OT: Bears & NFL Talk 97

Status
Not open for further replies.

HeisenBaez

Nov 3, 2008
Heart of Dixie
I can’t remember the last time that happened. NFL teams keep the players they draft
Eli Manning forced a trade from S.D. to NY. Peyton Manning went back to school instead of being drafted by the Jets. Williams' father has already hinted his son would rather go back to USC than to be drafted by the Bears. I'm telling ya, Williams and his father are a headache waiting to happen.

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
Eli Manning forced a trade from S.D. to NY. Peyton Manning went back to school instead of being drafted by the Jets. Williams' father has already hinted his son would rather go back to USC than to be drafted by the Bears. I'm telling ya, Williams and his father are a headache waiting to happen.
No he hasn't. Spreading misinformation is bad.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Yeah, the closest that I've heard is that he has a list of teams that he'd be most thrilled to play for. Even if you potentially extended that to a list of teams that if they're first overall that he'd just go back to the NCAA and get Big Ten NIL money for a year, so what? That'd have no impact on us, as he'd either declare and lose eligibility or not declare and we wouldn't be able to draft him.

If he declares, he's doing so knowing that the Bears might ruin draft him and that he's thereby okay with that.

And look, we all know our QB track record. If a QB prospect isn't a bit worried about coming here, he's probably dumber than a box of rocks or is just thrilled at the overreach that we took in getting him.

Illinihockey

Jun 15, 2010

So one time ever and it happened 20 years ago because a player wanted to go to a big market. Second where did Williams father say that. What’s the exact quote

Sarava

May 9, 2010
West Dundee, IL
No he hasn't. Spreading misinformation is bad.
Click this link for the rumor. This rumor was never verified as far as I know, but I do recall the rumor.

I think if you're the Bears and...and if you get the #1 pick and if you want to select Caleb with that pick, you talk to him and let him speak for himself on if he wants to be a Bear or not. You obviously don't want to bring someone in that doesn't want to be here. But hopefully that's not the case.

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
Click this link for the rumor. This rumor was never verified as far as I know, but I do recall the rumor.

I think if you're the Bears and...and if you get the #1 pick and if you want to select Caleb with that pick, you talk to him and let him speak for himself on if he wants to be a Bear or not. You obviously don't want to bring someone in that doesn't want to be here. But hopefully that's not the case.
Right, to my earlier point about misinformation spread being bad. The "source" for that rumor is literally just some bloke on twitter. That's it. Some bored dude made something up on Twitter, and it spread for a little bit because Twitter is a cesspool of misinformation and people don't generally take the time to verify anything they see.

Sarava

May 9, 2010
West Dundee, IL
Right, to my earlier point about misinformation spread being bad. The "source" for that rumor is literally just some bloke on twitter. That's it. Some bored dude made something up on Twitter, and it spread for a little bit because Twitter is a cesspool of misinformation and people don't generally take the time to verify anything they see.
Totally agree. But you can see why Caleb liking that tweet the other day would start making people believe it a bit more. It's adding to a narrative that was already out there (however legit or bs that it was) that he doesn't want to come to Chicago.

As I said, if the Bears end up in that position, they just need to talk to him and go from there.

Idionym

Apr 6, 2015
Chicago
Totally agree. But you can see why Caleb liking that tweet the other day would start making people believe it a bit more. It's adding to a narrative that was already out there (however legit or bs that it was) that he doesn't want to come to Chicago.

As I said, if the Bears end up in that position, they just need to talk to him and go from there.
Apparently he's known to like tweets that are talking shit about him, so the whole tweet "scandal" is overblown.

Reactions: Paul Allen

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL

I mean, he liked another tweet right after talking about his going to the Bears.

The media desperately need controversy to push before the draft. Don't feed into it.

Reactions: Idionym

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
Apparently he's known to like tweets that are talking shit about him, so the whole tweet "scandal" is overblown.
That liked tweet resulted in actual articles (being generous with the terms actual and article) being written because it drives clicks and feed controversy. The other tweet that he liked talking about his going to the Bears did not.

Sports media is in a bad place.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
If a prospect's biggest knock is that they liked a non-racist/sexist/homophobic tweet, then they're a pretty attractive prospect.

And, again, even if the rumor is true and he absolutely will not play for the Bears, he'll just not declare and thereby keep his collegiate eligibility, so we wouldn't be able to draft him anyway.

Sarava

May 9, 2010
West Dundee, IL
I mean, he liked another tweet right after talking about his going to the Bears.

The media desperately need controversy to push before the draft. Don't feed into it.
I actually don't care either way. Though I'm leaning towards wanting to draft him if they get the #1. The other options are pretty glorious as well.

Reactions: Romang67

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
To not play the bowl game but comeback would be the biggest disrespect to the team and lockeroom

He's coming into the draft.

Solid point. That was a pretty polite bridge burning. He'd probably be inclined to enter the transfer portal in that case, which I kind of doubt.

He's not some monolingual guy trying to avoid Quebec, he'll accept the Bears' millions.

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
I actually don't care either way. Though I'm leaning towards wanting to draft him if they get the #1. The other options are pretty glorious as well.
I think that's a sensible way to view it. If, at draft time, Williams for some reason decides that he's requesting a trade because he hates deep dish, Poles will have to deal with it then. I think we're past the point of it being remotely plausible that he doesn't enter the draft since he's sitting out the bowl game.

Reactions: Sarava

Sarava

May 9, 2010
West Dundee, IL
I think that's a sensible way to view it. If, at draft time, Williams for some reason decides that he's requesting a trade because he hates deep dish, Poles will have to deal with it then. I think we're past the point of it being remotely plausible that he doesn't enter the draft since he's sitting out the bowl game.
It could be that he views the Bears ruined Fields' development and he doesn't want the same happening to him. Who knows man. Like we said, this might be all made up.

Just get the #1 and good things are coming no matter what.

Go Jaguars!

HeisenBaez

Nov 3, 2008
Heart of Dixie
Let say Eberflus/Poles do come back in 2024 (which, imo, is very likely at this point), they are not going to put their future in Chicago in the hands of a rookie. They MAY draft Caleb Williams but my guess is that they'll probably sign a bridge QB, like Tannahill or Minshew, and basically have Caleb redshirt his rookie season. That, imo, would be the only scenario I could tolerate taking Williams.

IMO, Marvin Harrison Jr or a trade down (especially if you get another DJ Moore type package for the #1 pick) helps the Bears win more in 2024 than Caleb Williams.

Praetorian Caps

May 15, 2018
Let say Eberflus/Poles do come back in 2024 (which, imo, is very likely at this point), they are not going to put their future in Chicago in the hands of a rookie. They MAY draft Caleb Williams but my guess is that they'll probably sign a bridge QB, like Tannahill or Minshew, and basically have Caleb redshirt his rookie season. That, imo, would be the only scenario I could tolerate taking Williams.

IMO, Marvin Harrison Jr or a trade down (especially if you get another DJ Moore type package for the #1 pick) helps the Bears win more in 2024 than Caleb Williams.
If Eberflus comes back next season there's no way to justify drafting him a QB in a lame duck year. Poles would have to be an idiot. That's precisely why we're in this mess in the first place and how the Trubisky Nagy cluster bust happened.

If Matt comes back he's got to roll with Fields or if Poles wants to draft a new QB, whoever he is, then bring in a new coach so they'll be on the same time line. The last thing I want is for someone else's signal caller to be hoisted on the new coach and we start this cycle for third bloody time!?

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL

The 2 year tenured GM isn't going to draft a rookie QB? Is Poles on the hot seat?

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont

If Carolina loses 1 of the next two games, or the Cardinals win a game, and Caleb Williams doesn’t get hurt in preseason or training camp, he is starting week 1 for the Chicago Bears.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad