Beer League Frustrations Vent Thread III

leftwinger37

Jun 7, 2011
"Great Lakes State"
because it encourages players to continually cherry pick or take advantage of line changes after a frozen puck and the game turns into a skills competition that sucks for everyone wanting to play something that resembles an actual game

Nobody should care about the score at a drop-in skate, so if they get a cheap one, they get a cheap one.

I agree that I don't want to encourage that type of behavior either, but when the clock is running, I also don't want to encourage extended celebrations, guys taking their sweet time to change during a stoppage, or anything that is going to slow down the game in general.

Fixed to Ruin

Come wit it now!
Feb 28, 2007
Grande Prairie, AB
because it encourages players to continually cherry pick or take advantage of line changes after a frozen puck and the game turns into a skills competition that sucks for everyone wanting to play something that resembles an actual game

This.

As a goalie, when I play pick-up i don't expect anyone to play a 2-1 properly or lay down and block a shot but I expect the bare minimum of defensive effort to be given so everyone has a good time.

If the other team goes on a breakaway somebody better be busting their ass to get down and help me. Frustrating when you are making save number 5 on the same guy because buddy didn't bother to skate down the ice and help out.

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
Played a bunch of guys on the B-side of a men's league last night that were swinging their sticks like lumberjacks to "prove a point" since the refs didn't call slashes on us according to them. They were so bad to the point where I deked between two guys and the one guy literally didn't try to go for me or the puck but instead swung his stick with two hands right into my shins.

One guy two-handed the biggest guy on our team after the whistle and broke his stick leading to a fight.

Was definitely a ridiculous showing, luckily the refs got it right in calling a bunch of penalties on them throughout it.

winnipegger

Dec 17, 2013
I go to a few drop in places, but had to stop going to one because I just couldn't take it anymore. 50 - 60 year old guys that CAN'T play with their head up and CAN'T skate well so they are a DANGER to everyone on the ice. It's like a train off the tracks and you have no idea if he sees you coming or not it's just get the **** out of the way or he's running over you.

Not only are they dangerous to play with, they are also terrible at hockey and out of shape. I would work my ass off to make a play and watch them, apparently completely bereft of hand eye co-ordination, swat at the puck as it slides smoothly past them and to the other team. Like, man I just gave you a perfect pass, you've been playing hockey for 30 years, and you still have ZERO puck skills. I get back to the bench and I'm sitting next to the guy, and he is gasping for air like he is on his death bed. Meanwhile, I saw him out there barely moving on his shift. He avoids physical exertion in every facet of life but yet likes to drag his ass to hockey once a week to nearly die of a heart attack. I know it's not their fault that they are old and terrible, and I wouldn't say these things to their face because I like them personally, just yeah...ranting...

STC

Oct 29, 2012
I go to a few drop in places, but had to stop going to one because I just couldn't take it anymore. 50 - 60 year old guys that CAN'T play with their head up and CAN'T skate well so they are a DANGER to everyone on the ice. It's like a train off the tracks and you have no idea if he sees you coming or not it's just get the **** out of the way or he's running over you.

Not only are they dangerous to play with, they are also terrible at hockey and out of shape. I would work my ass off to make a play and watch them, apparently completely bereft of hand eye co-ordination, swat at the puck as it slides smoothly past them and to the other team. Like, man I just gave you a perfect pass, you've been playing hockey for 30 years, and you still have ZERO puck skills. I get back to the bench and I'm sitting next to the guy, and he is gasping for air like he is on his death bed. Meanwhile, I saw him out there barely moving on his shift. He avoids physical exertion in every facet of life but yet likes to drag his ass to hockey once a week to nearly die of a heart attack. I know it's not their fault that they are old and terrible, and I wouldn't say these things to their face because I like them personally, just yeah...ranting...

50-60 year olds who can barely play are literally the least dangerous people you'll encounter on the ice. They can barely move, anyone skating with their head up can easily avoid them.

Fremitus Borealis

Flügelstürmer
Feb 4, 2007
The Slot
It's a good problem to have, I suppose, but this season it really seems like with my team, the "better" players are having trouble scoring at the normal rate, and the, um... "less-better" players are getting really lucky with just throwing the puck at the net. I'm happy for those guys that they're starting to get points and contribute on the score sheet, but it is really ****ing frustrating when my linemates and I are picking corners and whatnot "like you're supposed to", but hitting posts or getting robbed by the goalies somehow... maybe I'll just start closing my eyes when I take a shot from now on :laugh:

pz29

Jun 18, 2015
Low-level beer league playoff game. Everyone wants to be a hero and score in bunches. No one passes, no one back-checks, no one is in position. Playing shorthanded, the two forwards are in the neutral zone waiting for a breakaway pass while the two defenders work their butts off trying to clear the puck. We lose the game 5:2.Full disclosure: playing D, I totally lost my guy to allow him to score the 5th goal.

Last edited:

beakerboy

Sep 23, 2009
Wisconsin
Hey if you don't know where it's going, neither will the goalie ;)
It's funny because it is true.

I've been playing goal for all of half a year now, and I find it way easier to play against better players than the worse ones. When I know I'm playing against good players I can anticipate where they're going and where they're shooting by reading their eyes and positioning a bit, or just learning the guys tendencies. I usually have no clue where some of the less skilled guys are going.

goalie29

Oct 17, 2010
Canada

I've been playing goal for all of half a year now, and I find it way easier to play against better players than the worse ones. When I know I'm playing against good players I can anticipate where they're going and where they're shooting by reading their eyes and positioning a bit, or just learning the guys tendencies. I usually have no clue where some of the less skilled guys are going.
Yep.

A couple of years ago I had three ice times a week - co-ed pickup where a lot of them had played in various HL's many years ago, women's middle division rec league, and a women's mostly-beginner work league. I couldn't take the work league after a couple of seasons, it was too frustrating. The guys at pickup undressed me on a regular basis, but at least I knew where I should have been if I'd been faster. lol And the rec league we had decent defence as well as decent shooters. Much more fun in the last two. I skate out in the work league now.

puckpilot

Oct 23, 2016

I played on a team with an ex-junior goalie. After getting scored on he skated by the bench, all pissed, and said, "Lucky piece of Sh@. Aims top corner, F@cks up the shot and it goes fivehole. He couldn't do that again in thousand years."

leftwinger37

Jun 7, 2011
"Great Lakes State"
The goalie on Sunday had my number...my area code, my address, my social security, my height, my weight, my BMI, my platelet count...

I LOL'd at this because I've felt the same way the last couple of weeks. I'm not primarily a scorer, so I am still able to be a big contributor in other ways, but I just can't seem to finish lately. On Sunday the goalie seemed to always have an outstretched arm, leg, paddle, finger, etc. That's just how it goes sometimes I guess...

Fremitus Borealis

Flügelstürmer
Feb 4, 2007
The Slot
The refs. OH MY GOD, THE REFS.

In tonight's game, when I had the puck in the defensive zone (so, theoretically, the ref was looking right at me), an opposing player straight up stomped on my foot as I was skating the puck out of the zone. My blade planted in the ice, and my body went the other way. May or may not have pulled a hamstring. I was doubled over on the ice for probably 20 seconds because it hurt so much that I could barely move. No whistle.

I eventually am able to make it to the bench, throw my stick down in disgust, and take off my helmet so I can breathe a little better, and the mother****ing zebra comes over and starts giving me **** about taking my helmet off. So I gave him **** about paying attention to the game (which he gets paid to do), and how it is making it dangerous for all of us (another guy on my team got slashed really hard in the forearm, another got straight up punched in the head from behind). Mind you, we have a non-skater on the bench with no helmet, not to mention the scorekeeper is also on our bench because this rink sucks and there's not a separate spot for the guy. But that's fine, apparently.

I swear to christ, these hacks only read like five lines in the whole rulebook and leave it at that, since not many people want to ref in the first place, so the league doesn't want to scare them away.

Meanwhile, I am seriously hoping I don't have a hamstring tear, for obvious reasons. Also, really considering looking for a different league that takes player safety more seriously.

theMajor

Feb 9, 2012
Socal
went from playing at a somewhat rough rink where the refs let us play to a rink in a gentrified area where the refs are literally making up penalties on the fly and holding grudges against certain players/teams. I dont think theres anything more frustrating than ******/immature refs

WolfgangPuck

May 12, 2012
Playing some 3-3 and D-man carries the puck along the blue line in the offensive zone and I getting open but doesn't release the puck until he's force too and by that time I covered and I have twist my body and able to deflect the puck for a score
Skating back to the bench smiles at me and say nice play.
Felt like saying could have be better play if you pass the puck earlier to me

Aurilius

Nov 12, 2015
Hostage in Canada's Basement
Had one like that last week, center waited till I was almost on top of the goalie to shoot the puck and miss the net on my side, managed to deflect the puck in with my trailing foots laces. I was wide open on a 2 on 1.

Frustrating game last night. Outshot the other team around 30 to 10. Lost 3-2. I'm the worst player on that team but managed to go +2 and screened our 2nd goal, should have won that one.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Last night I had a good problem to have.

Our team was getting new jerseys and the guy that was overseeing it (he works at the company that was making them) had been AWOL in December.

We had our first game of the 2nd half of the season, he was there, and he had our jerseys.

There were two problems with mine: it was a L and I wanted an XL because I like a loose jersey and they misspelled my name.

The good news is that he is going to get me a new one and hopefully he remembers to have it be an XL.

They look pretty crazy as they are mainly green and black with some white, orange numbers, and portions of it are a black and green digi camo.

We should never have issues knowing who is who out there.

:laugh:

Em etah Eh

Maroon PP
Jul 17, 2007
Centers that never try to win a face off back to the D. Yeah, Let's keep pushing it forward and give the other team possession because the 1/100 times that it may work it could give a scoring opportunity...

puckpilot

Oct 23, 2016
Centers that never try to win a face off back to the D. Yeah, Let's keep pushing it forward and give the other team possession because the 1/100 times that it may work it could give a scoring opportunity...

Hahahhaha. I see this all the time. I know some teams/players may not have a choice, but should someone really be playing center if they can't/won't try to win a face off properly?

Fremitus Borealis

Flügelstürmer
Feb 4, 2007
The Slot

My god do I ever hate that. Hell, even winning it to the wings doesn't usually do much; usually 50/50 it'll get near us quick enough to do something with it.

Cursed Lemon

Registered Bruiser
Nov 10, 2011
Dey-Twah, MI

I have the opposite problem. I'm probably 75% ish on my faceoffs, but it always goes five miles down the ice past my defenseman.

STC

Oct 29, 2012
Refs that call the game a tie after a 3v3 shootout. I know its late, but would it really kill you to keep going another couple minutes till we have a winner? That happened last night in one of my leagues.

Glove Malfunction

Ference is my binky
Jan 1, 2009
Pleasantly warm, AZ
The refs. OH MY GOD, THE REFS.

In tonight's game, when I had the puck in the defensive zone (so, theoretically, the ref was looking right at me), an opposing player straight up stomped on my foot as I was skating the puck out of the zone. My blade planted in the ice, and my body went the other way. May or may not have pulled a hamstring. I was doubled over on the ice for probably 20 seconds because it hurt so much that I could barely move. No whistle.

I eventually am able to make it to the bench, throw my stick down in disgust, and take off my helmet so I can breathe a little better, and the mother****ing zebra comes over and starts giving me **** about taking my helmet off. So I gave him **** about paying attention to the game (which he gets paid to do), and how it is making it dangerous for all of us (another guy on my team got slashed really hard in the forearm, another got straight up punched in the head from behind). Mind you, we have a non-skater on the bench with no helmet, not to mention the scorekeeper is also on our bench because this rink sucks and there's not a separate spot for the guy. But that's fine, apparently.

I swear to christ, these hacks only read like five lines in the whole rulebook and leave it at that, since not many people want to ref in the first place, so the league doesn't want to scare them away.

Meanwhile, I am seriously hoping I don't have a hamstring tear, for obvious reasons. Also, really considering looking for a different league that takes player safety more seriously.

The refs not calling obvious stuff and letting dangerous plays happen is the reason I stopped playing in my men's league.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad