Belleville Bulls sold and relocating to Hamilton?

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
This story already broke in the Bulls stickied topic, but figured it was more than big enough news to warrant a topic for everybody.

Only problem... there's nothing really to report, yet. No info on who bought the team and where they want to move the Bulls to.

We have learned that the Belleville Bulls have been sold and may well be moving by next year.

As our Sports Director Jack Miller reports this news comes suddenly and with no warning.

We will keep you updated as this story develops.
http://www.quintenews.com/2015/03/breaking-belleville-bulls-sold-and-moving/82617/

Reports are circulating this afternoon that the Belleville Bulls have been sold and will move to Hamilton.

We will report more on this later today.
http://www.intelligencer.ca/2015/03/12/bulls-sold-on-the-move

Condolences, Bulls fans.

Edit: and as I was typing that, the second link updated to say Hamilton before I noticed it.

From Up Top

Apr 30, 2010
It's a surprise, but at the same, not.

The ongoing situation with the arena and the low attendance seems to have finally caught up with the team.

Its very sad as the Bulls have one of the best uniforms in the OHL!

Renegader

Sep 22, 2012
It's a surprise, but at the same, not.

The ongoing situation with the arena and the low attendance seems to have finally caught up with the team.

Its very sad as the Bulls have one of the best uniforms in the OHL!

Attendance is down across the league so don't give me that bogus excuse. There are 2 reasons for this move. Simmonds (current Bulls owner) who never had any intention on keeping the team in Belleville. Was just looking to make a buck on a sale, and Branch who under his watch sees teams fly from one city to the next. Now us Bulls fans are losing a team that has been here for over 30 years. Small market cities are dead thanks to Branch. Look out Peterborough, Sarnia and others.

From Up Top

Apr 30, 2010
Attendance is down across the league so don't give me that bogus excuse. There are 2 reasons for this move. Simmonds (current Bulls owner) who never had any intention on keeping the team in Belleville. Was just looking to make a buck on a sale, and Branch who under his watch sees teams fly from one city to the next. Now us Bulls fans are losing a team that has been here for over 30 years. Small market cities are dead thanks to Branch. Look out Peterborough, Sarnia and others.

This is true, and unfortunately I wouldn't be surprised if a similar situation played out in Sudbury.

Whalers Fan

Go Habs!
Sep 24, 2012
Plymouth, MI
As a season ticket holder who is losing his team in a little over a week, I feel for Bulls fans if this is true. However, what happened to the deadline for applying to the league for a franchise relocation? We are far past that date in order for a relocation to happen for next season.

EON

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 31, 2013
Raleigh, NC
As a season ticket holder who is losing his team in a little over a week, I feel for Bulls fans if this is true. However, what happened to the deadline for applying to the league for a franchise relocation? We are far past that date in order for a relocation to happen for next season.

correct me if I'm wrong but hasn't this happened before? Anyways I don't think the OHL particularly cares about that to be honest, I'm sure powerful enough people can push it right through

noobie1

Oct 30, 2014
If they move to Hamilton who is most likely to replace them in the East?

Mississauga/North Bay/Barrie?

my guess is that they remain in the East at least for next season if not beyond that... You would want to have Niagara, Hamilton, And Mississauga in the same conference but not sure anyone makes more sense then another to move..

From Up Top

Apr 30, 2010

My money is on Mississauga. However, having Hamilton and Niagara both in the Central with Barrie, North Bay and Sudbury doesn't make a whole lot of sense so some clever realignment may be necessary.

Evil Doctor

Cryin' Hank crying
Apr 29, 2009
Cambridge, ON

It's most likely the application for relocation was placed in some time ago. The AHL Bulldogs still had a year left in their lease, so the news that they would be moving to St. John's of all places, probably meant that a deal to bring in an OHL team was already a done deal, at least in principle.

Messes up the divisions for sure. Mississauga will want to be in the same division as Hamilton, so you are probably looking at one of the northern teams. Ideally Hamilton would want to be in the same division as London, Kitchener, and Guelph, but I don't see that as a possibility anymore.

RoyalCitySlicker

Sep 6, 2013
Damn. glad my wife and I made it out to Belleville this year for the first time.

Sorry Bulls fans...it's a real shame.

Ward Cornell

Dec 22, 2007
As an Erie Otters fan thank heavens that those rumors are now done.
As a hockey fan I feel for you Bulls fans.

Don't worry....I'm sure there will be rumours about the Otters relocating to Belleville soon enough! :laugh:

Glad for the good fans of Erie that this rumour of Hamilton will now go away.
Sorry to the fans of Belleville!

From Up Top

Apr 30, 2010
Thats the problem now - we have two groups of three that make too much sense to break up (North Bay/Sudbury/Barrie and Missy/Hamilton/Niagara). I get the feeling we may see a massive juggling of the divisions.

You could form a new South Division.

South: Erie, Niagara, Hamilton, Kitchener, London
East: Ottawa, Kingston, Oshawa, Peterborough, Mississauga
Central: Sudbury, North Bay, Barrie, Owen Sound, Guelph
West: SSM, Saginaw, Flint, Sarnia, Windsor

I know breaking up Guelph and Kitchener is not ideal, but something drastic will have to be done with Hamilton in the picture.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
It's official:

OntarioHockeyLeague ‏@OHLHockey 15s16 seconds ago

#OHL Board of Governors approve transfer of ownership and relocation of Belleville Bulls @OHLBulls to Hamilton

Woodhouse

Dec 20, 2007
New York, NY

toronto, on – the ontario hockey league today announced the board of governors’ approval for the transfer of ownership and relocation of the belleville bulls hockey club to hamilton, ontario.

The team, which has been purchased by michael andlauer, will be renamed the hamilton bulldogs and will play in the ohl’s east division out of firstontario centre starting in the 2015-16 season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad