosling-Ekblad
Montour-Weegar
???-Gudas

Huberdeau next contract could be a problem next summer but for next season unless i'm mistaken they don't have to do anything other than fill some cheap minimum salary depth.

Last edited:
Reactions: Andy

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Lundell is signed for the next 2 seasons and still on his ELC dumping him would not dump much for now and would be a mistake. He is better than fans outside of Florida think he is. Dumping Gudas if needed would dump as much money and he's more easily replaceable in the grand scheme of things.

People forget PH contract will be over summer 2023 (along with most of Yandle buyout) and he has been mostly useless this season and will be replaced very easily for significantly less money.

Here's Florida lineup if they do not sign any of their own UFA (Giroux, Marchment, Uncle Ben, ...).

Duclair-Bennett-Reinhart
???-Lundell-PH
???-Luostarinen-???

Fosling-Ekblad
Montour-Weegar
???-Gudas

Huberdeau next contract could be a problem next summer but for next season unless i'm mistaken they don't have to do anything other than fill some cheap minimum salary depth.
I was saying I would take Lundell as the sweetener to take on Bobrovsky's contract...

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
There is no such thing as cap hell. The Pens, Bolts, Hawks and Caps have shown that the core stars is what matters.

Leafs and Oilers? What does picking former cup winners and ignoring others who failed prove?

No such thing as cap hell? :huh:

It takes a 23 man roster to win a cup and it also takes some very good management to fit it in the cap where you can compete for more than just one season.

Tell the Leafs and Oilers who have some of the best stars in the game that there is no such think as cap hell and they can easily get goalie upgrades this summer

Colezuki

Apr 27, 2009
Toronto

Duclair-Bennett-Reinhart
???-Lundell-PH
???-Luostarinen-???

Fosling-Ekblad
Montour-Weegar
???-Gudas

16th in the League for GA, GF is where they benefitted and most of the team had career years, i think it's likely you see them take a stepback next year

Schooner Guy

Jun 23, 2006
Leafs and Oilers? What does picking former cup winners and ignoring others who failed prove?

It takes a 23 man roster to win a cup and it also takes some very good management to fit it in the cap where you can compete for more than just one season.

Tell the Leafs and Oilers who have some of the best stars in the game that there is no such think as cap hell and they can easily get goalie upgrades this summer
Vegas. I've never seen a worse cap situation.

tazsub3

May 30, 2016
Chiarot trade will go down as a fleecing. Good on Hughes to deal him while he's being heavily overrated around the league his value is near peak.
we have to give credit alsp to the toronto sports network and its ugly sister sportsnet for pumping him month in month out

well both could have during the season. they did not and now will pay for it

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
we have to give credit alsp to the toronto sports network and its ugly sister sportsnet for pumping him month in month out

well both could have during the season. they did not and now will pay for it

When you're in cap hell, your options to improve during the season in trades are not as easy as it looks.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
allen would have helped the leafs dont you think? and they could have afforded him

Cap space? Contracts coming back? Habs say no. Leafs have a big time problem with Mrazek now and if they try to make goalie upgrades, they have to try to move that contract. Good luck

Allen is good but he don't improve their chances substantially more than Campbell and I'm a Allen fan. Leafs focused on D and Gio is a good add. Basically used all their cap space on him.

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal

Considering every year the leafs are among the top teams, I would not say they are in cap hell. They have a very good club at the moment and are competitive every year. I know fans like to laugh at not being able to get passed the first round, but that's just how it is sometimes.

I'm not sure the oilers struggle because of cap, they struggle more because they don't identify good support players for McDavid and Draisaitl. As the Pens showed with Crosby, Malkin and Letang, the rest of your lineup doesn't have to be sprinkled with stars when you have the two best fowards in the world.

Cap hell is you can't even get out of the bottom because you've given big contracts to bad players. None of the teams being mentioned in this thread are in that position.

KevSkillz4

Apr 11, 2016
Only 1st pick FLO 2023 that's a fantastic trade by Hughes.

Smilanic and 4th are bonus. Smilanic looks a good prospect too. Speedy with scoring ability, can't wait to see him with Wisconsin!

Reactions: Habs Halifax

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
Cap Hell doesn't exist to Take away your best players what it does is gut your depth, which this year it absolutely will for the Panthers

Forwards - 9 - $41M - Need 4 more (or minimum 3 for roster)
Reinhart (6.5), Barkov (10), Bennett (4.4), Hornqvist (3.5), Huberdeau (5.9), Duclair (3), Verhaege (4.1), Lundell (0.9) and Lomberg (0.8)
Of the above 7 are having career years I think it's safe to assume that Huberdeau, Duclair, Verhaege, bennett and reinhart will either not improve on this years production or slightly regress. Hornqvist is likely to severely downslide given his age and Lundell is the only one who is safe to continue progressing.

Defenseman - 5 - $19.4M - Need 2 more or minimum 1 for roster likely all will stay at this years level especially as 2 are approaching UFA

Goalie - 2 - $10.9M - Fine
Buyouts - $6.6M
total room $4.6M need minimum 4 Players

The Panthers were not some defensive juggernaut they we're and still are offense first like the caps of old, on defense they were 14th in the league on GA and are likely to either stay the same or get worse. From the forward core they are losing Marchment who had 49 pts in 54 games, Giroux and Jumbo as the biggest gaps. While I agree that Jumbo and Giroux aren't likely to be huge misses losing Marchment as well basically moves them from a three line team to a 2 line team. While on Defense there going to have a weak bottom and middle pair and in Goal they have Bob and knight, Bob has always been streaky and Knight is still Young. They have no reasonably young assets and no picks in the next three drafts to trade away to alleviate the cap pains and probably the best they can hope for is moving Hornqvist which gives them 8M for 5 players.

Now I think the above makes it hard to replicate what they did this year, We're talking about a team that defensively isn't super sound also losing offense, I'd say normally high teens to low 20's. However, I will say that part of my assumption is based on them being able to go deep this year. Consider this if the Panthers do make the Finals they'll be playing until Late June of this year, 8 Weeks later training camp for 22-23 begins. If they win that means 2-3 weeks to celebrate and 5 weeks to train or 8 weeks total to recuperate look what that did to us. Couple all of that with an improving Atlantic, (Toronto staying strong, Tampa Strong, Detroit Improving, Ottawa Improving, Buffalo Improving) with Boston being a wild card and Montreal being the only team expected to struggle it's not impossible to see a situation where the panthers finish in the 10-16th range to me.
We play this game every year. We heard it about the Pens, the Caps, the Sharks, the Hawks, Tampa. Teams with stars find a way to stay competitive. It always happens.

Reactions: LaP

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Considering every year the leafs are among the top teams, I would not say they are in cap hell. They have a very good club at the moment and are competitive every year. I know fans like to laugh at not being able to get passed the first round, but that's just how it is sometimes.

I'm not sure the oilers struggle because of cap, they struggle more because they don't identify good support players for McDavid and Draisaitl. As the Pens showed with Crosby, Malkin and Letang, the rest of your lineup doesn't have to be sprinkled with stars when you have the two best fowards in the world.

Cap hell is you can't even get out of the bottom because you've given big contracts to bad players. None of the teams being mentioned in this thread are in that position.

Cap hell to me is contenders who are close but have little ability to address flaws due to their cap space available. Teams at the bottom are in rebuild so those contracts expire during those rebuilds.... kind of like the Habs situation right now.

Knights, Oilers, Leafs are in cap hell. Flat cap was the worse thing to happen to them. Reality and if you ask them, they will say the same thing

it did not happen so obviously someone said no.
but if they want to upgrade, they had the assets and could have made the room.

They needed upgrades in net and on D and they choose D (Girodano). They didn't have options for both due to available cap.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
We play this game every year. We heard it about the Pens, the Caps, the Sharks, the Hawks, Tampa. Teams with stars find a way to stay competitive. It always happens.

Yeah but what's the goal here? Staying competitive and 1st/2nd round exits or chasing cups when you have stars?

The issue with the Oilers, Leafs, and now the Knights is not staying competitive. It's being competitive and addressing roster flaws giving them a better chance at a cup. That's cap hell to me anyways.

Colezuki

Apr 27, 2009
Toronto
Yeah but what's the goal here? Staying competitive and 1st/2nd round exits or chasing cups when you have stars?

The issue with the Oilers, Leafs, and now the Knights is not staying competitive. It's being competitive and addressing roster flaws giving them a better chance at a cup. That's cap hell to me anyways.
I still believe the panthers will regress, 1st in GF 16 in GA, scoring up league-wide in a year that follows many teams not seeing each other play for almost 2 years. I think it's more likely the panthers are like 10-16 GF and GA which would put them in the 13-16 range as defenses readjust to them

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I still believe the panthers will regress, 1st in GF 16 in GA, scoring up league-wide in a year that follows many teams not seeing each other play for almost 2 years. I think it's more likely the panthers are like 10-16 GF and GA which would put them in the 13-16 range as defenses readjust to them

The % they finish bottom 10-16 range is not 0%. There is always a chance they slip and if they have injuries, it becomes a higher %.

giphy.gif

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad