Bears and NFL Talk Thread LIII: Countdown to the Preseason

Status
Not open for further replies.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
I'm sure there are people that know and watch more on hear than I do, but when I saw him play (mostly the playoffs), I loved him. He was always around the ball and would hit hard. If Bears can't get Nelson, he's my 2nd choice.

Nice. I am a Nelson fan but agree that trading up is a bad idea.

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
I’d be happy with him. There’s not many people I would be disappointed with in the 8 slot.

I know we could use an elite defensive back, but I’m not sure I’d want one for this draft at 8. I’d rather have Chubb or Smith.

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
Well sure, in a vacuum I'd prefer a great guard to a good guard, the same way I'd prefer a great something to a good something. The problem is we only have one pick in the first round, so it's about WHERE you want to be great. I happen to think there would be more impact to the Bears if they drafted a great LB and settled for a good guard than vice versa.

I'm not sure why you wouldn't want a LB in round 1 either. OLB is a critical pass rush position in Vic's defense and ILB is just a critical position in his defense in general.

If I thought there was an equal chance of Smith/Edmunds being great to Nelson being great, I'd agree with you. I just think that Nelson is much more likely to be an All-Pro or best at his position than they are. Give me Nelson.

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
I'm sure there are people that know and watch more on hear than I do, but when I saw him play (mostly the playoffs), I loved him. He was always around the ball and would hit hard. If Bears can't get Nelson, he's my 2nd choice.

I just remember him for some reason as just looking physically bigger and stronger than everyone else when he was involved in a play.

Reactions: b1e9a8r5s

Illinihockey

Jun 15, 2010
If I thought there was an equal chance of Smith/Edmunds being great to Nelson being great, I'd agree with you. I just think that Nelson is much more likely to be an All-Pro or best at his position than they are. Give me Nelson.

Not to belabor the point but you can likely find a starting guard when teams start cutting guys after the draft. Hell the Bears got Sitton that way. You probably aren't finding a starting linebacker in the third wave of free agency.

Illinihockey

Jun 15, 2010
Honestly I'd be OK with something like the Patriots 2 1st rounds in exchange for our pick.

I'd want a little more than the 31st pick if we're moving back to 23. Maybe if they gave 23, 31, and 63 I could stomach it. Would give the Bears picks 23, 31, 39, 63

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
Not to belabor the point but you can likely find a starting guard when teams start cutting guys after the draft. Hell the Bears got Sitton that way. You probably aren't finding a starting linebacker in the third wave of free agency.

Sure, but at 8 I want elite, not just replacement level. I think the chances of Nelson being elite at his position are higher than anyone in the draft.

HawksBeerFan

Nov 9, 2014
Sure there's a better chance of Nelson being that but it still doesn't outweigh the positional value. There's a reason that elite prospects at positions of lesser impact don't get taken in the top 5.

I also agree Edmunds is risky but IMO Smith is a safe bet to be a high impact NFL middle linebacker.

I'm not saying Nelson won't be great or wouldn't be an impact player but the impact of individuals who play his position is much smaller overall than other positions.

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
In general, I like the idea of trading down and getting more picks, but with the QBs and Barkley figuring to go ahead of the Bears, this pick seems more like they will get the 3rd or 4th best player in the draft. I'd want a big haul to move down.

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
Is Mayfield really going to go #1? I just don't think he's going to be a good NFL QB, but maybe I'm way off.

I’d take him over any other QB in this draft. With that said, he doesn’t seem like #1 overall material to me.

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
I’d take him over any other QB in this draft. With that said, he doesn’t seem like #1 overall material to me.
I honestly can't even put my finger on what it is I don't like about him. He just strikes me as a great college QB who won't be a good pro. I feel the same way about Lamar Jackson, but some people like him too. It's quite possible, I'm way off, lol.

That said, there isn't really a QB I love in this draft. Gun to my head, I guess I'd go Darnold, but none of them strike me as #1 pick level talents.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Falling? Smith has been projected at #10-15 for months now.

Smith has been projected as a top 10 pick since bowl game performance and thru combine

His stock has been rising and the combine 40 run really got him shooting up draft boards. He gained 11 pounds before combine and scouts wondered how it would affect him. He then ran an impressive 4.51 putting to bed any doubts and showing he could add weight and not see decline in his abilities

He has been top 10 pick in vast majority of mocks from experts

clydesdale line

Connor BeJesus
Jan 10, 2012
Smith has been projected as a top 10 pick since bowl game performance and thru combine

His stock has been rising

I put #10 down but he's been #10-15 in almost every mock and analyst I've seen till the past few days. Same with Mayfield being the 4th-5th QB now all of a sudden potentially the #1 guy.

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
Lamar Jackson was one of my favorite players to watch in college football, but yeah I see him as a huge bust at the next level.

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma
so its draft day: List who you want:

1. Chubb (I know it's not realistic, but he fills by far our biggest need)
2. Nelson (don't love taking a guard this high, but seems like a can't miss guy)
3. Edmunds (risky taking over Smith, but worth it IMO)

I'd be really happy if we ended up with any of those 3. I'm not crazy about Smith personally. I worry about his size. I see him being a starting LB, but not someone who dominates and makes an impact every game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad