Beck Vs Kidney

Which prospect would you be more hesitant on the Habs giving up in a potential trade?

• Owen Beck

Votes: 166 93.3%
  • Riley Kidney

Votes: 12 6.7%

• Total voters

VirginiaMtlExpat

Second most interesting man in the world.
Aug 20, 2003
Norfolk, VA
www.odu.edu
The way I see the question could be different than someone else. I would be really hesitant tontrade Kidney. The guy is just killing it since 3 years in the Q. He is 6ft, 175 lbs. maybe not the fastest. But he has the stats to become a good player in the NHL. Beck has the safest floor. Middle 6 at minimum. However,I think Kidney has a higher roof offensively.
Then, you ask me wich player would you keep between those. This is Beck, but really hesitant to trade Kidney about his offensive roof.
Because of that, it's not as absurd a comparison as the skewed numbers suggest. Picture a Kidney who commits to the weight room and packs another 15-20 pounds, which is conceivable. He may never have Beck's faceoff ability, but he is intriguing based on offensive skill.

Reactions: AlexGretzchenvid

Hins77

Apr 2, 2013
Because of that, it's not as absurd a comparison as the skewed numbers suggest. Picture a Kidney who commits to the weight room and packs another 15-20 pounds, which is conceivable. He may never have Beck's faceoff ability, but he is intriguing based on offensive skill.
Totally, we could trade Kidney now and in ten years look back the trade and saying that wasnt really intelligent to trade a guy wich put 100 pts in the Q 2 years arrow. Kidney pedigree looks like more future NHler than ahler….

• Wow

ryan callahan

Jan 25, 2014
Québec,Canada
This is so wrong lmao. Why make Kidney buffer and slower when his game is all about speed, IQ and shiftiness. We have great offensive prospects and you want to turn them into Travis Moen. Makes 0 sense.

VirginiaMtlExpat

Aug 20, 2003
Norfolk, VA
www.odu.edu
This is so wrong lmao. Why make Kidney buffer and slower when his game is all about speed, IQ and shiftiness. We have great offensive prospects and you want to turn them into Travis Moen. Makes 0 sense.
Um, I didn't mention where the weight would be distributed. What if 19 pounds go into the legs and 1 into his torso: does he necessarily get slower? Of course, that's an exaggeration, but players routinely put on weight as they mature into NHL players. If he is stronger at fighting through checks, and the bulk of his weight is in his lower body, how is that Moen-like? Marner went from 160 to 183 from the draft to now; packing 23 pounds. How Moen-like is he? Do the extra pounds result in neuronal attrition, sapping him of his IQ?

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Depending on how the draft goes, Kidney might not even make our top10 prospects while Beck might still be top5.

VirginiaMtlExpat

Aug 20, 2003
Norfolk, VA
www.odu.edu
Depending on how the draft goes, Kidney might not even make our top10 prospects while Beck might still be top5.
This list is not static, and it would be biased by Kidney's current physical characteristics, whereas Beck plays a "200-foot game", or rather an 180-foot game, since he is not as proficient as Kidney near the opposing goal. I like Beck better, but not as lopsidedly as the vote is going.

ryan callahan

Jan 25, 2014
Québec,Canada
Um, I didn't mention where the weight would be distributed. What if 19 pounds go into the legs and 1 into his torso: does he necessarily get slower? Of course, that's an exaggeration, but players routinely put on weight as they mature into NHL players. If he is stronger at fighting through checks, and the bulk of his weight is in his lower body, how is that Moen-like? Marner went from 160 to 183 from the draft to now; packing 23 pounds. How Moen-like is he? Do the extra pounds result in neuronal attrition, sapping him of his IQ?
You do realize adding weight in legs can also detrimental to speed and that by all accounts studies have proven that regardless of the training regimen you have very little agency in the way your body allocates resources (fats, collagen, etc.) in the legs, abdomen, shoulders, etc. The way this poll is going is embarassing. People in MTL have been clamoring for high end skill for decades and would rather keep a guy that struggled to be the 4th best offensive option on his team than a dude who completely demolished the CHL in his sleep.

VirginiaMtlExpat

Aug 20, 2003
Norfolk, VA
www.odu.edu
You do realize adding weight in legs can also detrimental to speed and that by all accounts studies have proven that regardless of the training regimen you have very little agency in the way your body allocates resources (fats, collagen, etc.) in the legs, abdomen, shoulders, etc. The way this poll is going is embarassing. People in MTL have been clamoring for high end skill and would rather keep a guy that struggled to be the 4th best offensive option on his team than a dude who completely demolishes the CHL in his sleep.
Ryan, I'm a biomedical engineering professor; I _teach_ biomechanics, among other things, and I review and submit proposals with NIH (some of mine get funded). I just gave you a world-class 23-pound counterexample to your hypothesis; I could have dug up hundreds of such players over the years whose performance didn't suffer. Do you really expect to sway me with your "studies"? Find me a paper on Pubmed, then maybe we'll talk.

I don't like to pull rank in this community, but I'll make an exception for you. The derision in your original post earned you that special treatment.

Meanwhile, we are in Mark Twain territory, so I'll let you have the last word.

Last edited:
  • Haha

ryan callahan

Jan 25, 2014
Québec,Canada
Ryan, I'm a biomedical engineering professor; I _teach_ biomechanics, among other things, and I review and review proposals with NIH. I just gave you a world-class 23-pound counterexample to your hypothesis; I could have dug up hundreds of such players over the years whose performance didn't suffer. Do you really expect to sway me with your "studies"? Find me a paper on Pubmed, then maybe we'll talk.

I don't like to pull rank in this community, but I'll make an exception for you.
How do you prove that Marner's performance is not hindered by gaining this so-called weight? NHLers also lose a very large amount of weight during the hockey season. Would not be surprised if Marner ends the year in the 160s. If that. You prove nothing with your posts. The truth is : Players like Beck rarely become better than 3Cs and often end up out of the league in a few years whereas players who produce like Kidney have a very high success rate at becoming top 6 players.

• Wow

Paddyjack

Dec 10, 2007
Sherbrooke
Totally, we could trade Kidney now and in ten years look back the trade and saying that wasnt really intelligent to trade a guy wich put 100 pts in the Q 2 years arrow. Kidney pedigree looks like more future NHler than ahler….
Doing 100 pts in the Q does not translate into an NHLer. Kidney seems to me 100% offense so if he can't translate that, he is finished because he doesn't bring anything else. Look at Roy, personally I still don't believe he will make it after seeing play several times in Sherbrooke. The only reason I still give Roy a slim chance is because I could see in the WJ tournament last season that he has a good 2-way play abilities, which gives him an edge to go further up.

Kobe Armstrong

Jul 26, 2011
Mysak I get but why the other four? All of them have shown loads of potential and that they have a shot of at-least being decent NHL players. Obviously they all won’t pan out but to write them all off seems bizarre.
Basically as a fan I just won't spend my time tracking their development and getting in flame wars with other fans about their potential lol

All of them could crack the NHL, but I don't envision any of them having long contributing careers with the Habs, so I'm setting myself up to be pleasantly surprised rather than seriously disappointed.

If I was getting paid to evaluate talent I could use a bit more scrutiny, but if another team comes calling offering a 2nd round pick or equivalent prospect that fills a need, I won't be upset to see them go

Hins77

Apr 2, 2013
Doing 100 pts in the Q does not translate into an NHLer. Kidney seems to me 100% offense so if he can't translate that, he is finished because he doesn't bring anything else. Look at Roy, personally I still don't believe he will make it after seeing play several times in Sherbrooke. The only reason I still give Roy a slim chance is because I could see in the WJ tournament last season that he has a good 2-way play abilities, which gives him an edge to go further up.
To be PPg at draft year in the Q and putting 100 pts and + the 2 following years is something difficult. There is bust sure, but, in my book. Your are closer from nhler than an ahler.

Team_Spirit

95% Elliotte
Jul 3, 2002
Voted Kidney because I checked the results and felt bad for the kid.

riley-kidney-1400x800.jpg

Here we go red here we go ~~

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
Kidney skates circles around Beck. Kidney's game isn't tailored around cherry-picking and going around defensemans, but he can really turn on the jets when needed.

Kidney can't skate anywhere near as well as Beck.....it is not remotely close. It is the biggest separating factor between the two, Beck is an outstanding skater and Kidney is a below average skater...these are just simple facts that everyone but you seems to be able to recognize.

I am not going to continue this discussion as I have made the mistake of going down your wormholes before.

Last edited:
Reactions: Vachon23

ryan callahan

Jan 25, 2014
Québec,Canada
LMAO.....Kidney can't skate anywhere near as well as Beck.....it is not remotely close. It is the biggest separating factor between the two, Beck is an outstanding skater and Kidney is a below average skater...these are just simple facts that everyone but you seems to be able to recognize.

I am not going to continue this discussion as I have made the mistake of going down your wormholes before.
When all you can do is ad hominem and not watch Q games it's not surprising you have this mentality. Beck is a mid skater. If he was a good one he'd be putting up better numbers. Stop spouting crap.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
When all you can do is ad hominem and not watch Q games it's not surprising you have this mentality. Beck is a mid skater. If he was a good one he'd be putting up better numbers. Stop spouting crap.

Your opinion has zero creibility if you think Beck is a "mid" skater. Back to the IL you go

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
I really don’t understand how you can say that you watch Q games and say that Kidney is a good skater in all due respect.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad