Beau Bennett

eXile59

Shirts on.
Jan 2, 2009
PA
Beau plays too casual, I think that's why he gets injured a lot. You need a bit of urgency to avoids hits. Same with Letang, he just kinda stands there and takes hits all the time. I know Beau got hurt in practice but I'm just talking in general or something.
The potential good news is that it could open up a spot for Kapinen (sp)

He's a physical player. All his injuries have been freakish bad luck. It's not like he's Gaborik and his groin is pulled three out of four weeks in the month.

Schaferman

Oct 8, 2013
Trade Peanut brittle (oops I mean Beau Brittle) so he can fill someone else's chat board with unfulfilled hype!

Last edited:

No Quarter*

If he's out for a long period of time is there a slim chance my boy Oskar Sundqvist could get a shot?????

vikingGoalie

Oct 31, 2010
figured it was better to resurrect a thread then start a brand new one.

What has happened to Beau Bennett. I really watched him these last two games, his compete/try level is just gone. He looks like he's not even trying half the time he is out there.

Every now and then you see a spurt, but I remember last season in the playoffs when he put did some text book, hard as hell checks on some blue jacket players.
He *was* a pretty physical player in this regard. He didn't shy from contact and forchecked hard.

Now he looks like a player who is playing to not get hurt. I used to be pretty high on the future for sunshine, now not so much. To the more analytical minds on the board? Any thoughts on what's going on here? He sure is looking more and more like a bust.

Fordy

May 28, 2008
he's been neutered by injuries and two consecutive coaching staffs that benched him any time he started playing too well

his future is fine, he'll succeed whenever he takes off a knee brace and gets real opportunities, here or somewhere else

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
figured it was better to resurrect a thread then start a brand new one.

What has happened to Beau Bennett. I really watched him these last two games, his compete/try level is just gone. He looks like he's not even trying half the time he is out there.

Every now and then you see a spurt, but I remember last season in the playoffs when he put did some text book, hard as hell checks on some blue jacket players.
He *was* a pretty physical player in this regard. He didn't shy from contact and forchecked hard.

Now he looks like a player who is playing to not get hurt. I used to be pretty high on the future for sunshine, now not so much. To the more analytical minds on the board? Any thoughts on what's going on here? He sure is looking more and more like a bust.

He's played 10:42 and 5:41 in this series.

They had to start putting Crosby out on the PK to get him minutes.

If the best player in the world needs steady minutes to get into the game, I'm not sure how BB could be any better with much less TOI.

He's never going to be an energy guy and if that's what they wanted him for, I'm not sure why he was drafted. He shows the same pattern... When he gets 14+ TOI he is noticeable. When he gets less than 10 he's a ghost.

Not really surprising for a guy who wasn't drafted to be a grinder.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
People just refuse to be rational when discussing Beau. Jiggy is one of the few around here that gets it.

Beau is not a grinder and has been asked to play a dumb role by both MJ and DB. It's stupid. It's not his forte and he'll never do it. Saad would have been used the same way around here and never found his way. You have to put the kid on Geno's line for 20-30 games and see what you got. If he's a bust, see ya later. I want to know how he does in HIS role.

Part of it is development. Part of it is Beau. Part of it is health. Part of it is coaching/organizational. It's a combination of all those things that is driving him down. It's a damn shame, too, because he's shown mini flashes of brilliance with Geno. He's also shown flashes of lazy effort and zero confidence.

Frankly, you have to put this kid in position to do his best work or just cut him and let another team progress his ability. But understand this - this organization is starting to become very poor at developing talent, if they already didn't earn that moniker. Beau is going to be another one of those missed talents that the Pens failed miserably to develop. I doubt the kid has any confidence left and why the hell should he?

This is discussion for another time - but the Pens need to start getting heat for their lack of developing players.

specialized

Jan 24, 2013
Playing him on the third or fourth line is useless, he is just not that type of player, So I gotta ask, why even dress him. Watch him try to throw a body check he runs into players with his back to them.

Another thing, they keep playing him on LW, when he is a pure RW. of course he is going to make defensive mistakes,trying to clear on his backhand is not always easy, most defensman have a hard time making that play.

I would like to see for one whole game a perron malkin bennett line. maybe in the playoffs its not the best time to experience this, but having winnik on any top six is just ridiculous.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
Apparently this is one of the many adjustments Johnston has made that is making believers out of the fan base.

Bench Bennett. Profit.

:shakehead

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
Playing him on the third or fourth line is useless, he is just not that type of player, So I gotta ask, why even dress him. Watch him try to throw a body check he runs into players with his back to them.

Another thing, they keep playing him on LW, when he is a pure RW. of course he is going to make defensive mistakes,trying to clear on his backhand is not always easy, most defensman have a hard time making that play.

I would like to see for one whole game a perron malkin bennett line. maybe in the playoffs its not the best time to experience this, but having winnik on any top six is just ridiculous.

Every time Bennett has played left wing with Malkin, he's been more than fine.

It's a myth that Bennett can't play left wing. He can, as a top-six winger next to Malkin.

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
Every time Bennett has played left wing with Malkin, he's been more than fine.

It's a myth that Bennett can't play left wing. He can, as a top-six winger next to Malkin.

He looks better on the RW and Perron's a natural LWer so that problem is kind of mute anyway.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
People just refuse to be rational when discussing Beau. Jiggy is one of the few around here that gets it.

Beau is not a grinder and has been asked to play a dumb role by both MJ and DB. It's stupid. It's not his forte and he'll never do it. Saad would have been used the same way around here and never found his way. You have to put the kid on Geno's line for 20-30 games and see what you got. If he's a bust, see ya later. I want to know how he does in HIS role.

Part of it is development. Part of it is Beau. Part of it is health. Part of it is coaching/organizational. It's a combination of all those things that is driving him down. It's a damn shame, too, because he's shown mini flashes of brilliance with Geno. He's also shown flashes of lazy effort and zero confidence.

Frankly, you have to put this kid in position to do his best work or just cut him and let another team progress his ability. But understand this - this organization is starting to become very poor at developing talent, if they already didn't earn that moniker. Beau is going to be another one of those missed talents that the Pens failed miserably to develop. I doubt the kid has any confidence left and why the hell should he?

This is discussion for another time - but the Pens need to start getting heat for their lack of developing players.

There are a lot of factors at play here, and in the end, I have no idea if BB will be a bust or a top sixer.

I do know that when you get 8 shifts like he did last game, it's impossible for him to make his mark. Crosby by comparison had 26 shifts. BB didn't even get 3 shifts a period.

This isn't guess work on my part. I've been there and I know for a fact when I sat on the bench it was impossible to get in a groove and make things happen. It's different when you are an energy guy and the coach just wants you to bang bodies and keep the puck low.

When you are expected to score and make plays, then given 3-4 shifts a period and sent out with grinders, with no PP time, it's rough. It really is.

Now skating with two knee braces I can't even imagine. So much of skating involves bending your knees and having that flexibility limited would drive me insane. I don't know if I could do it, I really don't.

Maybe a special talent could play a few shifts a period with grinders, no PP time and knee braces on and excel. I don't think BB is a special talent though. Just a talented guy that can play top six minutes and make a guy like Malkin better.

MrBurghundy

I may be older but I'm never forgetting #47 & #41
Oct 5, 2009
I Love Scotch
Most rational people are mad that Bennett isn't even being given a fair shake, not that he's some magical cure all for our top-6, and a superstar in the making.

Give the kid a real shot to see what you've got. There is literally zero risk in doing so. The 2nd line can't possibly look any worse than it has for quite some time now.

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
I don't see Bennett being kept if there are other cheap options available in the summer.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad