OT: Bears & NFL Talk 98

Status
Not open for further replies.

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
On the #9 pick: I'm just not sure DL1 is much better than DL5. If he isn't, and someone is wanting to trade up for OT2 or CB1 (or even a specific D lineman), I think you can still get DL3-5 in the late teens (or even later with Newton).

And trading down to late teens probably means a 2nd rounder around pick #50. I think that's worth it. That's me though, where I stand with the DLinemen.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
On the #9 pick: I'm just not sure DL1 is much better than DL5. If he isn't, and someone is wanting to trade up for OT2 or CB1 (or even a specific D lineman), I think you can still get DL3-5 in the late teens (or even later with Newton).

And trading down to late teens probably means a 2nd rounder around pick #50. I think that's worth it. That's me though, where I stand with the DLinemen.
Just trying to recall recent trade up/downs for picks in the 9 range.
(Ones that do not involve a QB)

12 to 6 (Mia/Phi) cost Mia a 1st rounder
12 to 6 (Det/AZ) cost AZ Houston's 2nd rounder
18 to 27 (SEA/GB) in 2018 cost GB a 3rd rounder

It was the 2022 draft that NO made multiple moves to go up to get Olave. Phi also moved up to get Davis. Have to piece meal all of the TX that went on there to see what transpired.

Reactions: Romang67

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
Just trying to recall recent trade up/downs for picks in the 9 range.
(Ones that do not involve a QB)

12 to 6 (Mia/Phi) cost Mia a 1st rounder
12 to 6 (Det/AZ) cost AZ Houston's 2nd rounder
18 to 27 (SEA/GB) in 2018 cost GB a 3rd rounder

It was the 2022 draft that NO made multiple moves to go up to get Olave. Phi also moved up to get Davis. Have to piece meal all of the TX that went on there to see what transpired.
Yeah, I think the draft pick value is there. Might be for a 3rd rounder, but I think a 2nd is realistic. The tricky part is obviously finding a team that is 1) in the right range that there are still good 3T or DE on the board and 2) feels like they need to jump teams for their player.

This all goes out the window if QB4 is still on the board. Vikings, Broncos, Raiders, plus arguably Saints and Seahawks are all QB needy teams that the Bears can shop the pick to in that scenario. In that scenario, I also think that WR3 would definitely be off the board.

ndgt10

Jul 3, 2009
Poland
All I have to say is wow
1000016894.jpg

HeisenBaez

Nov 3, 2008
Heart of Dixie
Diggs trade seems to only be for one year. Bit of a head scratcher, IMO. High risk, high reward, but only for a year.
I just read that part of the trade was that Houston dropped three of the years of his contract, making him a FA after 2024. Which means Houston gave up a 2nd for one year of Diggs. That 4th for Allen looking so much better, imo.

Reactions: Giovi and Romang67

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
I just read that part of the trade was that Houston dropped three of the years of his contract, making him a FA after 2024. Which means Houston gave up a 2nd for one year of Diggs. That 4th for Allen looking so much better, imo.

Houston will get comp pick though when Diggs leaves for FA will they not?

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
Waiting for Newton to have his pro day, but I think I'm coming around on the Bears drafting him, hopefully after a small trade down.

He's a fair bit longer than I thought, so arm length isn't an issue. That, plus the fact that he played half the year on a broken foot, both alleviate some of my question marks about him.

Reactions: hawksrule

ndgt10

Jul 3, 2009
Poland
Waiting for Newton to have his pro day, but I think I'm coming around on the Bears drafting him, hopefully after a small trade down.

He's a fair bit longer than I thought, so arm length isn't an issue. That, plus the fact that he played half the year on a broken foot, both alleviate some of my question marks about him.
I like Murphy over him for DT

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
I like Murphy over him for DT
I worry about Murphy's snap count. In two fewer games, Newton played 70% more snaps, coming out to essentially twice as many snaps per game. He must have played gassed a ton. He also didn't have another top 5 DT in the draft playing next to him.

I think either would be good, but I'd rather take a shot at the guy who for all intents and purposes was his team's defense.

ndgt10

Jul 3, 2009
Poland
I worry about Murphy's snap count. In two fewer games, Newton played 70% more snaps, coming out to essentially twice as many snaps per game. He must have played gassed a ton. He also didn't have another top 5 DT in the draft playing next to him.

I think either would be good, but I'd rather take a shot at the guy who for all intents and purposes was his team's defense.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Money and cap it very similar to Allen. $23.1 mill for Allen and $22 mill for Diggs.

2025 1st for a 2024 6th and 2025 5th were the draft picks swapped. Typically a 5th & 6th would just move you up into Round 4 of a draft at best or just higher in round 5. Talking about 100 slots in the draft give or take, between a 2nd and a late 4th/early 5th that those 2 picks net out to be.

And Allen can net you a comp pick, depending on the Bear's activity in free agency in 2025.

Though both will be early 30's WR and there isn't a massive incentive for teams to give them over $40 mill in guaranteed money given the talent that comes out at WR these days in the draft.

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
I love how football hasn’t been played in like three months but now Fields is a bum and everyone is excited for Caleb. When the media narrative drives opinions >>>>>

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
I love how football hasn’t been played in like three months but now Fields is a bum and everyone is excited for Caleb. When the media narrative drives opinions >>>>>

To be fair a large chunk of fans (Including myself) were more than willing to point out Fields failings but were drowned out and attacked by pro-Fields media and fans who despite being minority were absurdly loud

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
To be fair a large chunk of fans (Including myself) were more than willing to point out Fields failings but were drowned out and attacked by pro-Fields media and fans who despite being minority were absurdly loud
A lot of people who supported Fields now act like they weren't talking about trading down for the #HAUL two months ago.

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
I do not get what to say about that... like, it's 99.99% certainty Caleb Williams is being drafted.

Do you think there should be people angrily or crazily talking into the wind about wanting something that won't happen? I'm sure if people like Fiddy were into football you'd get that here, hell, he probably had some posts about not drafting Bedard & trading the pick because he is too small or something back last summer, but who would of actively continued to read that?

Reactions: hawksrule

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
I do not get what to say about that... like, it's 99.99% certainty Caleb Williams is being drafted.

Do you think there should be people angrily or crazily talking into the wind about wanting something that won't happen? I'm sure if people like Fiddy were into football you'd get that here, hell, he probably had some posts about not drafting Bedard & trading the pick because he is too small or something back last summer, but who would of actively continued to read that?
No I don't. I get your point. My only point was zero games have happened, and other than Fields getting traded for a #2 meal, nothing has changed about Fields. So for people to go from supporting a trade down to saying Fields is a bum in two months with zero game tape is telling on yourself.

I know that Josh is big on Murphy but I like Newton more and I would gladly trade down for him and pick up a 2nd.

Reactions: Romang67
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad