OT: Bears & NFL Talk 79

Status
Not open for further replies.

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
I'm not sure the Bears were the worst 4-1 team to start today. I dont know what's up with the Rams here but I know the 9ers were trash when I saw them earlier

Illinihockey

Jun 15, 2010
The Bears defense is elite. People keep saying they suck because the offense is bad, but we've used this formula before.

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
The Bears defense is elite. People keep saying they suck because the offense is bad, but we've used this formula before.

Elite might be stretching it but they are very, very good. I still don’t trust Pagano, his scheme doesn’t pass the eye test for me. I mean look at who they’ve played.... do any of those offenses impress you?

Let’s see how they look these next 3 weeks against some good to great offenses before we call them elite

Reactions: Duck Off

Illinihockey

Jun 15, 2010
Elite might be stretching it but they are very, very good. I still don’t trust Pagano, his scheme doesn’t pass the eye test for me. I mean look at who they’ve played.... do any of those offenses impress you?

Let’s see how they look these next 3 weeks against some good to great offenses before we call them elite

The Buccaneers are 2nd in points scored this season and the Colts are 10th. Carolina was averaging 24.4 points per game and the Bears held them to 16 yesterday

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com

I don't think they are elite at all. They have played well for stretches against some sketchy competition. The Bucs last week were missing just about all their WR's. I think the D is good and yesterday the enemy was all the damn flags.

Fuller personal fall was nonsense. They didn't even show a good replay of the over the back PI. Maybe the defence is getting better as we go along this season. They need to be kept off the field and all the early game 3 and outs don't help.

Anyways, I still think GB is going to be a problem even though they looked like crap yesterday.

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
The Buccaneers are 2nd in points scored this season and the Colts are 10th. Carolina was averaging 24.4 points per game and the Bears held them to 16 yesterday

Aren’t road teams on Thursday games almost always terrible? Didn’t Godwin miss the game and Evans has been hurt all season. And no Howard either I think.

Carolina was missing their best player and a WR.

I’m not sure what to make of the Colts yet, I just find it hard to believe their offense is that good with Rivers. You realize they’ve played...

Vikings - giving up the second most points per game in the league
Browns - 3rd most points allowed per game
Jets - 4th most points allowed per game
Jaguars - 8th most points allowed per game
Bengals - middle of the pack

Backyard Hockey

Dealing With It
Feb 13, 2015
The defense is baffling just like the offense is. They excel in many of the key stats. Starting to get turnovers and have had two pick 6s overturned.

But we see them struggle against the run. Middle of the field is often wide open. Pass rush was non existent for a couple games.

The rush is coming into it's own and that's starting to manifest itself. Pressure leads to picks.

Defense is giving up 19 ppg. That should win you almost every game in today's NFL. Bears have allowed 1 TD in each of the last 3 games. The one TD was a gift on a terrible call.

But like everyone has said - the season will go as these next 5 games go. Shit's gonna get real in the next 5 games.

The offense is scoring 21 PPG. And that's against some bad defenses and with short fields.

The offense has scored 21 points or less in 15 of 22 games in the 2019 and 20 seasons.

They've scored more than 30 in 3/22 games and twice in the last 19 games.

That simply won't get it done in today's NFL. Elite or great defense just simply isn't enough.

Reactions: Boqvy wan Kenobi

Backyard Hockey

Dealing With It
Feb 13, 2015
Stat:

10 days to prepare for the 25th ranked rushing defense with their best defensive player out.

Bears (in a close game) had 13 rushing yards at halftime and 63 for the game.

Barf.

Illinihockey

Jun 15, 2010
Aren’t road teams on Thursday games almost always terrible? Didn’t Godwin miss the game and Evans has been hurt all season. And no Howard either I think.

Carolina was missing their best player and a WR.

I’m not sure what to make of the Colts yet, I just find it hard to believe their offense is that good with Rivers. You realize they’ve played...

Vikings - giving up the second most points per game in the league
Browns - 3rd most points allowed per game
Jets - 4th most points allowed per game
Jaguars - 8th most points allowed per game
Bengals - middle of the pack

Goodwin didn't play but everyone else did. Is your premise Goodwin is the reason they destroyed the Packers last night?

Illinihockey

Jun 15, 2010
The defense is baffling just like the offense is. They excel in many of the key stats. Starting to get turnovers and have had two pick 6s overturned.

But we see them struggle against the run. Middle of the field is often wide open. Pass rush was non existent for a couple games.

The rush is coming into it's own and that's starting to manifest itself. Pressure leads to picks.

Defense is giving up 19 ppg. That should win you almost every game in today's NFL. Bears have allowed 1 TD in each of the last 3 games. The one TD was a gift on a terrible call.

But like everyone has said - the season will go as these next 5 games go. Shit's gonna get real in the next 5 games.

The offense is scoring 21 PPG. And that's against some bad defenses and with short fields.

The offense has scored 21 points or less in 15 of 22 games in the 2019 and 20 seasons.

They've scored more than 30 in 3/22 games and twice in the last 19 games.

That simply won't get it done in today's NFL. Elite or great defense just simply isn't enough.

Bears defense has also had 2 touchdowns erased for absolutely garbage PI calls

Reactions: ChiHawks10

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
At least one and sometimes both teams have put up 30 in every Thursday night game this week.

Excluding our game, 3 of those defenses are worst in the league.

Houston @ KC - 20
Cincinnati @ Cleveland - 30
Miami @ Jacksonville - 31
Denver @ Jets - 37

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois

Sure, but even the good examples of this formula have ended with being pretty disappointed at the end of the day and mostly left fans disappointed at wasting good defense with mediocre at best offense.

But hey, we're in a pretty enviable position record-wise six weeks in. Work from there. Hold on defense and improve on offenses for the rest of the season.

Illinihockey

Jun 15, 2010
If the Bears had a great offense and a great defense they'd be Super Bowl favorites. The vast majority of teams don't have a great offense and a great defense.

Reactions: ChiHawks10

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
5-1 is great. Obviously, they've won ugly, but they should be a playoff team, they just go .500 the rest of the way. With Vikings (2 times), Lions, Hou and Jags still on the schedule, you would think they could do that, even if they fall back down to earth a bit. But it's the Bears, so they are going to be in almost every game and every game is winnable or losable, lol.

The offense needs to be better. That Foles pick can't happen. This team can't afford to give away points like that. I wish Nagy would cut out the dumb shit, but he just can't help himself. 3rd and 2 trying to milk the clock and Montgomery isn't even in the game. WTF is that?

The defense is really good though. Pagano seems to favor the bend but don't break approach and it's worked thus far. The defense has come up big when they've had too.

The NFC is really wide open right now. I'd argue that the 3 or 4 best team in the NFL are in the AFC right now.

The next 3 weeks should tell us a lot. Rams/Saints/Titans. I wouldn't be surprised if the Bears beat any of those teams or lost to any of those teams honestly.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
You have to think/hope they’ll only gel the more they play together. Biggest problem is the offensive line isn’t going to get any better and our run game is going to suffer between that and our coach.

Agreed, that's my hope. And we're in a position where room for improvement is a very good thing.

5-1 and we can be better! Great!

1-5 and we can be better? Who cares? Tear it down!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad