OT: Bears & NFL Talk 98

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sarava

May 9, 2010
West Dundee, IL
Latu>Turner is crazy. I wonder what they're hearing to think that? That's not the consensus from what I've seen.
Hmm, not sure its crazy. It's really about how you think Latu's health will be. If a team can convince themselves his health wont be a big deterrent (big risk there), then he's probably the top DE in the draft by a comfortable margin.

Idionym

Apr 6, 2015
Chicago
Hmm, not sure its crazy. It's really about how you think Latu's health will be. If a team can convince themselves his health wont be a big deterrent (big risk there), then he's probably the top DE in the draft by a comfortable margin.
Crazy as in Latu has been projected to go in the 20s or so, not that it's like an insane pick. Probably not the best word, I was just surprised.

I don't know if he's the top DE even without the medical. He's a good DE, but he doesn't have the elite traits you want in a top pick from my understanding.

Reactions: Mrfenn92

plasmonresonance

Jul 28, 2015
Crazy as in Latu has been projected to go in the 20s or so, not that it's like an insane pick. Probably not the best word, I was just surprised.

I don't know if he's the top DE even without the medical. He's a good DE, but he doesn't have the elite traits you want in a top pick from my understanding.
Falcons defensive coach Jimmy Lake coached Latu at Washington before Latu transfered to UCLA so maybe that's influencing the odds makers.

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL

I think he's a fairly good bet to be better than Turner next year. 3 years from now, who knows, but Turner has work to do to even become as good at pass rushing as Latu is right now.

Idionym

Apr 6, 2015
Chicago

They can announce plans all they want. This is nowhere near a done deal if they're asking for taxpayer dollars, which they are.

I'm against this unless it's a massively lopsided deal towards the City. Don't give them anything, make them go pay property taxes in Arlington Heights.

Reactions: Pez68

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
They can announce plans all they want. This is nowhere near a done deal if they're asking for taxpayer dollars, which they are.

I'm against this unless it's a massively lopsided deal towards the City. Don't give them anything, make them go pay property taxes in Arlington Heights.
Yep. The Bears and White Sox have earned absolutely nothing from the city of Chicago.

Reactions: belfour30

Idionym

Apr 6, 2015
Chicago
It says the Bears are committing 2 billion. That’s a big chunk of change.
Trib says that the project will be projected at around $4 bil, so the Bears are going to pay only half. In addition, any additional costs incurred (which will almost certainly happen) will fall on taxpayers. We'll need to see some real benefits to spend $2 bil on this.

Sarava

May 9, 2010
West Dundee, IL
I'll start by saying the Sox don't deserve shit. They wont even spend money on themselves... so why should the taxpayers spend money on them? And as you all know, I am a Sox fan. But besides that - baseball stadiums have no real use outside of baseball.

For the Bears - I think a dome in the Chicago area has good benefits to the entire Chicago area - whether it's in Chicago or Arlington Heights. We've discussed this before and I've made it clear I prefer Arlington Heights. I grew up in Palatine and live in West Dundee now. I've always wanted one of my teams to move out here.

Arlington Park looked like a lock until Kevin Warren took over. Now it looks like a longshot. I guess the word is the Bears would spend 2 bil, which leaves probably another bil to the taxpayers, plus all the infrastructure work, which might be another billion.

If the Bears can gain most of the benefits of ownership in Arlington Park, while not being the official owners in Chicago - by spending half the money. Of course they will prefer that deal in Chicago.

Can they get that approved while the city and state are in such financial peril? Time will tell.

Sarava

May 9, 2010
West Dundee, IL

And regarding Arlington Park taxes, I think its already been said they will come way down. But the Bears don't seem to want to go there anymore. At least yet.

Idionym

Apr 6, 2015
Chicago
And regarding Arlington Park taxes, I think its already been said they will come way down. But the Bears don't seem to want to go there anymore. At least yet.
The village gave them a deal, but I believe the school districts, which are much more important in the property tax discussion, haven't.

Sarava

May 9, 2010
West Dundee, IL
The village gave them a deal, but I believe the school districts, which are much more important in the property tax discussion, haven't.
I thought I read a few weeks ago the school districts were willing to come down. Maybe I misread it.

And those districts have money. I ran across a pdf of District 211 teacher salaries. Most of them could afford a Porsche with what they take home.

Idionym

Apr 6, 2015
Chicago
I thought I read a few weeks ago the school districts were willing to come down. Maybe I misread it.

And those districts have money. I ran across a pdf of District 211 teacher salaries. Most of them could afford a Porsche with what they take home.
I believe you're correct that they were willing to come down from ~190m. It was still in the mid 100s, if I recall correctly, which the Bears were still complaining about.

The school districts having money or not having money is pretty irrelevant here imo. The real benefit for these school districts is that they now can substantially lower their property tax levy while still providing quality services to students, which should increase property values. That would be my goal if I was on the school board, at least.

DropIt

Oct 21, 2009
Red Deer, AB

Quite a few pundits have said if not for the medical, he is far and away the best pass rusher in the draft.

bwanajamba

Apr 18, 2019
Quite a few pundits have said if not for the medical, he is far and away the best pass rusher in the draft.
He's the best with regard to technique, Turner is the superior athlete, Verse is somewhere in between and may be the safest pick. It's a pretty interesting dynamic. Not sure any of the three inspire me all that much though, if it weren't such a clear position of need I would probably not want to pick any of them in the top 10.

Reactions: Idionym
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad