OT: Bears & NFL Talk 91

Status
Not open for further replies.

Illinihockey

Jun 15, 2010
Imagine complaining about a dome in 2022. If you build a stadium these days thats exclusively outdoors in a cold weather area, you're insane. Won't even touch the whole "bears weather" nonsense.

It also can give you a pretty significant home field advantage.

madgoat33

May 16, 2010
To be fair to him, neither do I. Ive never been to a bears or hawks game. In fact, I've been to only two games the past 10 years and they were both Sox games and one was for my brother's bachelor party.

Space umpire

Nov 15, 2018
Cocoa Beach, Florida
To be fair to him, neither do I. Ive never been to a bears or hawks game. In fact, I've been to only two games the past 10 years and they were both Sox games and one was for my brother's bachelor party.
So your (and MBM’s) player opinions are 100% what you saw when they happened to be on camera or what someone else wrote?

I don’t think you go off often but the other TV only fan here is VERY opinionated on who sucks and why.
Newsflash, unless the camera is on a guy the entire shift and you can see all other players within 30 feet you can’t properly evaluate why a player made the move he did. So much of why a guy is ok, good, great (or bad) is what he does when he’s not within 15 feet of the puck

(Example) the comments alleging DelMastro screwed up leading to a goal against in the WJC.
Then it’s pointed out a teammate got injured and left him to cover 2 guys (not readily seen on TV).
All of a sudden, while the outcome wasn’t desired the way he played it was likely correct.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
I'm an old man. I just want to be comfortable and not inconvenienced. Gimme a pleasant indoor game when it's 101⁰ with a blistering sun or -2⁰ in a blizzard and anything in between.

And this is coming from someone that'd readily admit that snow games are my favorite ones to watch.... on TV.

Last edited:

madgoat33

May 16, 2010
So your (and MBM’s) player opinions are 100% what you saw when they happened to be on camera or what someone else wrote?

I don’t think you go off often but the other TV only fan here is VERY opinionated on who sucks and why.
Newsflash, unless the camera is on a guy the entire shift and you can see all other players within 30 feet you can’t properly evaluate why a player made the move he did. So much of why a guy is ok, good, great (or bad) is what he does when he’s not within 15 feet of the puck

(Example) the comments alleging DelMastro screwed up leading to a goal against in the WJC.
Then it’s pointed out a teammate got injured and left him to cover 2 guys (not readily seen on TV).
All of a sudden, while the outcome wasn’t desired the way he played it was likely correct.
Don't think Ive ever claimed to be a scout.... Don't have to see 41 games in person a year to see Lankinen stank and Kubalik was invisible.

Clownish

Jan 1, 2014
Imagine complaining about a dome in 2022. If you build a stadium these days thats exclusively outdoors in a cold weather area, you're insane. Won't even touch the whole "bears weather" nonsense.

I like retractable roof stadiums, but to play devil's advocate--do the Bears beat the Saints in the NFC Championship game in better conditions than what was going on during that game?

madgoat33

May 16, 2010
I like retractable roof stadiums, but to play devil's advocate--do the Bears beat the Saints in the NFC Championship game in better conditions than what was going on during that game?
In today's NFL, building a team with the idea that you might get a slight advantage in bad weather seems like a recipe for mediocrity. Look at the teams that have won the SB the past 10-15 years.

Clownish

Jan 1, 2014
In today's NFL, building a team with the idea that you might get a slight advantage in bad weather seems like a recipe for mediocrity. Look at the teams that have won the SB the past 10-15 years.
I don't disagree; I was just asking a theoretical question, not trying to argue that they should hold tight to some "football is meant to be played in the mud" type of mantra. I think teams have to be more evolved than the early 2000's Rams and capable of adapting a game plan for the weather, but games where that is absolutely needed are very infrequent.

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
It's not... advantage.. its just enjoyment of the true nature of the elements. I don't get the view that wants equal bland level playing fields. It's worse that nhl rinks don't have any major differences in space behind the net or things like that.

Having rain, snow, and wind games is just more chaotic and exciting. I don't see the point of a retractable dome because what's the point of even keeping it open. It will be closed anytime it would be making a difference

madgoat33

May 16, 2010
I dont think its more exciting, in fact, I think it detracts from the sport. Adding randomness to sports stinks.

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
I dont think its more exciting, in fact, I think it detracts from the sport. Adding randomness to sports stinks.
Pro sports should be played indoors. All of them. It's the purest form of competition when you take the elements out of it.

It will be nice when wind-aided HR and FG are a thing of the past.

I'm sure baseball players would rather play in a 72 degree climate controlled environment rather than having day games with a 95 degree sun beating down on them.

• Haha
Reactions: IU Hawks fan

madgoat33

May 16, 2010
Pro sports should be played indoors. All of them. It's the purest form of competition when you take the elements out of it.

Especially with the advent of field turf that isnt complete shit like astroturf was. I dont mind baseball outdoors, but I do think they need to wrap is up by mid october at the latest. They never will do it, but cutting down to 150 games would be smart IMO.

Reactions: Kaners Bald Spot

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
Especially with the advent of field turf that isnt complete shit like astroturf was. I dont mind baseball outdoors, but I do think they need to wrap is up by mid october at the latest. They never will do it, but cutting down to 150 games would be smart IMO.
They really should go back to 154. They never will, and now Game 7 of the WS is usually scheduled for Halloween. If they're not going to do that, then every new stadium should have a retractable roof until there are no open-air only stadiums left.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Let's all remember that BWC famously admitted that he doesn't even go to sporting events.

Yeah, I don't go to games anymore

Too many idiots attending especially drunks, too costly and frankly a major hassle to attend

When I was younger, I went to Wolves, White Sox and other assorted games (Brewers/Cubs game in Milwaukee, A few Rivermen game when they were in IHL and ECHL)

Only attended one Bears game and it was great experience with cold and wind with occasional snow. Sitting behind Mangold family made it even more enjoyable as his father would taunt Bear fans with Jets, Jets, Jets after every Jets score/big play. At one point was pelted with snow which he enjoyed until security had everyone in area stop. He was trash talking but good-natured talk to people with many going up to him after game as everyone was leaving to rib him about final score before leaving. His sister very much was a mountain of a woman, and it is easy to see why she played OL on a high school men's football team

+ Cutty threw 3 TD's and ran for another

Only real hassle was trying to take piss during halftime as lines were long and moved at snail's pace

hawksrule

Lot of brains but no polish
May 18, 2014

I'm sure baseball players would rather play in a 72 degree climate controlled environment rather than having day games with a 95 degree sun beating down on them.
I’ve never heard of anyone preferring indoor baseball.

Sarava

May 9, 2010
West Dundee, IL
I think if a new stadium is built, a retractable roof is definitely the way to go for these rainy days (or snowy days since baseball pushes both edges of winter). But otherwise, keep it outdoors.

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
I think if a new stadium is built, a retractable roof is definitely the way to go for these rainy days (or snowy days since baseball pushes both edges of winter). But otherwise, keep it outdoors.

This. Ideally you want a retractable roof for poor weather cities like Chicago. Would be nice for the Sox to not play in 40 degrees weather 25% of the season....

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois

On a perfect day, sure. Outdoor baseball is far better.

But during a cold and/or damp April or October game, or during a blazing hot July or August game? Weather control is damn nice.

And don't get me started on games being postponed due to weather.

Reactions: Kaners Bald Spot

Crow

May 19, 2014
The Sox seem to have a cold weather disadvantage for what it’s worth. I could probably stand to see more bears games if it wasn’t freezing or raining so often.

Reactions: Pez68

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
On a perfect day, sure. Outdoor baseball is far better.

But during a cold and/or damp April or October game, or during a blazing hot July or August game? Weather control is damn nice.

And don't get me started on games being postponed due to weather.
This. I'm on the retractable roof camp for baseball. It should be closed if below 65 degrees or above 85.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad