Eklund Rumor: Ben Bishop to Philadelphia Flyers

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Logistically, it would need to be something like Bishop at 50% for Mason + ????

The Flyers are right at the cap ceiling and their LTIR players are only out a matter of weeks, not months like Stamkos. So they can't just take Bishop's $5.95m hit back.

If we take back Mason it's exactly like the Dallas situation where they wanted Yzerman to take back a goalie and he refused.

Not exactly. Mason is a UFA. Niemi and Lehtnonen are not.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
Okay so according to Eklund, There might be a Bishop to Philly deal brewing and Toronto has strong interest in Shattenkirk. What happen to Shattenkirk to Boston for Krejci e4 that was supposedly happening.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
If you have a chance to get a sure thing goaltender in any stage, you do it.

Over the previous 3 years, Bishop had a .922 SV%. Mason had a .921 SV%.

Obviously both Flyers goaltenders are off to poor starts this year but I trust the 3 year sample size compared to the 14 games Mason has played this year. And Mason has been good/excellent in at least 6 of them....so people are freaking out about an 8 game sample size.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
If we take back Mason it's exactly like the Dallas situation where they wanted Yzerman to take back a goalie and he refused.

What is Philly offering?

not the same at all as Mason's deal is expiring.

Would think Mason would actually have some appeal to Tampa

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
I mean - what are we getting back? Gotta figure Mason, but what else?

Also - LOL Eklund.

Flamesjustwin

Oct 8, 2010
London ON
Nothing to see here. Not only is it a cap thing but does Ben Bishop make the Flyers a SC favourite? If the answer is no (and it is) then why give up assets for a pending UFA?

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Having an actual goalie instead of Mason in net, wonder how many more games they would've won.

An "actual goalie" who has a SV% that's only 0.03 higher over three plus years behind a much better team.

http://www.nhl.com/stats/player?agg...2017&filter=gamesPlayed,gte,100&sort=savePctg

How good would Bishop look behind our god awful PK? Mason has actually been the better ES goalie.

http://www.nhl.com/stats/player?agg...17&filter=gamesPlayed,gte,100&sort=evSavePctg

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
Logistically, it would need to be something like Bishop at 50% for Mason + ????

The Flyers are right at the cap ceiling and their LTIR players are only out a matter of weeks, not months like Stamkos. So they can't just take Bishop's $5.95m hit back.

Not exactly. Mason is a UFA. Niemi and Lehtnonen are not.

not the same at all as Mason's deal is expiring.

Would think Mason would actually have some appeal to Tampa

Nhlnumbers listed him on the books for 2017 so I figured that meant next season. This could work, I am ok with eating some of the contract too. With Stamkos injured we should have an extra 3 million to play with.

Lets see an offer

Juicy Pop

BONK
Apr 26, 2014
Scranton, PA
Mason has been fantastic up until this year. Let's not act like he is garbage.

And this is the reason why I wouldn't be happy with this sort of a trade. Mason might be struggling right now, but how much of it is due to the fact that this team bleeds high danger scoring chances at ES?

If the problems are largely systemic then a better goalie isn't going to do much to fix it.

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
Over the previous 3 years, Bishop had a .922 SV%. Mason had a .921 SV%.

Obviously both Flyers goaltenders are off to poor starts this year but I trust the 3 year sample size compared to the 14 games Mason has played this year. And Mason has been good/excellent in at least 6 of them....so people are freaking out about an 8 game sample size.

You can't throw out games as part of the sample....

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Nhlnumbers listed him on the books for 2017 so I figured that meant next season. This could work, I am ok with eating some of the contract too. With Stamkos injured we should have an extra 3 million to play with.

Lets see an offer

Honestly....most Flyers fans don't want Bishop because we don't want to pay the contract he will try and get especially when we also are expected to trade assets for him.

Most of us would much rather have a 2 year stopgap while Stolarz, Lyon, Sandstrom and Hart develop.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
You can't throw out games as part of the sample....

The point was that the last 3 years, Bishop and Mason have almost identical SV%. There is not this huge divide like some are talking about.

This year, we acknowledge that both our goalies need to be better. And Bishop with his .908 SV% this year does too.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Normally I would write this off, but Eklund does have (or at least he used to have) at least one Philly connection...

Absolutely. His endless Byfuglien to Philly rumors were too spot on and his e42 prediction of Sanheim for Yakupov straight up was almost scary in its prescience. When I hear an Eklund Flyers rumor, I stop what I'm doing immediately.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad