TSN: Ben Bishop to Tampa for Cory Conacher and a 4th Round Pick

Status
Not open for further replies.

GK

Not Jeeks
Apr 2, 2010
Banff
The secret to Regins success was the number. 13 just isn't working.

Is this Regins contract year? We should let him walk.

Does anyone know if Conacher stands in front of the net? I know he has a pretty gritty mentality but he seems too small for that.

HavlatMach9

streamable 3rah1
Mar 17, 2011
Ottawa
I wonder how long this trade was in the making. I know the last time we played the Lightnings that Murray talked with Yzerman. They go way back but I'm sure Bishop's name would have come up at some point.

I admire Yzerman for trying again to fix his goalie problem. He couldn't let it linger and rely just on Lindback, the trick was to get the right goalie. Hopefully Bishop is it.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
I've been watching more plays of Conacher and I think this guy is going to be a stud.

Simplefan shows a good demonstration of Conacher's amazing hands and IQ.

Here are some videos at the NHL level, for Conacher.

Nice plays which displays his playmaking skills and his patience.

Sweet goal

at 0:05 and 1:52

at 0:20
Nice pass

Good grinding effort

Beville

#ForTheBoys
Mar 4, 2011
Engerlanddd!
Daugavins and Regin are, let's be honest, crap.

But I will become a closet Tampa fan, brilliant first game for Bishop, 45 save shutout ain't exactly easy for any goalie...

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
The secret to Regins success was the number. 13 just isn't working.

Is this Regins contract year? We should let him walk.

Does anyone know if Conacher stands in front of the net? I know he has a pretty gritty mentality but he seems too small for that.

Something like half his goals this year are tip-ins. I think he's a regular around the crease.

Tundraman

ModerationIsKey
Feb 13, 2010
North
We sold cheap when you consider that we haven't had a chance to see how an Andy/Lehner tandem will work out before moving Bishop. Bishop seems to intimidate shooters with his size. In almost every post game interview the opposition mentions how much net he covers...they say "he is big, looks big, plays big". Bishop is great in shootouts and has the perfect even keel temperament for a goaltender.

Short term will Andy return as the great goalie he was before he got injured? Why do the trade now with the unknowns when summer or any time next season would have been fine.

As far as Conacher I'm sure he's all they say he is. Small, fast winger in the MTL mould, a play maker who according to his record at all levels can score too. The question is... if the Sens really wanted this guy could another package involving secondary prospects have been made to get him. The 4th pick is not important here since that is only a potential long term benefit. I sensed from his comments that BM made the trade just to reassure and appease Lehner rather than to protect the team at a traditionally weak key position where we finally had strength.

Yokai

Mar 29, 2011
Ottawa
We sold cheap when you consider that we haven't had a chance to see how an Andy/Lehner tandem will work out before moving Bishop. Bishop seems to intimidate shooters with his size. In almost every post game interview the opposition mentions how much net he covers...they say "he is big, looks big, plays big". Bishop is great in shootouts and has the perfect even keel temperament for a goaltender.

Short term will Andy return as the great goalie he was before he got injured? Why do the trade now with the unknowns when summer or any time next season would have been fine.

As far as Conacher I'm sure he's all they say he is. Small, fast winger in the MTL mould, a play maker who according to his record at all levels can score too. The question is... if the Sens really wanted this guy could another package involving secondary prospects have been made to get him. The 4th pick is not important here since that is only a potential long term benefit. I sensed from his comments that BM made the trade just to reassure and appease Lehner rather than to protect the team at a traditionally weak key position where we finally had strength.

Go look at Conacher's comments on Lehner. Bishop's size may intimidate people, but apparently Lehner is a scary player in the net as well. The kid is talented and has a mean streak to him that team's around the league are bound to take note of. If you look at Lehner and Bishop's NHL and AHL stats then you'll see Lehner has been the better player at both levels.

Murray made this trade now because he did not want to compete with the likes of Smith, Miller, Bernier, Luongo/Schneider, and whoever else becomes available in the summer. It would've been nice to test drive an Anderson/Lehner tandem for sure, but I think Murray made the right call for now.

jasonjim

Nov 1, 2006
OTTAWA
If this was the same Senators organization as 3-5 years ago, Regin would still be pencilled into the lineup for next season. Daugavins wouldn't be a Bruin and O'Brien would be a lock too. They're all good players. Defensively responsible, cheap, youngish players with some offensive upside.

We're deeper now though and we have options. I know some people are attached to players, but we can't keep everyone. Which do you want...Regin or Stone? Is Daugvains worth diving up Condra? Hard choices need to be made.

I prefer Stone over Regin. Regin is a better skater but is injury prone and can't score to save his life. Stone has a history of being a pretty good sniper and goals win hockey games. Condra is our best defensive player and is valuable in that capacity.

smithy

May 31, 2011
New York
We all know Bishop is excellent - is anyone really surprised by his shutout debut? We knew this is what we were trading away. It's still a fair return.

And let's not get too worried about whether or not we chose the right goalie. Every trade has risk. Sure, there's a chance Lehner could turn out to be a total bust, but it's very small. If it happens, it happens. All we can do is use the information we currently have.

VVS

Nov 22, 2007
Ottawa, ON
Go look at Conacher's comments on Lehner. Bishop's size may intimidate people, but apparently Lehner is a scary player in the net as well. The kid is talented and has a mean streak to him that team's around the league are bound to take note of. If you look at Lehner and Bishop's NHL and AHL stats then you'll see Lehner has been the better player at both levels.

Where can I find those?

John Holmes*

Is there anyone worrying that we chose the wrong two goalies of the three?

What's this "small habs style forward" nonsense too?

He doesn't play like a small player.

Do you watch hockey?

jasonjim

Nov 1, 2006
OTTAWA
Conacher has spctacular vision and IQ. Something Hoffman needs to work on improving.

Spectacular vision and IQ cannot be taught. You are either born with it or you aren't. Gretzky was born with it but couldn't explain exactly what it was, and he was unsuccessful in teaching it to others as a coach.

jasonjim

Nov 1, 2006
OTTAWA
We all know Bishop is excellent - is anyone really surprised by his shutout debut? We knew this is what we were trading away. It's still a fair return.

And let's not get too worried about whether or not we chose the right goalie. Every trade has risk. Sure, there's a chance Lehner could turn out to be a total bust, but it's very small. If it happens, it happens. All we can do is use the information we currently have.

Lehner's only weakness that I can see so far is an inability to stop scorers in shootouts. Bishop was far superior to Lehner in this area.

Yokai

Mar 29, 2011
Ottawa
Latendresse speaks Swedish?

Haha maybe he heard him speaking French and somehow got confused. I remember Latendresse saying in an earlier interview that couldn't understand a word Silf/Zib said to each other on the bench. He also made the joke that all three of them trying to speak English was even worse.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad