Votes: 40 35.7%
  • Seinfeld

Votes: 72 64.3%

• Total voters

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Well I absolutely worship the music of the Beatles and their song writing ability. I could listen to all of their albums a thousand times and never grow tired of them so my vote on the island would be clear. Hopefully Amazon could do some deliveries when the tide was right. I play some guitar myself but I could only dream of inventing the chords and solos of Lennon and McCartney and of course George Harrison as well. Many of their most famous riffs were done by Harrison after Lennon and McCartney presented the original verses and chorus. For example, one of their classics off Hard Day's Night was "And I Love her" but that opening riff was entirely George and not Paul.

What I wouldn't have given to have been in the studio when Sgt. Pepper was recorded. We visited EMI studios when we were in London and it took me 3 days to come down from cloud nine. I walked that famous cross walk in front of the building a dozen times while my wife and daughter tried to get just the right picture but alas none of the shots were worthy of the Abbey Road album.

As for sitcoms, my wife likes them but I find many of them to be annoying rubbish. There are some funny moments but those canned laugh tracks that play every time one of them speaks a word is tough to take. If its truly funny then why do you need the canned laugh track? Don't get me wrong I love comedy but give me Robin Williams or George Carlin in a heartbeat over some of this other stuff where laughter seems to be so "forced."
Nice story to hear and been to London a couple times but we just always felt theres so many places to see that we prioritized. Plus that its more of a beautiful sight seeing something like Tower Of London or say Knightbridge area where Natural History Museum and Royal Albert hall are close together. We kind of planned trips in London and in UK to maximize what we could see. For instance skipping things like Stonehenge which is harder to get to and having more time in places like Edinburgh instead.

I'm a huge Beatles fan, but not a huge pilgrimage fan if that makes any sense.

If I lived in London for sure I would have many more places to visit and would be on our list. But we had so many places we wanted to see. Thus Liverpool wasn't on our list either. I did see Jimmy Pages house though heh but mostly because we just happened to be around there. Same with his Boleskine house on Loch ness/Inverness. But again because we were in area on a bus tour of the Loch.

Last edited:
Reactions: Perfect_Drug

Cournoyer12

Mar 17, 2022
Well I absolutely worship the music of the Beatles and their song writing ability. I could listen to all of their albums a thousand times and never grow tired of them so my vote on the island would be clear. Hopefully Amazon could do some deliveries when the tide was right. I play some guitar myself but I could only dream of inventing the chords and solos of Lennon and McCartney and of course George Harrison as well. Many of their most famous riffs were done by Harrison after Lennon and McCartney presented the original verses and chorus. For example, one of their classics off Hard Day's Night was "And I Love her" but that opening riff was entirely George and not Paul.

What I wouldn't have given to have been in the studio when Sgt. Pepper was recorded. We visited EMI studios when we were in London and it took me 3 days to come down from cloud nine. I walked that famous cross walk in front of the building a dozen times while my wife and daughter tried to get just the right picture but alas none of the shots were worthy of the Abbey Road album.

As for sitcoms, my wife likes them but I find many of them to be annoying rubbish. There are some funny moments but those canned laugh tracks that play every time one of them speaks a word is tough to take. If its truly funny then why do you need the canned laugh track? Don't get me wrong I love comedy but give me Robin Williams or George Carlin in a heartbeat over some of this other stuff where laughter seems to be so "forced."
This is way off the wall, but I recently got back to a BBC comedy, The Fall and Rise of Reginald Perrin. Watched it in the 70s with my Dad. Always found it hilarious and still find it funny today almost 50 years later! Saying that I always found the English comedies more subtle and much more entertaining, once I could figure out the dialects. Also enjoyed The Young Ones, Are You being served, and Dave Allen to name a few!

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
This is way off the wall, but I recently got back to a BBC comedy, The Fall and Rise of Reginald Perrin. Watched it in the 70s with my Dad. Always found it hilarious and still find it funny today almost 50 years later! Saying that I always found the English comedies more subtle and much more entertaining, once I could figure out the dialects. Also enjoyed The Young Ones, Are You being served, and Dave Allen to name a few!
Agreed- I love British comedy too because it isn't as woke as North American stuff (or at least wasn't) and it tends to portray life as it really is. I also loved that show "the two Ronnies" and "Benny Hill" which I believe were both of British origin.

But let's tie comedy and the Beatles together with a real story.

The Beatles were huge in Liverpool in 1962 but when they went to EMI in London (to get a record deal) the company wasn't interested because "guitar groups were on their way out and so was rock and roll" but as a favor to Beatle's manager Brian Epstein they asked a guy named George Martin to meet with the group to see if there was any point in producing another rock and roll album.

Martin was a classically trained musician but had produced comedy albums for the EMI group. When Martin met with the Beatles he remarked that their music was "forgettable and yet not quite" but he was very impressed with how funny the soon to be Fab 4 were and he shared their passion for the Marx Brothers--another comedy group.

Things got off to a slow start with "Love Me Do" but when they cut "Please Please Me" George Martin walked down to the floor below and told the boys "Gentlemen, I think you just cut your first #1" and he was right. Things took off from there but if it hadn't been for their common interest in comedy then perhaps the World outside of Britain would never have heard of the lads from Liverpool.

Ironically the classical sounds (like the French Horn in Penny Lane) came from George Martin, a guy who never thought of producing rock and roll music until a twist of fate set him on another path--the rest as they say is history.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Virtually nobody on this continent knew about The Young Ones. Wow!. We're like kindred bros. kudos. So many Brit comedies I've listed off. Agree with both you and @MoontoScott in preferring the Brit comedies. The one word that comes to mind is irreverent. The Two Ronnies, loved that one too.

Anybody remember The Goodies? Used to watch after school.

Cournoyer12

Mar 17, 2022
Virtually nobody on this continent knew about The Young Ones. Wow!. We're like kindred bros. kudos. So many Brit comedies I've listed off. Agree with both you and @MoontoScott in preferring the Brit comedies. The one word that comes to mind is irreverent. The Two Ronnies, loved that one too.

Anybody remember The Goodies? Used to watch after school.

My favorite episode of the Young Ones was Bambi (University Challenge) with Lemmy and Motörhead, but I also loved the Bylofski family, especially Jertzy- ex ice hockey player with the Moscow Dynamo 🤪

• Love
Reactions: Drivesaitl

MoneyGuy

Wandering
Oct 19, 2009
Tough call. The Seinfeld show is excellent but he’s seriously over-rated as a comic. The Beatles were great in the first half of their careers until they seriously got into drugs and their music turned to crap, in my opinion. I’d take Seinfeld as it’d provide more of a diversion on an island - unless I’m with a beautiful, lonely native woman.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Tough call. The Seinfeld show is excellent but he’s seriously over-rated as a comic. The Beatles were great in the first half of their careers until they seriously got into drugs and their music turned to crap, in my opinion. I’d take Seinfeld as it’d provide more of a diversion on an island - unless I’m with a beautiful, lonely native woman.
So...the Beatles got worse as they matured and broadened their horizons and honed their skills, and ultimately wrote crap. Wow. I guess Let it Be and Something should just get chucked in the dumpster.:rolleyes:

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
So...the Beatles got worse as they matured and broadened their horizons and honed their skills, and ultimately wrote crap. Wow. I guess Let it Be and Something should just get chucked in the dumpster.:rolleyes:
Their last album, "Abbey Road" was brilliant and filled with great songs. Even hard core musicians who disliked their early stuff lauded the album.

You mentioned -"Something" which (as I mentioned earlier) was Frank Sinatra's favorite "Lennon and McCartney" song although it was in fact written by George Harrison. Hundreds of artists covered the song.

Their style and sound changed over the years but the thing is that if your sound remains the same then people say you are "limited" but when you step outside of the box on the Sgt. Pepper album to do a song like "A Day in the Life" then suddenly fans realize how much more there is to your talent. It's like that with every group. As soon as you experiment with a new style then some people claim you are not as good as you once were. But as you approach the age of 30 then writing songs like "I want to hold your hand" just don't come across as sincere.

As for "Let it Be" (off the album of the same name) it was a huge hit around the globe. Listeners thought it was an ode to the Virgin Mary when in fact it was about Paul's mother (also named Mary) who passed away when he was only 13. And it certainly wasn't inspired by drugs. Churches and schools around the World loved the song and still do--an absolutely beautiful classic by gentleman Paul.

Senor Catface

Jul 25, 2006
self-respect
or-yehuda-edgy.gif

MoneyGuy

Wandering
Oct 19, 2009
Those songs are classics. I’m referring to the crap from the latter part if their careers.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
Abbey Road and Let It Be are great albums, and were recorded and released as the last part of their career as Beatles. No sure how much later you can go in their career as a band when you are calling them crap, as that was the end.
Quite right--both of these albums were recorded in 1969--months apart. The Abbey Road sessions with all of its classic material was the last time they recorded together. Far from being crap it represented a very suitable departure and they went out when they were on top of their game, unlike so many other bands that became self parodies. How many entertainers in sports, movies or music can make the claim that they started with a bang and finished with a bang?---precious few.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Those songs are classics. I’m referring to the crap from the latter part if their careers.
You might need to do some research, as the songs I referenced were from the very last part of their Beatles career. If you're referring to some of their work in the last few years, then yes, likely not as memorable. (Shame on Sir Paul for not ringing up a string of hits in his 80's:D ) .But tough to be on top of the creative writing game for 60 consecutive years. However, there enough of a wealth of previous material that can be drawn on to supply 4 or 5 concerts worth.

Anyone remember the show ‘Allo ‘Allo? F***ing hilarious 🤣
I do! And it was hilarious. "It is I , Leclerc!"

Renee and his women! Herr Flick!

Last edited:
Reactions: Messrules11

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad