Confirmed with Link: Ben Bishop Retires

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
Edit: Didn't see that it was posted in the Around Hockey and the NHL thread.
He deserves his own thread anyway. He bailed out some real shitty Lightning defense way more than people remember. As I said in the other thread I really wish he would've gotten a Cup or a Vezina so people would remember him.

He also brought an end to multiple years of nightmare goaltending, apart from one year with Roloson.

DrMartinVanNostrand

Kramerica Industries
Oct 6, 2017
Tampa, FL
What an absolute shame. Not only a really good goalie in general but absolutely as clutch as they come in big playoff games. Two Game 7 shutouts in the same postseason. Even the only times he was in net for an elimination defeat, he only gave up two goals and one of those was in double overtime. Money. It's a shame this is how it ends.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
Part of me wished he got bought out and would then be our backup for cheap but he would have had other suitors if he could still play.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
This one hits me in the feels. I don't know if enough people around the league realize just how good he was for a few years, here with us. He represented a big turning point for this franchise. I think more than any other player, he's the guy who gave us a winning culture. We got used to winning with Ben, because he was so damn hard to beat.

FinnLightning26

Death and no taxes
Sep 16, 2007
Lapland
He deserves his own thread anyway. He bailed out some real shitty Lightning defense way more than people remember. As I said in the other thread I really wish he would've gotten a Cup or a Vezina so people would remember him.

He also brought an end to multiple years of nightmare goaltending, apart from one year with Roloson.
We went to the Finals with a D group that had Carle and Sustr. Bishop deserves to be in the Hall of Fame for that alone.

DaBolts

Stanley Cup Boat Parades ROCK
Feb 3, 2015
Cryin' shame. I still have his sweater. I hope he does enjoy his retirement and remains healthy.

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
This one hits me in the feels. I don't know if enough people around the league realize just how good he was for a few years, here with us. He represented a big turning point for this franchise. I think more than any other player, he's the guy who gave us a winning culture. We got used to winning with Ben, because he was so damn hard to beat.

out goalies were terrible until he came along he helped turn our franchise around definitely good career Ben !

Discipline

Oct 14, 2019
North Carolina
Bittersweet.

I still dislike the trade that sent him off, but I understood it was for the future of the franchise. Just wish he could have been here to get a cup. :(

Reactions: ultra63

dbieon12

Vinik-Brisebois-Cooper
Jul 22, 2010
He's definitely not given enough credit for 'helping turn the franchise around' and we still model some of the way we funnel the puck up the ice off of his stickhandling.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad