Confirmed with Link: Bemstrom to PIT for Alex Nylander and a conditional 6th

GoJackets1

Someday.
Aug 21, 2008
Montana
I hate to be this guy but im still not convinced.

Nylander is shooting above 17% (1st), with 21% of his starts coming in the ozone (2nd), playing 17+ mins a night mostly alongside Jenner and Gaudreau, and sometimes Sillinger and Texier. He’s not really a playmaker, his assists/60 are only better than Meyer and Pyythia. His P/60 are being helped by his G/60, but I doubt Nylander ever gets this type of favorable TOI (wrt Teammates, zone starts, ATOI) again. If he is on the team next year he’s going to be a middle 6 winger, and at that point what is he providing outside of his shot? I don’t see him as a physical player, speedy, or two-way; what is he adding? What makes him a better player than Roslovic (who the team decided wasn’t needed next year)?
He was playing just as well with Sillinger and (I believe) Texier earlier, no?

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
What makes him a better player than Roslovic (who the team decided wasn’t needed next year)?

He is making $775k. I get your point, but he is an RFA with a contract that pays barely above the league minimum salary. I certainly don’t give him anything more than a 1 year contract.

I do wonder what the guys in the room think about him getting 17 minutes a night, but he is taking advantage of his opportunity in a way that Bemstrom (who was supposed to be a great scorer) never did.

We still have too many wings. Texier, Marchenko, Chinakhov, Johnson (have we decided he is a wing?), and Nylander all need new contracts. It will be an interesting off season.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137

Nylander is shooting above 17% (1st), with 21% of his starts coming in the ozone (2nd), playing 17+ mins a night mostly alongside Jenner and Gaudreau, and sometimes Sillinger and Texier. He’s not really a playmaker, his assists/60 are only better than Meyer and Pyythia. His P/60 are being helped by his G/60, but I doubt Nylander ever gets this type of favorable TOI (wrt Teammates, zone starts, ATOI) again. If he is on the team next year he’s going to be a middle 6 winger, and at that point what is he providing outside of his shot? I don’t see him as a physical player, speedy, or two-way; what is he adding? What makes him a better player than Roslovic (who the team decided wasn’t needed next year)?
Well for starters, his contract.

KCbus

Jan 3, 2010
Reynoldsburg, OH
Nylander looks like he’s playing over his head and out of his mind right now. I mean, 10 goals in 17 games is flirting with 50-goal-season pace. Have the CBJ EVER had a guy do that, apart from the one season Nash had 41?

I know that this guy has largely been a bust in his career. But man, if he’s finally cracked the code and found the right spot for himself, and he’s playing like this for a bad team that’s missing some key parts, can you imagine what a boost he could be going forward?

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
I'm just going to enjoy a nice thing for a change. He may amount to nothing but he's been a thrill...a good player. He's never not had the work ethic by all accounts and he's simply had a few injuries that appear to have impacted his trajectory but for once can we just enjoy something that is good and take the CBJ in front of it out of the equation. So many on here already expecting him to fail. For what? just so you can come back and say "I told you so"?

Good for him. Good for CBJ. It's about time to have a positive to talk about.

Apr 9, 2009
USA
I'm just going to enjoy a nice thing for a change. He may amount to nothing but he's been a thrill...a good player. He's never not had the work ethic by all accounts and he's simply had a few injuries that appear to have impacted his trajectory but for once can we just enjoy something that is good and take the CBJ in front of it out of the equation. So many on here already expecting him to fail. For what? just so you can come back and say "I told you so"?

I don't think anyone wants him to fail, he has just sucked everywhere else he's played. A vanilla middling fourth liner at best.

I'm glad he's doing so well though, and hope he continues.

EDIT: I thought I was on the main boards. Probably wouldn't have said anything had I realized.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cowumbus and cslebn

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011

I think your feeling of not being convinced is fair. It’s a small sample size based on his total professional years but it’s been a good sample. I’m also on a wait and see mode but there’s a few things I’ve liked so far. One is his initial production while on the 3rd line. The other is his willingness to go to the net, an attribute not prevalent in most of our wingers.

His lack of assist doesn’t bother me as he’s on a line with Johnny who is an all assists, no goals guy. Nylander and Voronkov both head to the net while Johnny carries the puck which is a reason I believe the line has been successful. I’m anxious to see more in these final games.

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Arena District - Columbus

You’re the one saying that. If he ends up being a good player that would be great, but I’m voicing my hesitation. He’s playing in essentially meaningless games in a favorable teammate situation that he probably won’t ever get again. This team already has a glut of middle 6 forwards, and adding in another fringe guy is not going to do much to solve that long term. If I had to pick between keeping Nylander or getting a veteran UFA I’m picking UFA every time.

We saw Roslovic (a much more proven player) play at a 60 point pace for over half a season not that long ago.

He is making $775k. I get your point, but he is an RFA with a contract that pays barely above the league minimum salary. I certainly don’t give him anything more than a 1 year contract.
Thats a good point, but if they are making the same amount of money who do you think is a better player?

If they extend him I hope you’re right that it’s 1 year (and low money).

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
I do think maybe Nylander has caught lightning in a bottle in what he realized was probably his last chance at the NHL level.

I think he has earned another contract. A one year contract. To see if he can replicate that success.

But as far as banking on him as “this is him now” I just can’t do that. Jack Skille was amazing here when we claimed him off waivers, then he turned into nothing the next season. It happens.

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
You’re the one saying that. If he ends up being a good player that would be great, but I’m voicing my hesitation. He’s playing in essentially meaningless games in a favorable teammate situation that he probably won’t ever get again. This team already has a glut of middle 6 forwards, and adding in another fringe guy is not going to do much to solve that long term. If I had to pick between keeping Nylander or getting a veteran UFA I’m picking UFA every time.

We saw Roslovic (a much more proven player) play at a 60 point pace for over half a season not that long ago.

Thats a good point, but if they are making the same amount of money who do you think is a better player?

If they extend him I hope you’re right that it’s 1 year (and low money).
I'm saying what? Enjoy something good while it lasts. It may not last but he's been good. I mean we shit on everything because it's the cbj. I choose to enjoy something fun to see. I get that it's not a realistic expectation at the pace he's on but he was a 1st round pick...a high one... and he's getting a chance to play. I'm saying enjoy it. That's all.

Nov 13, 2006
Ohio
We should call him Alex "Pumpkin" Nylander, because it is guaranteed people will say he has turned into a pumpkin anytime he goes a few games without a point. It will be that way even if he is good for a year or two.
I think at this point I'm cautiously optimistic. This time of year can be garbage time where players look better or worse than their "normal" long term play and production. Nylander has been playing well, exceeding most of our expectations. Can he do it next season for an entire season? I hope so.

Go Great Pumpkin!

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
I do think maybe Nylander has caught lightning in a bottle in what he realized was probably his last chance at the NHL level.

I think he has earned another contract. A one year contract. To see if he can replicate that success.

But as far as banking on him as “this is him now” I just can’t do that. Jack Skille was amazing here when we claimed him off waivers, then he turned into nothing the next season. It happens.

I'm showing Skille with 4 goals and no assists in 16 games when he came to Columbus so I'll have to give a (strong) nod to Nylander on the comparison.

Full agreement on a one year deal. Too many real concerns to sign him longer. Unless he wants to do a Justin Danforth-type $975k/2 year deal. Probably would be a good idea for him in terms of security and if he turns out to be a nothing burger, he could be sent to the AHL for the duration of his deal and his contract could be "buried" and not impact the CBJ cap. If he is a legit 20 goal scorer then the CBJ have a steal of a deal.

Reactions: EspenK

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009

I'm showing Skille with 4 goals and no assists in 16 games when he came to Columbus so I'll have to give a (strong) nod to Nylander on the comparison.

Full agreement on a one year deal. Too many real concerns to sign him longer. Unless he wants to do a Justin Danforth-type $975k/2 year deal. Probably would be a good idea for him in terms of security and if he turns out to be a nothing burger, he could be sent to the AHL for the duration of his deal and his contract could be "buried" and not impact the CBJ cap. If he is a legit 20 goal scorer then the CBJ have a steal of a deal.
I only remember that era so well because that was my freshman year of college, and for some reason our top line for game 3 at home against Pittsburgh was Jenner-Johansen-Skille lol

Doggy

Oct 11, 2011
For those standing up and arguing that Nylander better be getting a one year deal for close to league minimum, has anyone else here suggested anything otherwise? Of course it's a one year "prove it" deal. He might get a little more than league minimum but doubt it's too much more.

As for his playing on the top line and benefitting from that, WTF cares? Laine played with Gaudreau and Jenner and couldn't do shit with it. If Nylander can produce like a top line player simply by being paired with top line talent then that's awesome!

As for dissing on his skills and previous production. Maybe he doesn't have a ton of assists but I see a guy who makes very good outlet and cross ice passes (the vision is there), a guy who is not scared to play in the offensive slots, can shoot and carry the puck in the offensive zone. I don't know if it is because he thinks this is his "last chance" but some of the skills I have seen outside of the scoring have less to do with who his line mates and more to do with his abilities. I am hopeful for what he might do in 2024-2025. Maybe it works, maybe it doesn't but I am not simply writing him off.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00