Confirmed with Link: Beau Bennett traded to Devils for 3rd round pick (Connor Hall)

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
BB has a better chance of working out that a 3rd. don't love this move

He needed a change in scenery because he wasn't going to get the ice time here with the other young guys and acquisitions stepping up this year. It was as much for him as us. Also your statement is pretty arbitrary. There are plenty of 3rd rounders and later who end up being good NHL players.

Freeptop

Jun 17, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
He needed a change in scenery because he wasn't going to get the ice time here with the other young guys and acquisitions stepping up this year. It was as much for him as us. Also your statement is pretty arbitrary. There are plenty of 3rd rounders and later who end up being good NHL players.

Heck, with the Pens' record in the draft, I'd almost rather get a 3rd than a 2nd....

Some recent third round picks:
Guentzel, Sundqvist, Murray, Rust...
Actually, those are all of the Pens' third round picks from 2010-2015. Even going back to Shero's first draft in 2006, we only add two real busts:
Hanowski, Bortuzzo, Pierro-Zabotel and Strait.

That's kind of astonishing, really. Particularly since the Pens have traded away a fair number of third rounders over the years. Hopefully Connor Hall can at least turn out to be a Bortuzzo.

Freeptop

Jun 17, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
Quick follow-on to my previous post. By way of contrast, here are the second round picks the Pens have made from 2006-2015:
Sneep, Samuelsson, Harrington, Blueger, Jarry and Sprong.

That's not exactly an inspiring group there, though the fact that there are so few of them really doesn't help.

Allie Kitsune

...and the Brawla Brawla Sewitt
Jan 7, 2006
Pennsylvania
Just to be a stupid ****-disturber... I wonder if we could have got that OTHER Hall for BB... (even if we maybe had to throw in DP)...

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Heck, with the Pens' record in the draft, I'd almost rather get a 3rd than a 2nd....

Some recent third round picks:
Guentzel, Sundqvist, Murray, Rust...
Actually, those are all of the Pens' third round picks from 2010-2015. Even going back to Shero's first draft in 2006, we only add two real busts:
Hanowski, Bortuzzo, Pierro-Zabotel and Strait.

That's kind of astonishing, really. Particularly since the Pens have traded away a fair number of third rounders over the years. Hopefully Connor Hall can at least turn out to be a Bortuzzo.

Quick follow-on to my previous post. By way of contrast, here are the second round picks the Pens have made from 2006-2015:

That's not exactly an inspiring group there, though the fact that there are so few of them really doesn't help.

It's almost as if the problem was Shero kept going for "safe" picks in the 2nd round, thus they had very little upside even if they made it (and pretty much are fringe players even if they did). In the 3rd round, he seemed to be willing to take chances on longshots but who had high end upside.

I mean, until JR came along and drafted Sprong in the 2nd round, which of Shero's 2nd round picks actually look like "high ceiling" guys? They're all pretty much "safe" picks.

The problem ended up being that what Shero thought of as "safe" actually turned out to mean "not much overall talent".

ncm7772

Apr 10, 2016
Upstate NY

Carl Sneep, that's a blast from the past. Dude just up and bagged it on his minor league team. Retired like a year after Shero traded him.

cygnus47

Sep 14, 2013
Just love his game when he's healthy. He's a fun player to watch.

He was also the only winger that could make nifty plays for a long period when the team was committed to only having half a roster at a time. Fresh air and sunshine.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad