Movies: Beauty and the Beast (2017)

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
It does look quite good to be honest. Didn't have even a little desire to see the Cinderalla remake but I do want to see this one

USC Trojans

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
May 17, 2002
LA Oiler fan
There are reports that Emma Watson is pissed at her agent for not pursuing La La Land in favor of Beauty and the Beast, but I think this could be a game changer for her as well.

In the end, Stone was perfect for La La Land, and I think Watson will be perfect as Belle.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Not to digress, but I seriously cannot for the life of me understand how the hell that movie became the highest grossing ever. So much mediocrity that movie, not a single memorable line or scene.

I still remember a few scenes but yeah I agree. Mediocre movie. However it was hyped for years as being a groundbreaking CG masterpiece so I guess it makes sense why it happened. I just don't understand why people kept going back to see it.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
There are reports that Emma Watson is pissed at her agent for not pursuing La La Land in favor of Beauty and the Beast, but I think this could be a game changer for her as well.

In the end, Stone was perfect for La La Land, and I think Watson will be perfect as Belle.

Watson is gonna be fine. It's not like if she got the role she'd be guaranteed to be as good as Stone was.

Kamal007

FEEL LIKE PABLO
Jul 2, 2009
Toronto

I don't even know if Watson would have really worked out for La La Land, does she really have the comedic chops for it? I feel like Emma Stone is perfect for the role, as she is a much better comedic actor (and overall actor).

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Watson should continue to build her self on family entertainment

Look at Tim Allen ,, His career took off with family entertainment roles and has continued strongly for last 20 years ago

Many actors would kill to maintain as successful a career as people like Allen

Soliloquy of a Dogge

I love you, Boots
Aug 8, 2012
San Diego, CA
These live action remakes of Disney classics are being pulled off far better than my wildest expectations could've ever dreamt up.

Was very apprehensive about Jungle Book being done and that was executed flawlessly. Grossing a billion dollars and being universally critically acclaimed didn't hurt either. Now they look to have done the same with Beauty and the Beast.

No doubt that future live action remakes of their classics are coming now and I'll be first in line to see them. Doubt this would've been the case if these two (Maleficent and Cinderella before them obviously, which I'm guessing were more of a trial run) hadn't been fulled off so well, though.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
I wonder how this movie would be received if it was an original idea. As in, if the animated movie and the fairy tale before it were never made.

I think this will be a good barometer on how this live-action Lion King will play out. But also like... there are no humans in The Lion King... so what the ****.

Soliloquy of a Dogge

I love you, Boots
Aug 8, 2012
San Diego, CA
I still remember a few scenes but yeah I agree. Mediocre movie. However it was hyped for years as being a groundbreaking CG masterpiece so I guess it makes sense why it happened. I just don't understand why people kept going back to see it.

You could say the same thing about most films, in my opinion. I know people that saw The Force Awakens 10+ times in theaters which, to me, is absolute insanity as its script is pretty similar to Avatar's in terms of being unoriginal and basic.

Avatar was billed as a "groundbreaking CG masterpiece", as you noted, but the word of mouth it received about its visual effects, art direction, and cinematography generally spread like an out of control hype train which everybody had to witness for themselves. It was an event, much like The Force Awakens was, so people would go multiple times to see it with family, friends and coworkers that hadn't yet seen it. Obviously the story was very average and cliched as most Cameron films tend to be outside of Aliens and T2 which were both written by other people primarily, but the film had very accessible characters, well known actors and probably the best director in terms of creating spectacle that's ever existed. A perfect storm, if you will.

I doubt another film, other than Avatar 2, will touch that record for a long time. Titanic too, for that matter.

Soliloquy of a Dogge

I love you, Boots
Aug 8, 2012
San Diego, CA
I wonder how this movie would be received if it was an original idea. As in, if the animated movie and the fairy tale before it were never made.

I think this will be a good barometer on how this live-action Lion King will play out. But also like... there are no humans in The Lion King... so what the ****.

Think Jungle Book is a better barometer. Give me Jungle Book, but without Mowgli, and I'll be happy. Yes, it doesn't technically qualify as "live action", I suppose, but if they can execute it as well as they did with Jungle Book, it will work.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
Think Jungle Book is a better barometer. Give me Jungle Book, but without Mowgli, and I'll be happy. Yes, it doesn't technically qualify as "live action", I suppose, but if they can execute it as well as they did with Jungle Book, it will work.

The Jungle Book was a little different for me. I liked the live action, but really didn't remember the cartoon version that well at all. My brother, who remembered the animated verison better than I did, did not like the new live-action.

I'm very, very apprehensive about a live action Lion King, which is easily my favorite animated movie.

Soliloquy of a Dogge

I love you, Boots
Aug 8, 2012
San Diego, CA
The Jungle Book was a little different for me. I liked the live action, but really didn't remember the cartoon version that well at all. My brother, who remembered the animated verison better than I did, did not like the new live-action.

I'm very, very apprehensive about a live action Lion King, which is easily my favorite animated movie.

The reason why I loved the Jungle Book live action remake so much is because compared to the original, Mowgli's character development feels more fleshed out and fully formed and the animals in the original were stereotypes anthropomorphized into animals instead of actually having characteristics accurate to their species. It was much more believable, in my opinion.

But yeah, there's definitely a lot more at risk tackling Lion King than Jungle Book, agreed. It's a flawless masterpiece and there's not much at all that can actually be improved compared the original Jungle Book. Hopefully they tread carefully and make sure they get it right.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Avatar was billed as a "groundbreaking CG masterpiece", as you noted, but the word of mouth it received about its visual effects, art direction, and cinematography generally spread like an out of control hype train which everybody had to witness for themselves. It was an event, much like The Force Awakens was, so people would go multiple times to see it with family, friends and coworkers that hadn't yet seen it. Obviously the story was very average and cliched as most Cameron films tend to be outside of Aliens and T2 which were both written by other people primarily, but the film had very accessible characters, well known actors and probably the best director in terms of creating spectacle that's ever existed. A perfect storm, if you will.

Avatar also arrived shortly into the 3D craze and, I believe, was the first film actually shot in 3D (with a separate camera capturing what each eye sees), rather than a 2D film adapted to 3D. 3D hadn't yet taken off and Avatar was the "killer app." People went to see the 3D version, and that was $3 more for every ticket that went to the total gross. They then told their friends and family that they had to see it in 3D and it was just a snowball effect. I doubt that many people actually went to see it in the theaters more than once because they liked the film so much, but because they wanted the 3D experience again (and to share it with their friends and families). Coming out right as 3D was about to explode and being the catalyst for that explosion contributed a lot to the perfect storm that you mentioned, IMO.

I doubt another film, other than Avatar 2, will touch that record for a long time. Titanic too, for that matter.

I kind of doubt that Avatar 2 touches the record, since, for one, it's not going to have the same fresh 3D experience of the original. Also, few people actually love the original's story, so I doubt that it'll be like how audiences flocked to The Empires Strikes Back because Star Wars was universally adored. Finally, since there are going to be four sequels, some people may just sit the first one out, since they'll have three more chances to see something similar in the theater and may even want to watch them all back-to-back. I'm sure that it's going to be a blockbuster smash that likely breaks the $1B barrier, regardless. I'm just skeptical of it breaking the record, though I could be wrong.

Big Poppa Puck

HF's Villain
Dec 8, 2009
D-Boss' Dungeon
Not to digress, but I seriously cannot for the life of me understand how the hell that movie became the highest grossing ever. So much mediocrity that movie, not a single memorable line or scene.

I watched that movie once and had that same reaction. Thought it was terrible.

The only things I remember from it are that they had sex by tying their hair together and that the lead actor looked like Sean Avery.

theotis77

Jul 25, 2005
Avatar as a movie was probably average to slightly above average. Avatar as an experience, being the first 3-D big-budget movie done right was fantastic. It was something people had never seen before. And, frankly, there hasn't been a 3-D movie yet to top that experience.

aadi*

Dec 1, 2015
i am waiting for Beauty and the Beast
i hope this is awesome The trailer is very nice music is also cool

WTFetus

Marlov
Mar 12, 2009
San Francisco
I don't even know if Watson would have really worked out for La La Land, does she really have the comedic chops for it? I feel like Emma Stone is perfect for the role, as she is a much better comedic actor (and overall actor).

There's also nothing wrong with having that Disney (princess) connection. Don't get me wrong, La La Land was a great movie, but I feel Disney movies have a significantly longer lifespan than annual blockbusters.
I'm hyped for this movie too.

SJSharksfan39

Oct 11, 2008
San Jose, CA
Disney released the Ariana Grande/John Legend version of "Beauty and the Beast" and I was kind of disappointed. I was hoping for something as epic and grand as we got in the final trailer that was released last week but it sounded too poppy and a bit all over the place. I hope the version in the movie is a lot better. It's meant to be a slow, and almost soulful song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vScUbKoE-qs&t=158s

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC

Has she even done any really note-worthy/solid work in the past few years? Seems to me like she's in the news more for her personal life/activism then her actual movies. She's not a particarly talented actress.

BonMorrison

Jun 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
Disney released the Ariana Grande/John Legend version of "Beauty and the Beast" and I was kind of disappointed. I was hoping for something as epic and grand as we got in the final trailer that was released last week but it sounded too poppy and a bit all over the place. I hope the version in the movie is a lot better. It's meant to be a slow, and almost soulful song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vScUbKoE-qs&t=158s

Damn I'm a fan of both of them but this is really really bad.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad