OT: Beijing 2022 Olympics: Games on

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I don't think it's much of an asterisk, tbh. Does Babcock get an asterisk for winning with Team Canada? I mean, Hamilton should have asterisks for driving by far the best car.

You really believe Finland would have won it all I f NHL players had not pulled out? :help:

I don’t think there ought to be an asterisk when every country’s best players are available. What is Babcock supposed to do, desist? I think it’s a false equivalency as we have many countries who dominate outrageously in several Olympic events and their coaches shouldn’t get asterisks either.

But, anyone winning in a severely diminished playing field has a questionable win IMHO. Desharnais and Weal were playing for Team Canada, patched up with a bunch of retreads and rejects. What a joke.

Let the Finnish coach rest on his other laurels where the playing field was at its very best. But not this charade.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
You really believe Finland would have won it all I f NHL players had not pulled out? :help:

I didn't say that. But if you're ridiculing the idea of Finland winning with NHL players available, what kind of asterisk is it if Jukka wouldn't have lead the team to victory in that case?

I don’t think there ought to be an asterisk when every country’s best players are available. What is Babcock supposed to do, desist? I think it’s a false equivalency as we have many countries who dominate outrageously in several Olympic events and their coaches shouldn’t get asterisks either.

But, anyone winning in a severely diminished playing field has a questionable win IMHO. Desharnais and Weal were playing for Team Canada, patched up with a bunch of retreads and rejects. What a joke.

Let the Finnish coach rest on his other laurels where the playing field was at its very best. But not this charade.

You're the one putting asterisks, I don't understand why we ought to in the first place. What is Jukka Jalonen supposed to do, desist? Finland's team is also depleted, and he can only coach against the opponents he has. And he coached them to an undefeated performance and gold medal.

This reads like rank copium to me. It's not Jukka's fault Canada's a glass cannon, it's Canada's.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
What’s with the copium? Do I need a Twitch account to get some of that?

Look, I did give the guy his due for his other accomplishments where the playing field was at its best. I’ll leave it at that.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
What’s with the copium? Do I need a Twitch account to get some of that?

Look, I did give the guy his due for his other accomplishments where the playing field was at its best. I’ll leave it at that.

9100d2x8lxi81.png

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
You have to think that if Fedotov would want to come to NA....he'd be a solid goalie no?

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I too have barely watched.

I don't know what it is either, I couldn't get into it after years of investing so many hours into it.

tazsub3

May 30, 2016
i usually adore the olympics, these, never got me going. some events i watched and cheered the Canadians but that rush i usually have was non existent .
cant blame the time difference, as i had it for japan and korea before.

Reactions: eklund the clown

pepperMonkey

Aug 2, 2005
Toronto
It's amazing how good Norway is. 5.3 million people, 35 medals - 15 golds, 8 silvers and 12 bronze medals!
Norway had two athletes collect 5 medals each in biathlon. I.e. almost a third of their medals came from two athletes. Course, that’s a sport where Canadians has had almost no presence.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal

I don't know what it is either, I couldn't get into it after years of investing so many hours into it.

It's the crazy time difference.

The 2018 Winter Olympics were in South Korea
The 2020 Summer Olympics played in 2021 were in Japan
The 2022 Winter Olympics were in China

Having all these events consecutively on the other side of the world, it is hard to get into them.

For me, the only reason I was able to catch parts of the Summer Olympics was because I was on vacation at that time and was able to stay up during those late hours.

Reactions: Runner77

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017

Yeah, I'm usually glued to the Olympics but I was a lot less invested in this one.

I think cbc has historically done a fantastic job with how much they put in to their Olympic broadcasts, but their coverage also felt a bit casual this year. I don't mean to say there was less content because there was no shortage of that, but the overall presentation just felt as if it wasn't a big deal relative to past Olympic coverages. It felt like a more generic output from them this year.

puckeater

Dec 3, 2005
Yeah, communist state controlled media can have that feel of sterilization. Not one camera angle of outside the Olympic venue. Not one.

kalessin

Jun 11, 2007
It's the crazy time difference.

The 2018 Winter Olympics were in South Korea
The 2020 Summer Olympics played in 2021 were in Japan
The 2022 Winter Olympics were in China

Having all these events consecutively on the other side of the world, it is hard to get into them.

For me, the only reason I was able to catch parts of the Summer Olympics was because I was on vacation at that time and was able to stay up during those late hours.
I don't know. Lots of events were on either during prime time or morning eastern time. Pretty favorable time zone all around. Next winter games in Italy will have a lot of medals awarded during the day over here with nothing live in prime time.

Viewing numbers were about half last Olympics in the same time zone, so I guess there's something else going on. General aversion to the Chinese government plays a big part I would imagine. For me, I watched a lot, but what kept it from being a classic games was the smaller than usual crowds and poor snow conditions for a lot of events.

It didn't help that Canada performed relatively weakly (at least in terms of gold medals - which is what we should be aiming for) and of course the absence of the best male hockey players.

There were still some great Canadian moments and I'm proud of all our athletes who gave it their all under trying conditions.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
I don't know. Lots of events were on either during prime time or morning eastern time. Pretty favorable time zone all around. Next winter games in Italy will have a lot of medals awarded during the day over here with nothing live in prime time.

Viewing numbers were about half last Olympics in the same time zone, so I guess there's something else going on. General aversion to the Chinese government plays a big part I would imagine. For me, I watched a lot, but what kept it from being a classic games was the smaller than usual crowds and poor snow conditions for a lot of events.

It didn't help that Canada performed relatively weakly (at least in terms of gold medals - which is what we should be aiming for) and of course the absence of the best male hockey players.

There were still some great Canadian moments and I'm proud of all our athletes who gave it their all under trying conditions.

All that is well and good, but I was talking about myself. Whenever the events I am usually most interest in were going on, it was either in the middle of the night, where I sleep because I work in the morning or it was in the morning hours, when I'm at work.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
And now, a special shoutout to the unsung heroes willing to undergo bone chilling challenges in their quest for Gold.

In related news, you can experience the same condition as that skier just by being married long enough.

Reactions: LeHab and JianYang

peate

Smiley
Sponsor
Feb 16, 2007
The Island
Games were ok overall, nothing special. I got to see what I wanted and the camera work was great. Vancouver is still tops as far as recent games go.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
And now, a special shoutout to the unsung heroes willing to undergo bone chilling challenges in their quest for Gold.

In related news, you can experience the same condition as that skier just by being married long enough.

I heard today on the TSN690 morning show that this isn't the first time this happens to this guy.

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal

I guess he watched American Pie once too many times. Wanted to know if the pie scene worked with snow.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Games were ok overall, nothing special. I got to see what I wanted and the camera work was great. Vancouver is still tops as far as recent games go.

You’d have changed your tune if Miley were headlining the opening or closing ceremonies, wearing a Charlie Brown t-shirt.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad