Confirmed with Link: Beau Bennett traded to Devils for 3rd round pick (Connor Hall)

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Jul 3, 2013
I still think Beau could be a great player. Like I said before, he has a very high hockey IQ & a wicked shot. I think of injuries as something that's based on luck (anyone could get hurt for whatever reason). If his luck turns around, he could be a great player. I wish him the best, he has done great things for us, & I hope he turns out to be a star for the Devils or wherever he goes in the future.

Freeptop

Jun 17, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
If you had wanted to be fair, you would look at team scoring.

In 2015-2016, the regular season WBS scored 229 goals, 405 assists, adding up to 634 points.

The comparable numbers for 2012-2013 are 178 goals, 298 assists and 476 points.

This years team had 30-35% more offense and many more offensively capable young forwards. It had depth. The difference is statistically massive.

And that depth came from players like, well, Sheary, Wilson, Rust, Kuhnhackl, Simon, Sundqvist, Dea, Archibald.... you know, the guys that made Rutherford believe that the Pens could move on from Bennett.

I liked Bennett, but the breaking point for me with him was when he managed to injure himself celebrating a goal. It was the kind of thing people joked about happening to him, assuming they were using hyperbole, only it actually happened. At that point, I pretty much just started assuming that he'd never be on the roster for very long before he'd inevitably end up on IR again. Sadly, that assumption bore true.

Best of luck to him with the Devils. Hopefully escaping the Penguins injury curse will allow him to stay healthy.

Tender Rip

Wears long pants
Feb 12, 2007
Shanghai, China
And that depth came from players like, well, Sheary, Wilson, Rust, Kuhnhackl, Simon, Sundqvist, Dea, Archibald.... you know, the guys that made Rutherford believe that the Pens could move on from Bennett.

Exactly. I do not argue against that at all.
Just saying it is meaningless comparing to the scoring of the 12/13 WBS.

ImporterExporter

"You're a boring old man"
Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
I never understood how anyone became excited about Beau. The guy never played long enough to establish he was a legit NHL player. Ever. Kid had the worst luck but getting a 3rd round pick for somebody who literally has done NOTHING at the NHL level is robbery.

WheresRamziAbid

Oct 31, 2013
I never understood how anyone became excited about Beau. The guy never played long enough to establish he was a legit NHL player. Ever. Kid had the worst luck but getting a 3rd round pick for somebody who literally has done NOTHING at the NHL level is robbery.

When he's played he's on about a 30 point NHL pace with positive possession metrics. That's a NHL player. A hurt NHL player more often than not but an NHL player.

ImporterExporter

Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
When is the last time he played more than 15-20 games consecutively? When had he ever played long enough to use a legit sample size as to what his ceiling could have been?

Sure he made a few nice plays here and there, scored a handful of goals, at least tried to be physical, etc. But I just never saw a player that was destined for big things, despite this board spending years hyping him as a legit top 6 W.

Fordy

May 28, 2008
When is the last time he played more than 15-20 games consecutively? When had he ever played long enough to use a legit sample size as to what his ceiling could have been?

Sure he made a few nice plays here and there, scored a handful of goals, at least tried to be physical, etc. But I just never saw a player that was destined for big things, despite this board spending years hyping him as a legit top 6 W.

you didn't even acknowledge what he said

MoonDragn

Mar 28, 2007
Maryland
So, what in your opinion is the reason that Beau Bennett keeps getting injured? He seems like a pretty big player.Is he taking on too many guys bigger than himself? Is he a clutz? or trying to do too much?

He seems like another Jacob Josefson to me. Showed potential but kept getting injured. Josefson's problem was going too fast and not being able to control his skating.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
So, what in your opinion is the reason that Beau Bennett keeps getting injured? He seems like a pretty big player.Is he taking on too many guys bigger than himself? Is he a clutz? or trying to do too much?

He seems like another Jacob Josefson to me. Showed potential but kept getting injured. Josefson's problem was going too fast and not being able to control his skating.

That's a great question. He put on some size last summer, but he still got injured several times. Some of them are freak things like hurting his knee in practice by cutting into a rut on the ice or hurting his shoulder from celebrating a goal (not making that up), but others are from just getting manhandled like Oshie plowing him into the boards. His freak injuries go back to college when he was cut with a skate and tore a tendon in his wrist.

Mike Johnston tried to change Beau's game from more perimeter to harder on the walls, competing in front, etc and Beau definitely responded, but he also got hurt from it. His injuries span both wrists, both knees, and shoulder issues. At some point, you just have to wonder if his body can hold up to NHL hockey.

He may just not have the body of a pro hockey player or he may just need a change of scenery and he can put it all together. He seems like a really good kid so I hope he does well for you guys.

ImporterExporter

Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
Luck is part of it but I believe that part of hockey IQ is the ability to play hard but avoid getting hurt.

Yeah, Phil Kessel has played over 500 straight games. Explain that to the folks who paint him as a hot dog eating, fat POS slob........luck is involved for sure, but Bennett is on an entirely different level. That guy coughed and broke a rib.

Old Gregg

I'm Old Gregg!!
Apr 13, 2010
I mean Beau had a cut tendon from being stepped on, a bum knee from catching a rut in practice, and a bum shoulder from celebrating a goal. How is that not luck related?

Because it's Beau Bennett and a lot of Pens fans love to make fun of the poor kid for all the injuries he has gone thru. I really hope he succeeds in NJ. He was starting to really show some progress this season

Mar 12, 2009
I just came to the Pens board to say I really like Connor Hall as a prospect. I get to see him a lot (sometimes in person, get most games on live local broadcasts) living in his teams region. He started off the season as a bottom pairing guy, showed some glimpses of promise with decent skating, good hitting ability and agressiveness. Then got suspended 10 games, then injured. Cam back after Christmas and steadily improved. Rangers D had a lot of injuries and he stepped up quite well playing top 4 minutes more often and even playing what appeared to be top D line duties for the playoffs (or at least pats of it). Despite his limited number of games and it being his first season in the OHL, he was ranked in the top 3 best hitters in the OHL Western Conference in a yearly coaches poll. I think he should become a really solid 3rd pairing D, and their is some potential in him becoming a 2nd pairing D depending on whether or not his development keeps going on the large upward swing it was on after christmas this season.

UnderratedBrooks44

Sep 13, 2005
Miranda's house
I mean Beau had a cut tendon from being stepped on, a bum knee from catching a rut in practice, and a bum shoulder from celebrating a goal. How is that not luck related?

Because it's Beau Bennett and a lot of Pens fans love to make fun of the poor kid for all the injuries he has gone thru. I really hope he succeeds in NJ. He was starting to really show some progress this season

I agree that people take a strange pleasure in taking shots at Beau, but at what point do we consider his injuries the norm? Maybe most guys don't get hurt in one or two of those situations mentioned above. It's hard to say. It could be an incredible string of bad luck, but at what point is it not? Beau is the only other player I can think of off the top of my head that might be Martin Havlat-level frustrating due to injuries, and he ain't Havlat from a talent point of view unfortunately. At this point I could've flipped a coin between keeping him and his cap hit or just calling it quits for a pick.

ncm7772

Apr 10, 2016
Upstate NY

It wasn't just here. There was so much hype seemingly everywhere regarding this guy. Had potential, injuries absolutely killed him.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
I agree that people take a strange pleasure in taking shots at Beau, but at what point do we consider his injuries the norm? Maybe most guys don't get hurt in one or two of those situations mentioned above. It's hard to say. It could be an incredible string of bad luck, but at what point is it not? Beau is the only other player I can think of off the top of my head that might be Martin Havlat-level frustrating due to injuries, and he ain't Havlat from a talent point of view unfortunately. At this point I could've flipped a coin between keeping him and his cap hit or just calling it quits for a pick.

Oh yeah I think it's both and alluded to that above. The point with my post was that SOME of Beau's injuries have to be bad luck, but some of it is the situations he puts himself in or the body he was given / how he trains, etc.

It seems like an all of the above thing with Beau.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
When he's played he's on about a 30 point NHL pace with positive possession metrics. That's a NHL player. A hurt NHL player more often than not but an NHL player.

Not unless they do something else (PK, fight, finish a lot of checks, can wear a letter, have rock solid defensive games, can double as a center). Seems to me a "30 point and that's all I do" wing isn't rare enough to not find himself replaced by a 20 point guy who rattles bones or scores shorties. Especially when those 30 points are more like 15 due to missed games (as well as being assist-heavy).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad