Behind the Battle Discussion

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
An interesting watch.

My take-a-ways:

1) As my late mother might have said:"Jarmo is a cold fish". On a 1 to 10 scale of being personable rating him a 3 is a stretch.

2) Davidson is an expensive piece of excess baggage.

3) I wanted Jarmo to go and have Flynn or McRae appointed interim GM. I wouldn't appoint Flynn to be an asst GM of a lemonade stand. Total toady. I would expect Jarmo to hire this type.

4) You can tell that Fantilli has that great athlete's ego/confidence. But he's not an ass.

5) Pronorov seems to be a great dude.

Last edited:
Reactions: Farmboy Patty

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137

Pretty dope Gavin Brindley signed as a witness on Fantillis contract.

Seems like Fantilli did mocap for NHL 24 possibly?

Gudbranson confused why Mo is Fantillis nickname lol

Nothing about Babcock(not surprising anyone)

Last edited:
Reactions: CBJWerenski8

squashmaple

gudbranson apologist
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2022
Columbus

Names seem to be important to Guddy. At the STH event earlier this season with players at stations for signing, my best friend and he had a good laugh. She has an unusual first name, especially for her race, and he took the time to ask her to spell it before he signed her poster. Then he said it was a pretty name and she said “Thanks, my parents picked it out” which made him and Sillinger (who was seated next to him) both crack up.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009

If I wasn't already depressed about how the season was unfolding this could have sold me into believing they'd be a decent team.

Always love these videos.

Werenski is an awful basketball player. That shooting form is terrible. Also did he not learn from Johansen about getting a CBJ themed court? :sarcasm:

CBJ goalie

May 19, 2005
London, Ontario
I'm gonna say it, because we're all thinking it after watching this latest episode; Gaudreau can sink that long putt but he can't score any goals to save his life now.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137

Remember when we had all that kick back on the boards on why we would trade for Olivier?!

He seems like such a great locker room/community rep and just a genuinely great guy. Obviously that's not the only reason you grab someone but he's been more than capable in his role.

Last edited:
Reactions: Viqsi and Xoggz22

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009

Remember when we had all that kick back on the boards on why we would trade for Olivier?!

He seems like such a great locker room/community rep and just a genuinely great guy. Obviously that's not the only reason you grab someone but he's been more than capable in his role.

Good episode but I am quite concerned that the team doctor cleared Fantilli to return to play after the skate gash and he himself had to pull the plug only to find out when he got back for his MRI he was essentially out for the year.

Thought JD and Flynn managed the deadline pretty well too.

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
Watching these episodes.. sure seems to be a stark difference in commanding a room between Vogel and PV.. seemed in most clips the players didn’t really look at PV when he’s speaking . Whereas in Cleveland’s locker room , everyone is engaged .

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
Watching these episodes.. sure seems to be a stark difference in commanding a room between Vogel and PV.. seemed in most clips the players didn’t really look at PV when he’s speaking . Whereas in Cleveland’s locker room , everyone is engaged .
You're comparing a locker room that already won a division title versus a locker room that's finished in the bottom 5..

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
You're comparing a locker room that already won a division title versus a locker room that's finished in the bottom 5..
I could show you video from earlier in the year as well if you want to see it … Maybe coaching has a part in why the teams finished the way they did ? PV , like McCarthy , was a last minute fall back option when the initial hire blew up in their face … It’s not like Cleveland has a stacked roster .. forwards are ok.. Svozil, Jiricek, and Greaves are playing like stars

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
I could show you video from earlier in the year as well if you want to see it … Maybe coaching has a part in why the teams finished the way they did ? PV , like McCarthy , was a last minute fall back option when the initial hire blew up in their face … It’s not like Cleveland has a stacked roster .. forwards are ok.. Svozil, Jiricek, and Greaves are playing like stars
It's such a small clip it's barely a glimpse inside what it feels like in one of those rooms. People tend to freeze up and act differently with a camera in their face as well.

Id take what you can from those clips with a grain of salt.

Reactions: CBJWerenski8

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
It's such a small clip it's barely a glimpse inside what it feels like in one of those rooms. People tend to freeze up and act differently with a camera in their face as well.

Id take what you can from those clips with a grain of salt.

89103a57-1596-4a2c-ac28-3f1eb8ec9dc4_screenshot.jpg

Reactions: Jovavic

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Arena District - Columbus
Good episode but I am quite concerned that the team doctor cleared Fantilli to return to play after the skate gash and he himself had to pull the plug only to find out when he got back for his MRI he was essentially out for the year.

Thought JD and Flynn managed the deadline pretty well too.
I thought it was weird that our AGM was like “idk maybe a 4th that becomes a 3rd if they reach the finals I don’t know?”

Does our management just spitball player’s values or do we any sort of formula / metrics from scouts on how valuable these guys are… or how likely our conditions will be met on deals like that? Am I over analyzing, idk.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I thought it was weird that our AGM was like “idk maybe a 4th that becomes a 3rd if they reach the finals I don’t know?”

Does our management just spitball player’s values or do we any sort of formula / metrics from scouts on how valuable these guys are… or how likely our conditions will be met on deals like that? Am I over analyzing, idk.

Peeke and Roslovic at the deadline were as valuable as teams said they were. We were going to take what we could get, so I think they did a decent job at modestly pushing up the price. We knew we weren't going to have leverage in those situations.

Reactions: MoeBartoli

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Arena District - Columbus
Peeke and Roslovic at the deadline were as valuable as teams said they were. We were going to take what we could get, so I think they did a decent job at modestly pushing up the price. We knew we weren't going to have leverage in those situations.
I don’t care about value really. Idk Flynn just comes across as a goober in everything I’ve seen over the years.

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011

The obvious reference point (which you are likely citing) is the NFL draft where picks have point values, creating market value through math. Ultimately the value ends up being determined by the wisdom of the selection. That would seem much harder to do with players than picks. . In the end, player trades are horse trading - what’s it worth to each based on less tangible or mathematical evaluations.

Reactions: Viqsi

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad