Beau Bennett

MrBurghundy

I may be older but I'm never forgetting #47 & #41
Oct 5, 2009
I Love Scotch
I don't see Bennett being kept if there are other cheap options available in the summer.

As long as they don't dump him for scraps, and actually get something useful in return, that's all I can ask for at this point. Especially after the organization ****ed up his development so badly.

I hope they trade him to Anaheim so he can be with Despres and I can start rooting for a 2nd team.

Malkin4Top6Wingerz

Can you like, shutup
Mar 14, 2009
I concur that Beau's lack of opportunity and bizzare usage at times has played a large part in why he's never been able to break out the way we had hoped. Him and Malkin have looked good together in their limited time together but the coaching staff has never looked at that as a viable long term option, so the first chance they get they break them up and go back to the status quo. Very frustrating.

Having said that, he's done himself no real favors with his play over the last few months, and while I agree as I said earlier that he should have gotten more chances, this is the way most NHL prospects break in. Rarely are they handed top 6 ice time ahead of more established players even when they are likely the best option available. They need to impress in their limited roles and truly earn it. Beau simply hasn't done that, and that's where I stop making excuses for him.

Unlike Tangradi, I still believe Bennett will eventually become a productive player at this level if he can stay healthy, but it probably won't be here, sadly.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Beau will finally have an offseason, too, to get stronger and healthier. Next year is make or break. It's all or nothing. He better realize that and go for it all.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
I agree that BB has been underwhelming but I also get very upset when I think that he has never gotten a legit shot to play with Malkin full time (25-40 games).

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
Beau will finally have an offseason, too, to get stronger and healthier. Next year is make or break. It's all or nothing. He better realize that and go for it all.

with our org. we will trade him for a 40 yr. old before we see what he looks like healthy.

vikingGoalie

Oct 31, 2010
There are a lot of factors at play here, and in the end, I have no idea if BB will be a bust or a top sixer.

I do know that when you get 8 shifts like he did last game, it's impossible for him to make his mark. Crosby by comparison had 26 shifts. BB didn't even get 3 shifts a period.

This isn't guess work on my part. I've been there and I know for a fact when I sat on the bench it was impossible to get in a groove and make things happen. It's different when you are an energy guy and the coach just wants you to bang bodies and keep the puck low.

When you are expected to score and make plays, then given 3-4 shifts a period and sent out with grinders, with no PP time, it's rough. It really is.

Now skating with two knee braces I can't even imagine. So much of skating involves bending your knees and having that flexibility limited would drive me insane. I don't know if I could do it, I really don't.

Maybe a special talent could play a few shifts a period with grinders, no PP time and knee braces on and excel. I don't think BB is a special talent though. Just a talented guy that can play top six minutes and make a guy like Malkin better.

i get all that. I do. But what I don't get is the lack of hustle. If he got his 3-4 shifts in the period, and he was trying to make something good happen. Operative word here is "TRY" but is failing because his linemates are crap that's one thing.

When he coasts around, avoids contact and generally just looks like he's not competing that's another. I buy the argument that he won't show up statistically or be able to get into a scoring groove with limited minutes and playing with pluggers. But when you hop over that wall you better be skating hard, even if your are a square peg in a round hole.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
i get all that. I do. But what I don't get is the lack of hustle. If he got his 3-4 shifts in the period, and he was trying to make something good happen. Operative word here is "TRY" but is failing because his linemates are crap that's one thing.

When he coasts around, avoids contact and generally just looks like he's not competing that's another. I buy the argument that he won't show up statistically or be able to get into a scoring groove with limited minutes and playing with pluggers. But when you hop over that wall you better be skating hard, even if your are a square peg in a round hole.

I thought Sutter was scratched last night for awhile there. Then I checked his log and saw he had around 12 minutes.

I'm not really noticing Winnik or Spaling. Downie is suppose to be the grittiest of all these guys and I haven't noticed him.

These are all third liners and I don't see them running guys through the wall and flying around. Why exactly should we expect a kid drafted to be a playmaker to be the one being an energy guy?

There have been more than enough games the last few months when BB was the guy doling out hits and playing hard. He had a game high 7 hits not too long ago. However, it's idiotic to expect him to be a grinder every game. A guy like Saad isn't like that and I've went into great detail explaining why.

We have seen it time and again, when BB does well with his 3-4 shifts a period, he's never rewarded with more TOI or given an expanded role.

This is an org that thought Scuds was babysitting Despres and he needed to be sheltered. Now he is playing important minutes for the Ducks and somehow is excelling without Scuds holding his hand.

Maybe if they took the reigns off BB and stopped trying to make him a grinder, and let him build off the chemistry he has with Malkin...

Nevermind. It's too comical to think this org would slight a vet and let a young kid have an important role. Things have been just peachy with Malkin. Forget about the longest slump of his career without getting a point.

Next veteran journeyman step right up...

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
SMART management would see that Bennett's value right now is at an all-time low. Therefore, they would know to keep him around this off-season, give him a legitimate chance to prove himself in training camp (top 9 role, maybe even top 6 depending on transactions and roster), and THEN properly assess where we're at.

That is, of course, if we hire smart management this summer.

PensFreak

Jun 5, 2007
The best thing that they could do is as follows:

Season ends. Management tells Beau they want him to get faster for the offseason, work on his shot. He does.

Next season rolls around. They put Beau next to Malkin for 20-30 games minimum. Tell him, 'It doesn't matter if you produce or not this game, next game. You're going to be right there for a third of the season and have your chance, regardless of what happens.'

If he still can't do anything during that time period, or doesn't do well enough, then at least you gave the kid a shot. His value may be higher as a function of playing more minutes and on a top line, and if they don't think they have anything special then at least he's movable. Best case scenario, the confidence they show in him and taking the fear away of being benched for minuscule mistakes motivates him into playing the best hockey of his career, and he finally starts to blossom.

Doing anything else is simply a waste of Beau Bennett. He has talent; that's obvious. What is also obvious is that a player that is primarily a skilled playmaker is not going to shine on the fourth, or likely even the third line. Benching him for virtually nothing destroys his confidence and takes away his ability to make the creative plays that made him such a good prospect. Show Beau a little love and maybe it'll work out. If they don't, hopefully someone else will.

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
SMART management would see that Bennett's value right now is at an all-time low. Therefore, they would know to keep him around this off-season, give him a legitimate chance to prove himself in training camp (top 9 role, maybe even top 6 depending on transactions and roster), and THEN properly assess where we're at.

That is, of course, if we hire smart management this summer.

that shouldn't even take "smart" management when you have 90% of the posters on this board know that.
edit; my apologies to the 10%. I didn't want to say everyone because some where there is some one that just crawled out from under a rock, and thinks otherwise.

Karnage420*

hes a bust.

always injured, lost crucial development time to injuries, which leads him to who he is now - a scrub.

if hes with us next year he'll have a lot to prove - but its time people get off the "OMG WHY ISNT HE IN THE TOP 6?!" crap.

HE
HASNT
DONE
ANYTHING
TO
DESERVE
THE
ICE-TIME

players with skill need prove they can create on their own in this league. bennett hasn't.

ImporterExporter

"You're a boring old man"
Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
Yep. Its amazing how overrated this board makes him out to be. Never liked him and 2 years ago said many times over he'd bust out. You can use whatever excuse you want but he simply hasn't done jack when on the ice. Nothing that would warrant top 6 time exclusively. He was a poor pick then and a poor pick today.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
hes a bust.

always injured, lost crucial development time to injuries, which leads him to who he is now - a scrub.

if hes with us next year he'll have a lot to prove - but its time people get off the "OMG WHY ISNT HE IN THE TOP 6?!" crap.

HE
HASNT
DONE
ANYTHING
TO
DESERVE
THE
ICE-TIME

players with skill need prove they can create on their own in this league. bennett hasn't.

Yes. Saad with 20 games scoreless to start, right? He didn't deserve anything. Why did he? Why didn't Sid start as a 4th liner to grind away games before becoming a star!

Come on, man. What a joke.

graffix6x

May 26, 2008
hes a bust.

HE
HASNT
DONE
ANYTHING
TO
DESERVE
THE
ICE-TIME

tarasenko-39 points, Tatar-28 points, Bennett-31 points in their 1st 75 games. Yet lets give up on him already. What a bust these guys were. Yet they played more minutes than Beau

Fordy

May 28, 2008
hes a bust.

HE
HASNT
DONE
ANYTHING
TO
DESERVE
THE
ICE-TIME

say something new

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
I actually think he's really good and I'm depressed at how he's played. People want to excuse it all on how the coaching staff has treated him. MJ and co have treated him like **** but Bennett has also played nowhere near the way he can this year. I remember a guy last year who would get on the ice and no matter what line you put him on he'd constantly have the puck, he'd be cycling, he'd make awesome passes, he'd hit and play physical, he had a shot..

I don't see that guy this year. I know he's capable of being that player even if they have him playing with Craig Adams and Paul Steigerwald.

tom_servo

Sep 27, 2002
Pittsburgh
hes a bust.

HE
HASNT
DONE
ANYTHING
TO
DESERVE
THE
ICE-TIME

Just going by your recent post history, you seem to think that Bennett, Pouliot, Harrington, and Dumoulin suck outright, and you smugly defended the Despres trade. You also suggested we rehire Bylsma, which might have been tongue-in-cheek, but my guess is not.

And then there was a random jump to another post you made in the music thread: "I don't get how people still listen to bands." And then you said the thread was too white... and didn't add anything.

Haha! You were that dude. I think a line like that says all we need to know about why you participate in online discussion.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad