Laval Rocket: Belleville Senators at Laval Rocket 7:00 pm - Watch on RDS or AHL TV (free game, need to register an account)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Happy for another Mailloux point. Wish Reinbacher would've got one too.
Gotta like the fact that he's still putting up points despite struggling lately.
I said it was a good sign with Suzuki when he didn't have his "A" game early in his career so the same goes for this Dman.

Reactions: Gravity

themilosh

Sponsor
Apr 27, 2015
Oakville, ON
Dobes was by far the best player on the ice tonight, unreal. As much as I harp on our scouting department, it feels like we've almost always had great goaltenders.
For the same reason we haven't had a top 10 goal scorer in over 40yrs, there is something about the montreal market where goaltenders just strive. I think it has to do with the "culture" of the fan base and atmosphere of the building that keeps goalies razor focused...
This is also true of visiting goalies, which is why we tend to be a low scoring team.

Just my theory but is it really "scouting" that has produced these goalies since the 80s?
Off the top of my head:
Dryden
Penny
Walmsley/Racicot/Soetart
Roy
Thibault
Theodore
Huet
Halak
Price

and now Monty out of nowhere....

Eegs

Jan 9, 2018
BC
1711771499091.png

• Love
Reactions: Sagikev

Mudz

David >> Michkov
Sep 11, 2006
Montréal
DR is so good. He's gonna look so good in the NHL. He will get 50 pts ez. He's so smart, he'll get a lot of passes
Can't wait to see Mailloux run a PP in the NHL.
Bisson is bad defensively. AHL hockey is bad.
Nice chemistry between Ferrell and DR

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
For the same reason we haven't had a top 10 goal scorer in over 40yrs, there is something about the montreal market where goaltenders just strive. I think it has to do with the "culture" of the fan base and atmosphere of the building that keeps goalies razor focused...
This is also true of visiting goalies, which is why we tend to be a low scoring team.

Just my theory but is it really "scouting" that has produced these goalies since the 80s?
Off the top of my head:
Dryden
Penny
Walmsley/Racicot/Soetart
Roy
Thibault
Theodore
Huet
Halak
Price

and now Monty out of nowhere....
I thought Jeff Hackett was solid as a Hab as well

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Remember when people were calling Dobes an ECHL goalies? Good times

It's like a reverse Primeau who was compared to Dryden in his first 10 games.

Both time, people urging patience and identifying team factors skewing the stats were right.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
We don't need them ALL to 'make it'
Let's not kid ourselves we do. :D
Net win if we can move one or two of them for a draft pick higher than what we used to select them.
Net win if we can package one of them for a core type player role or otherwise.
Let's have 7 years of feasting after all those years of famine.

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
We have an happy problem of good goalies. Hughes will hit jackpot trading some of them, maybe. We can run decent goaltending for the next 5 years for less than 7M. And Hughes can trade some of them for middle to great return. But he have plenty of time to evaluate what he have in his hands. No time worry.

Reactions: BLONG7

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
I thought Jeff Hackett was solid as a Hab as well

Vokoun was in the system as well, but the Habs lost him in the expansion draft. This was a time when they also had Theodore, Hackett, and Garon in the organization.

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
Except for the short time when Dryden caught the team off guard & retired till butterfly Penny came in for Cinderella run - G has never been a major issue w Habs org, they’ve always found a solid option (Penny, Roy, Hackett, Theodore, Huet, Halak, Price, Monty)

G is in the Habs DNA, like left hitters w NYY or pitchers w Dodgers

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
at the moment but lots of hockey still to be played.

Steady. Used on the PK. Very strong defensively. He does alot of things that are important but are barely noticeable. Smart player. He has a bright future.
He is getting caught out and beat to outside with the speed coming back at him but his reach has saved him more than once.
It's probably up to about 5 times where I thought he was beat and he recovered without taking a penalty.
There were also other times where he was cleanly beat and Dobes bailed him.

This was always going to be his biggest challenge but I think he's already heads and tails above All our Dmen in Laval at interpreting the play.
I'm curious to see how much he can improve his release and work on finding a one timer with our skills coach.
I say this because he has a talent for finding open space something we could see in the development camp over the summer.

Reactions: Tyson

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
He is getting caught out and beat to outside with the speed coming back at him but his reach has saved him more than once.
It's probably up to about 5 times where I thought he was beat and he recovered without taking a penalty.
There were also other times where he was cleanly beat and Dobes bailed him.

This was always going to be his biggest challenge but I think he's already heads and tails above All our Dmen in Laval at interpreting the play.
I'm curious to see how much he can improve his release and work on finding a one timer with our skills coach.
I say this because he has a talent for finding open space something we could see in the development camp over the summer.
I am seeing now why he was drafted #5

Reactions: Rapala

Sam de Mtl

Oct 11, 2021
We have a good goalie pipeline again. It's cool it didn't require too much investment. A 7th round pick for our 1B. Waivers for our 1A. 5th round pick for Dobes. 3rd for Fowler. A few wildcards later, especially Volokin who sounds promising.

Canadiens98

Jan 29, 2021
Dobes is one of the most underrated pieces in the system right now imho. He's only 22 years old, put up some incredible numbers in Ohio, and since Christmas he's been adjusting beautifully in Laval. a 6'5 monster.
Yes Fowler is the brand new shiny toy but Cub Dubs definitely deserves his praise. Gotta love it.
I think it has to be between Dobes and William Trudeau

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad