Bears and NFL Talk Thread LIV: Khalil Mack's a Bear!

Status
Not open for further replies.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
The ESPN article implies it's on Bears ownership. This is how they've done it for years and don't want to set a precedent for other rookies. It's about control even though the Bears DON'T have a history of taking back guarantees. At least that's what I inferred.

I'm sure CAA was the source for Graziano's story ... and he followed up by detailing Trubisky and Floyd's contract. After the Giants and Bills relented on the contract language regarding Barkley and Edmunds respectively, the Bears are now losing the PR battle. Unless CAA is demanding Smith's bonus should be guaranteed despite PED suspensions, felonies, etc., I suspect the Bears are going to lose the PR battle.

The Bears ownership just can't help themselves I guess.

Reactions: ChiHawks10

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
I'm convinced that the Bears will just circle the drain with occasional surprise splashes that recede to nothing for as long as the McCaskey's run the show. I'd post a solidly funny Urinatingtree video on the Bears, but that's not remotely terms of service safe.

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com
If anything goes wrong - we can take your guaranteed money away! Typical Bears.

I especially like the part referring to negative comments about the Bears, coaches and ownership.

I don’t think the Bears have a history of enforcing stuff like this, quite the contrary if you look through history. I get having the protection but this is over the top.

Currently the only pick not signed through the draft or 2nd to last. Not the last 1st rounder, the last ...lol

TheSting

Jun 22, 2015
After firing John Fox as the scapegoat last year, Pace somehow managed an extension. Too bad his 1st round picks are all laughers!

Kevin White = BUST
Jock Itch Mitch = TBD
Roquan Smith = Last Remaining Unsigned

Bears record under Ryan Pace, 14-34

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
After firing John Fox as the scapegoat last year, Pace somehow managed an extension. Too bad his 1st round picks are all laughers!

Kevin White = BUST
Jock Itch Mitch = TBD

Are you ever going to apologize for being 100% wrong about Carmelo Anthony? You laughed when you said Melo would never WAiVE his no trade clause to go to a losing team. Guess what ...

Sources: Melo finalizes Hawks contract buyout

Everyone makes mistakes, including Ryan Pace. You of all people should understand that. Kevin White is a bust. However, we certainly don't know about Trubisky and Smith.

Self awareness is a sign of intelligence.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN

Kevin White = BUST
Jock Itch Mitch = TBD

The Bears were the worst coached team in the NFL. This is not even controversial a opinion.

TheSting

Jun 22, 2015
The Bears were the worst coached team in the NFL. This is not even controversial a opinion.

What's interesting is the high powered Texans offense with DeShaun Watson under center went down the crapper soon as he got hurt (same coaching staff, same weapons, same coordinator). Weird how that works. The offense became inept overnight when Watson was lost for the year.

The Bad News Bears under rookie learning on the job Ryan Pace has one thing going for them this year...Pace will have no scapegoats if the Bears suck again this year.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland

Actually it was over last 3 years when half this board was telling me how good a job Fox was doing and defending him

The guy was bum and some of us pointed that out from moment he signed onto organization

Few of us could imagine that he would make us pine for Lovie Smith but he did just that

That is true. The time for excuses are over. It's do or do not do.

Yep if this team puts up a 6-10 season or another lackluster 5-11 season or worse then Pace deserves to be fired. The excuses are running out for the so called 'Genius"

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Bears ownership/management is only making reputation worse and pushing more fan disinterest in Chicago with this fight with Smith and his agent

The McCaskey Bears continue to be joke as always

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
What's interesting is the high powered Texans offense with DeShaun Watson under center went down the crapper soon as he got hurt (same coaching staff, same weapons, same coordinator). Weird how that works. The offense became inept overnight when Watson was lost for the year.

The Bad News Bears under rookie learning on the job Ryan Pace has one thing going for them this year...Pace will have no scapegoats if the Bears suck again this year.

What the hell are you even talking about?

That is true. The time for excuses are over. It's do or do not do.

I agree. Pace was given time to clear out the garbage and draft/sign his team. Now they have to produce. I don't think anyone would argue this.

Actually it was over last 3 years when half this board was telling me how good a job Fox was doing and defending him

The guy was bum and some of us pointed that out from moment he signed onto organization

Few of us could imagine that he would make us pine for Lovie Smith but he did just that

I don't really remember that many people doing that but you tend exaggerate things. I do recall people giving him some "runway" because he was given a garbage team by Emery and Trestman. People wanted him to implement discipline and hard working culture at Halas Hall but he failed. He was a bad hire and how he operated makes it seem like a cash grab by him.

Nagy seems like the real deal but we won't know anything until the team takes the field during the regular season. This team finally has talent on both sides of the ball at what seems like every position which is not something we have been able to say in a long time. Kind of feels good but we all know it could be a huge let down.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
What the hell are you even talking about?

I agree. Pace was given time to clear out the garbage and draft/sign his team. Now they have to produce. I don't think anyone would argue this.

I don't really remember that many people doing that but you tend exaggerate things. I do recall people giving him some "runway" because he was given a garbage team by Emery and Trestman. People wanted him to implement discipline and hard working culture at Halas Hall but he failed. He was a bad hire and how he operated makes it seem like a cash grab by him.

Nagy seems like the real deal but we won't know anything until the team takes the field during the regular season. This team finally has talent on both sides of the ball at what seems like every position which is not something we have been able to say in a long time. Kind of feels good but we all know it could be a huge let down.

Me either. I don't think I ever liked the Fox signing...

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
I hope I’m not getting something about this because this looks awfully stupid on his end. :facepalm:

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
Not a good look for CAA or Smith. Wonder why the Bears waited so long to release this.
Save face for Roquan. CAA might be doing all the negotiations. Also, you still want to keep a good relationship with the player. At some point, the team has to say enough is enough. It sounds like the Bears relented on the helmet to helmet clause before Saturday.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
May I remind you its the Bears releasing this information to Chicago Media so take it with grain of salt

And the Trevathon part doesn't really support Bears or damn Smith and his agents because that was before the new NFL rule/punishment so saying that in past they didn't pursue action on a veteran player doesn't really apply here

Also players on rookie contracts and veterans get very different treatment. Bears going after Guaranteed $ of a veteran FA signing would have looked bad and hurt them going forward

Sorry but we have seen this BS before in which Bears release info to Haugh or Biggs to be used against a player. We saw it with Jeffery as well in recent years and no fan will say the Bears handled Jeffery situation well

I wont be shocked if CAA releases something negative about Bears to "Sources" in coming days to hit back

The fact people are gleefully falling in line with McCaskey's/Phillips/Pace is sadly what we have seen thru years in which the McCaskey's are given benefit of doubt despite history and then we find out "Oh they were POS as reported"

And the Bears have not relented on helmet to helmet issue because they still refuse to put it in writing. No player should ever take the word of an NFL team as gospel

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
I would also point out the Bears were one's who leaked originally the helmet rule being impasse and then watched fans/media turn on them for stance

Now here we are with this leak to portray the Bears as somehow the victim despite Bears being original leak for original reason for contract impasse

If I am Smith and his agents I go on offensive and withdraw from negotiating table and hold press conference in which I condemn the Bears for releasing false information to media and then go on offensive against Bears management/ownership and its poor history

I would point out the low reputation among players around league and fans with regard to the McCaskey ownership group and ask openly if such people are qualified to run a sports franchise. I would point out the continued employment of Ted Phillips , etc , etc

If Bears want to dirty up the field then I am sure Smith and his agent can do just that. We saw Charges pull this shit with Bosa and try to turn fanbase against him and his family/agents

I cant believe in 2018 that fans still give McCaskey/Phillips/Bears any benefit of the doubt

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
And now we have it out there that Bears claims and leak are BS as always

Bears are using local media for leaks against kid and he and his agents are now going national with there side in this tit for tat fight

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
I would also point out the Bears were one's who leaked originally the helmet rule being impasse and then watched fans/media turn on them for stance

Now here we are with this leak to portray the Bears as somehow the victim despite Bears being original leak for original reason for contract impasse

If I am Smith and his agents I go on offensive and withdraw from negotiating table and hold press conference in which I condemn the Bears for releasing false information to media and then go on offensive against Bears management/ownership and its poor history

I would point out the low reputation among players around league and fans with regard to the McCaskey ownership group and ask openly if such people are qualified to run a sports franchise. I would point out the continued employment of Ted Phillips , etc , etc

If Bears want to dirty up the field then I am sure Smith and his agent can do just that. We saw Charges pull this **** with Bosa and try to turn fanbase against him and his family/agents

I cant believe in 2018 that fans still give McCaskey/Phillips/Bears any benefit of the doubt
I don't know when the Bears relented on the helmet to helmet issue, but I believe they are being truthful about off the field issues impacting guarantees as the sticking point.

CAA is using Roquan Smith and the Bears as the guinea pig vs. NFL. The NFLPA is so weak, the player's agents end up creating precedents. Roquan Smith is an Economics major. He's a smart kid. He might be doing this for the rookies who come after.

I believe CAA and Roquan's demand is a bit unreasonable, but I kind of understand what they are trying to do. NFL guarantees are the weakest of the 5 major team sports. They are doing the job of the NFLPA.

I hope this ends soon. No one's 100% villain in most negotiations. There's usually rational arguments from both sides. In this situation, I side with the Bears ... but I understand Roquan's's stance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad