Behind the Battle Discussion

tunnelvision

Jul 31, 2021

Not sure if:
A) anyone knew this was happening or posted about it
and
B) Where to post it.

So if this is a double post or posted in the wrong spot. My bad

Jackets draft table at 16:32 as Anaheim announces their pick... I notice three stone faces and Flynn.

I got the feeling Siren and Jarmo really like Brindley. Urback thinking Strathmann has top-4 D potential was kind of interesting.

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
Great BtB.. so well produced.

The look on Flynn’s face when ANA took Leo Carlsson:

IMG_3346.png

Indy18

Aug 17, 2023
Jackets draft table at 16:32 as Anaheim announces their pick... I notice three stone faces and Flynn.
I just know now never take Flynn to a poker game. He wouldn't have that smirk on his face if they were all hoping for Leo and he just got snagged. The other 3 had stone faces the entire time anyways

Reactions: CBJx614

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009

Not sure if:
A) anyone knew this was happening or posted about it
and
B) Where to post it.

So if this is a double post or posted in the wrong spot. My bad

Just got done watching, solid as always.

Interesting note: Hedger said at the time he had heard Jarmo had to be "talked into" taking Fantilli over Smith after Carlsson went 2. It certainly doesn't appear that way. Timmons even says "Look, it worked out!" when Fantilli got his jersey, which seems to confirm that Fantilli privately told the CBJ he would rather be here.

Also interesting: Jarmo did talk to Anaheim about flipping picks, but Anaheim wouldn't do it unless Jarmo told him who we were after. I assume, obviously, Jarmo did not budge. Which is a good thing, because if we were going to flip with Anaheim we would have lost an asset or two when getting the guy we would have got at 3. Good job not blinking by Jarmo.

Not surprising they didn't dive into the coaching stuff, I assume that kinda stuff will never see the light of day. It might be brushed on in a future episode (just showing Babcock here, then gone, then Vincent).

squashmaple

gudbranson apologist
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2022
Columbus
What I found concerning about this is that all their teasing videos leading up to it on social media had a default thumbnail of Larsen.

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
Just got done watching, solid as always.

Interesting note: Hedger said at the time he had heard Jarmo had to be "talked into" taking Fantilli over Smith after Carlsson went 2. It certainly doesn't appear that way. Timmons even says "Look, it worked out!" when Fantilli got his jersey, which seems to confirm that Fantilli privately told the CBJ he would rather be here.

Also interesting: Jarmo did talk to Anaheim about flipping picks, but Anaheim wouldn't do it unless Jarmo told him who we were after. I assume, obviously, Jarmo did not budge. Which is a good thing, because if we were going to flip with Anaheim we would have lost an asset or two when getting the guy we would have got at 3. Good job not blinking by Jarmo.

Not surprising they didn't dive into the coaching stuff, I assume that kinda stuff will never see the light of day. It might be brushed on in a future episode (just showing Babcock here, then gone, then Vincent).

You can basically assume whatever Hedger says is false. Works out more times than not.

ThirdPeriodTurtle

Jul 13, 2022
Finland
My takeaways:

* Great episode again, I think BtB is among the best in the NHL (haven't seen all teams' behind the scenes stuff but I've seen a few, and BtB does not pale in comparison)
* Provorov made a good impression, happy to see that
* Automatic subtitles gave the best name for Jarmo Kekäläinen: Germo kick a line
* I love the bit by JD that Fantilli is waiting to give Brindley a big hug, and the smiles at the table knowing they have a good chance of getting Brindley to CBJ (so kind of a proof that the human connection is not lost at the top level either)
* I wanna talk with Severson about media pictures and editing lol

What I found concerning about this is that all their teasing videos leading up to it on social media had a default thumbnail of Larsen.
Concerning... how? That they're gonna bring Larsen back? :D A bit sloppy to not use a more appropriate custom thumbnail though.

Reactions: Viqsi

MissADD

Jun 21, 2018
Silvermoon City
Yes, concerning because it's sloppy. Why would you let a thumbnail happen that shows a coach you fired?
I mean Larsen was the intro. Depending on the format used it may not have let them pick the thumbnail for the teaser, YT Shorts doesn't let you pick you own thumbnail.

squashmaple

gudbranson apologist
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2022
Columbus
I mean Larsen was the intro. Depending on the format used it may not have let them pick the thumbnail for the teaser, YT Shorts doesn't let you pick you own thumbnail.
Then that's worse! I get that Larsen is the first shot of the video. But if you know that the first shot will automatically be the thumbnail, it's just sloppy to let that be a still of a coach who was fired.

cbjthrowaway

Jul 4, 2020
the scouting meeting chatter fascinates me. they usually show blurbs that (as far as i can tell) are about guys they didn't draft. my own biases are definitely at play here (i was and still am a big will smith guy) but here is who i think they were talking about for some of those blurbs:
  • "his skill and hockey sense are off the charts" from a USA amateur scout
    • probably talking about will smith
  • "offensively he's really dangerous" from …
    • hard to narrow down without knowing his region
  • "he's got everything you guys dream about" from another USA amateur scout
    • ryan leonard, maybe?
  • "he can really skate" - OHL scout
    • maybe colby barlow or beau akey? they met with both at the draft
  • "I would see him as a good role player" - WHL scout
    • don't hear a lot of defensemen referred to as role players so this could be benson, danielson or cristall
  • "you love to play with him as a forward because you know the puck's going to be on your stick and away you go quick" - timmins
    • sounds like he's talking about a defenseman who is good at getting the puck up to forwards on the rush. could be gulyayev, sandin-pellikka or molendyk?
  • "only guy i've seen in 28 years that i've been in this that makes plays like crosby" - jarmo
    • i'd put money on this one being about will smith
  • "he's a good leader and has good character and is unselfish and driven" - USA scout
    • if it's not fantilli i bet it's moore or leonard
  • "i think he has a little bit of bite in him, a little bit of f-you in his game too" - dorsett
    • i'm thinking moore or dvorsky here
  • "i don't care what league you play in – if you can score, you can score" - USA scout
    • will smith or bradly nadeau
  • "one of those guys that's fun to watch – we're scouts, this is our job, but you get excited to watch this kid make plays"
    • will smith
  • "if it wasn't for the skating, he would be a top-10 pick i think, maybe even top-five" - analytics guy
    • matthew wood
  • "this guy couldn't deal with the pressure" - ville siren
    • eduard sale, maybe?
  • "when you're watching the game, he doesn't pop" - USA scout
    • stramel or halttunen
  • "guys like this are really long shots to make the NHL" - analytics guy
    • stramel or yager
  • "…but the skating worries me" - siren
    • carlsson, wood or cristall
  • "how do you teach hockey sense"- usa scout
    • will smith again i think
  • "i know we probably won't draft him but i think we ought to give him more respect"
    • gonna go out on a limb and say this one is probably leo carlsson – i think he was 4 on their board
again, my own biases are definitely at play here but i think their board was bedard-fantilli-smith, with fantilli and smith very closely separated, then a big gap before carlsson. at the end they joke with jarmo that his job is to go get "three picks at the top" which would indicate that the top three were in their own tier.

i am also convinced that hockey fans (and even bloggers/online analysts) have a completely different definition of what 'compete level' is than actual front office folks do. william whitelaw was labeled as a soft prospect but the jackets scouting meeting footage was them talking about how hard he competes.

Reactions: ThirdPeriodTurtle

ThirdPeriodTurtle

Jul 13, 2022
Finland
Yeah I'm sure some of the other folks here could attribute those to different people. I thought the 28 years was about Bedard (but I admit I don't really know much about Crosby, never followed him closely so not sure how he compares to Bedard and Smith...). "How do you teach hockey sense" felt like a negative to me.

cbjthrowaway

Jul 4, 2020
Yeah I'm sure some of the other folks here could attribute those to different people. I thought the 28 years was about Bedard (but I admit I don't really know much about Crosby, never followed him closely so not sure how he compares to Bedard and Smith...).
bedard is the closest thing to crosby in the draft.

the comment itself, to me, was about playmaking specifically. will smith's vision + passing ability + o-zone hockey IQ were special relative to the rest of the class, which is why i think that was who jarmo was talking about there.

but jarmo didn't say 'playmaking' he said 'makes plays' – so it's up to interpretation. if he simply meant "makes things happen" then it's definitely about bedard, but if he was talking about 'playmaking' as like, a player archetype, i think it was smith.

"How do you teach hockey sense" felt like a negative to me.
yeah that one could've gone either way – either as a "this guy has something we cannot teach" thing or a "we should stay away from this guy because we can't teach him how to improve this" kind of thing.

Aaaarrgghh

Jul 17, 2022
bedard is the closest thing to crosby in the draft.

the comment itself, to me, was about playmaking specifically. will smith's vision + passing ability + o-zone hockey IQ were special relative to the rest of the class, which is why i think that was who jarmo was talking about there.

but jarmo didn't say 'playmaking' he said 'makes plays' – so it's up to interpretation. if he simply meant "makes things happen" then it's definitely about bedard, but if he was talking about 'playmaking' as like, a player archetype, i think it was smith.
Yeah, I'd say that quote about Crosby-like plays was about Bedard.

Anyway, I'd contest that Smith's hockey IQ was seen as special relative to the entire draft class. As I recall, Carlsson was the one whose hockey IQ was talked about the most. But when USA scouts are talking about someone with great hockey sense, yes, then it would probably be about Smith (or possibly Fantilli).

Reactions: thebus88

Aaaarrgghh

Jul 17, 2022
These are always interesting. It's clear that they rated Fantilli quite a bit above both Carlsson and Smith, because they seemed very relieved when Anaheim chose Carlsson. Clearly things worked out for the best, as far as they are concerned. Very nice to see both Fantilli and Columbus being happy with how things turned out.

GoJackets1

Someday.
Aug 21, 2008
Montana
I could see the Crosby comment being about Will Smith. I don't think it's about Bedard, but could be wrong. Ironically though, when I first heard that quote, I thought they were talking about Carlsson.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Honestly I don’t think it’s about Bedard either because they said going into the meeting they already know who’s going first, so I could see them not even bothering to talk about him other than for a few minutes.

Aaaarrgghh

Jul 17, 2022
Honestly I don’t think it’s about Bedard either because they said going into the meeting they already know who’s going first, so I could see them not even bothering to talk about him other than for a few minutes.
Good point, but I must point out that the quote in question could well have been part of a discussion that lasted for only a few minutes. ;)

Reactions: CBJWerenski8

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad