GDT: Bedard vs Ovechkin. 7pm. Capital One Center

Kalopsia

Jun 25, 2018
Yeah, I would describe CMM as having great hands, but no scoring touch. Two very different things.
Agreed. Never seen a guy like him before who can score - as long as it’s not a grade A chance. It’s like the better the scoring opportunity the lower the likelihood he’ll score.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
1710038114291.gif

My game puck goes to Charlie Lindgren for saving 2+ goals above expected.

Honorable mentions to oh whoops gotta go play FF7: Rebirth

IafrateOvie34

May 14, 2009
Sweet! We don't have to hear about Bedard anymore this year. Wilson would get my top star, but Lindgren gets the edge.

notDkristich

Jan 27, 2013
His shooting percentage is less than half his career average. Math says he’s going to get hot soon, and this next road trip would be ideal
his problem is aiming small. aim small miss big

seems like he's always shooting for 7 or 6 hole. just hit the net big guy

DWGie26

Sponsor
Oct 6, 2019
NOVA
Didn’t get to watch this game because i was in Pitt for Zach Bryan concert. But love seeing the youth continuing to progress.

i think for CMM, the game still hasn’t slowed down enough. Everyone develops on a different schedule. Last year his skating just wasn’t there, nor was his compete. this year he looks much faster and confident but still making rooking mistakes (like passing back into the defensive slot). There is still room for growth and I do think he’ll grow into a solid 3C with upside.

With Lapierre, he has really picked up this year. Hitting his stride quicker than CMM. This isn’t surprising as he was always a higher rated prospect who fell due to his “neck” issues. He is not a 1C on a cup team, but he can be a 2C. And he is a 1C on a developing team.

Reactions: ClevelandCapsfan

bacchist

lumpy, lumpy head
Feb 7, 2013
With Lapierre, he has really picked up this year. Hitting his stride quicker than CMM. This isn’t surprising as he was always a higher rated prospect who fell due to his “neck” issues. He is not a 1C on a cup team, but he can be a 2C. And he is a 1C on a developing team.
He has shown signs of improvement, but I want to see more consistency. 14 points in 31 games is not bad, but they've come in bunches.

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
He has shown signs of improvement, but I want to see more consistency. 14 points in 31 games is not bad, but they've come in bunches.

Games with TOI under 10 minutes:
15GP - 1 + 3 = 4

Games with TOI above 10 minutes:
16GP - 6 + 4 = 10

His points come in bunches but he does get rewarded more when he's scoring. They are easing him in which is a good plan. But it's very hard to score in this league playing below 10 minutes, so you really got to be prepared for the growing pains too. If you check his scoring numbers per 60 minutes he's actually top-10 in the entire NHL so the potential is certainly there.

Reactions: bacchist

bacchist

lumpy, lumpy head
Feb 7, 2013
Games with TOI under 10 minutes:
15GP - 1 + 3 = 4

Games with TOI above 10 minutes:
16GP - 6 + 4 = 10

His points come in bunches but he does get rewarded more when he's scoring. They are easing him in which is a good plan. But it's very hard to score in this league playing below 10 minutes, so you really got to be prepared for the growing pains too. If you check his scoring numbers per 60 minutes he's actually top-10 in the entire NHL so the potential is certainly there.
He's definitely earned his chances, and he should get plenty down the stretch here. I'd love to see him emerge as a leader during this playoff push, whether we make the playoffs or fall short. He's a big part of this franchise's future.

DWGie26

Sponsor
Oct 6, 2019
NOVA
He's definitely earned his chances, and he should get plenty down the stretch here. I'd love to see him emerge as a leader during this playoff push, whether we make the playoffs or fall short. He's a big part of this franchise's future.
Lapierre is 22. McMichael and Protas are both 23. We don’t need them to be leaders when we have Wilson, OV, JC74, Oshie, and Patches. Their time to be leaders will come.

to your earlier point, all three need to work on their consistency and the details and two-way play with fewer mistakes. For CMM that also includes finishing. Just play your role and continue to develop.

Reactions: CapitalsCupReality

bacchist

lumpy, lumpy head
Feb 7, 2013
Lapierre is 22. McMichael and Protas are both 23. We don’t need them to be leaders when we have Wilson, OV, JC74, Oshie, and Patches. Their time to be leaders will come.
Probably not the best word choice there. If he takes a measurable step forward, hecould be one of the most productive players on the team. In a sense that's a leader. But no, obviously the real leaders of the team will are the ones with their names on the cup.

Holtbyisms

Matt Irwin is a legit talent
Jul 1, 2012
Bedford, PA
This is why I have little tolerance for people who unironically want us to tank. It's one thing to joke, but being a gutter team year after year is ugly.
Maybe, but we're not the team we've been for the last decade+ without two top 5 picks named Ovechkin and Backstrom. We tanked pretty hard to get them. It's difficult to build a long term winner without homegrown top of the draft guys in your lineup.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Maybe, but we're not the team we've been for the last decade+ without two top 5 picks named Ovechkin and Backstrom. We tanked pretty hard to get them. It's difficult to build a long term winner without homegrown top of the draft guys in your lineup.
We tanked to get one guy….we just still were recovering from the tank and also got lucky enough to get Backstrom.

Holtbyisms

Matt Irwin is a legit talent
Jul 1, 2012
Bedford, PA
We tanked to get one guy….we just still were recovering from the tank and also got lucky enough to get Backstrom.
Point still stands, call those seasons whatever you want. We're not a cup contender for a decade without two top 5 picks in Ovi and Backstrom. Chicago wasn't Chicago without Kane and Towes. Pittsburgh wasn't Pittsburgh without Crosby and Malkin. It's just the way you build a dynasty unless you want to be mid forever.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad