Confirmed with Link: Ben Betker signed to three-year ELC

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Bit unfair there. A lot of our OKC guys are progressing very well - see Lander, Klefbom, Marincin, Arcobello, heck even Miller looked very solid last night

Was kind of a tongue in cheek comment. It will be interesting to see how our AHL guys develop now that Nelson isn't coaching there.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
OK, fine... not going to get excited about this guy any time soon. But it's nice to have a big guy in the system... but yet another lefty.

oilz89*

OK, fine... not going to get excited about this guy any time soon. But it's nice to have a big guy in the system... but yet another lefty.

True lol imagine if Tambo was our GM right now. He'd be like "hey we have no right handed players!!!! :amazed:". He goes on to draft all the right handed players he can get his hands on, no matter their potential or numbers :laugh:

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
Good to see. He doesn't read the game as well as some other prospects, like Musil, so he's going to need some seasoning, but with that frame, you've got to give him a shot

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I've been a big fan of his for some time. That said at 6'6" he needs to get up to at least 230lbs. to play a physical style at the pro game. Interestingly enough Pronger IIRC was 6'6" 220lbs. but he was pretty damn strong.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
I've been a big fan of his for some time. That said at 6'6" he needs to get up to at least 230lbs. to play a physical style at the pro game. Interestingly enough Pronger IIRC was 6'6" 220lbs. but he was pretty damn strong.

That's what he was listed at, but I still have a hard time believing Pronger wasn't bigger

McArthur

May 26, 2010
Hockey Heart Land
Scouting reports say better skater than Musil, plus has a slight offensive touch. Big shutdown defender. Hes progressed since draft day very well. Maybe try him at RHD in OKC soon?

I think he has good potential, maybe a solid bottom pairing guy or Fistric upside (maybe more)
The Musil replacement...

who was found in the 6th round.
lol
Gernat replacement, Musil still has hope (faint glimmer)
How has Gernat not figured out the AHL game yet?
Not sure the faint glimmer is accurate either. It'll be a long road for Musil but OKC's new coach - whose name escapes me - has said he's the most improved blue liner on the team
Flemming, any more call ups and he'll be the only blue liner on the team
I take it people finally fell out of Love with Gernet?
ECHL?

Even big and dumb can have a slap shot.

Approved Variety

Nov 14, 2010

You say that like you don't expect him to get heavier with time in Bakersfield.

Less games, more practices, training sessions, and time in the gym.

I don't see THAT being his problem, whatsoever. WHL western conference defensive d of the year. That's impressive.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton

I don't see THAT being his problem, whatsoever. WHL western conference defensive d of the year. That's impressive.

Not bad for a guy we snagged 6th round.

Between guys like Yak2, Slepyshev, Platzer, Houck, Chase, Khaira, and Betker we might have more NHLers out of the 3rd round + than we do out of the 2nd round.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004

He's bound to get heavier, however how much more time does he have in the AHL than in the WHL to do so? This isn't the NCAA that we're talking about here. Most of it will come from offseason training IMO. Also if you noticed any posts that I've made of him in the past I am a fan of his, I'm just calling it as I see it, he needs to get heavier and stronger to take that next step successfully.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Not bad for a guy we snagged 6th round.

Between guys like Yak2, Slepyshev, Platzer, Houck, Chase, Khaira, and Betker we might have more NHLers out of the 3rd round + than we do out of the 2nd round.

I'm not sold on the non bolded guys yet. The bolded guys I think have the basis of what it takes but time will tell.

Approved Variety

Nov 14, 2010
He's bound to get heavier, however how much more time does he have in the AHL than in the WHL to do so? This isn't the NCAA that we're talking about here. Most of it will come from offseason training IMO. Also if you noticed any posts that I've made of him in the past I am a fan of his, I'm just calling it as I see it, he needs to get heavier and stronger to take that next step successfully.

Check out the proposed schedule for Bakersfield, if it can be found. With the new division, the team will have a dozen less games, and be home more often than any AHL team not in that division. The estimated practice # , and hours if gym time will more than double what OKC has. Combine that with the fact that Oilers management has full personnel control (so our AHL lines will be whatever we want, which isn't what happens in OKC or WHL) and the pro league trainers...

I'd be surprised if a guy with a frame like Betker's isn't a 235lb monster in 2 to 3 years, when he'd be 24 and ready for the NHL. Doesn't need to be rushed at all.

The conditioning and training available to our affiliate in Bakersfield will massacre what we have now, and be the best spot for any of our prospects too good for the ECHL.

tiger_80

Apr 11, 2007
That's what he was listed at, but I still have a hard time believing Pronger wasn't bigger

Yeah, one should not put too much trust into the numbers on the website. Pronger was not a skinny guy, there was no way he was only 220 at 6.6. Heck Marincin who is shorter weighs more than 200.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Check out the proposed schedule for Bakersfield, if it can be found. With the new division, the team will have a dozen less games, and be home more often than any AHL team not in that division. The estimated practice # , and hours if gym time will more than double what OKC has. Combine that with the fact that Oilers management has full personnel control (so our AHL lines will be whatever we want, which isn't what happens in OKC or WHL) and the pro league trainers...

I'd be surprised if a guy with a frame like Betker's isn't a 235lb monster in 2 to 3 years, when he'd be 24 and ready for the NHL. Doesn't need to be rushed at all.

The conditioning and training available to our affiliate in Bakersfield will massacre what we have now, and be the best spot for any of our prospects too good for the ECHL.

Cool, I was unaware of that. That will definitely help our young guys in terms of off ice training and on ice training for that matter.

Samus44

Enjoy the ride.
Aug 5, 2010

How did they not? They own the Barons.

oilers'72

Jul 3, 2006
Red Deer, Alta
Seeing some people posting in the WHL and Everett Facebook groups that Betker broke his arm last night. Haven't seen any stories on this, though.

Approved Variety

Nov 14, 2010
How did they not? They own the Barons.

Because Oilers. Why did they not push for full roster control in OKC? Couldn't tell you, but the club was more interested in winning games than development.

According to oiler management and the affiliate group, that won't be the case in Bakersfield.

We'll play our guys the # of minutes we want, and focus on a full roster of our guys, rather than AHL-only contracts to bolster wins.

Kalost

Jan 21, 2015
I take it people finally fell out of Love with Gernet?
he was always goiing to be a guy who would take a lot of time.. however we are oozing LHD and i really question if Gernat has the intensity/drive to make it.

Betker, 6'6, 220lb defender scored 31 points in 64 games (also +19 rating) for the Everett Silvertips.

nice to see more of our late picks showing some promise

Ad

Upcoming events

• Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $9,251.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Torino vs Bologna
    Torino vs Bologna
    Wagers: 5